Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 12:56 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,976,739 times

Advertisements

Find a harmless substitute for your cravings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2018, 01:27 PM

11,161 posts, read 7,959,249 times
A full length mirror in the bathroom.

Old 10-25-2018, 02:09 PM

23,291 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
A full length mirror in the bathroom.
Make sure you can't find a way to drape a bathrobe over it or take it off the wall too!

Old 10-25-2018, 02:11 PM

23,291 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
That's my "secret," too. Just don't have the stuff around. My sister is one of those people who can buy Girl Scout cookies, eat two, and put the box in the cabinet and forget about. I can't, so I just don't buy Girl Scout cookies. I don't want to live in a world completely devoid of Doritos, so every so often I'll buy a small snack bag and enjoy the heck out of it. Other times I have to remind myself, "I can have those, but not today."
I actually have intentionally kept one of my nemesis snacks in one cupboard. Every time I see it I am reminded why it's past it's "best if used by" date. A little surge of satisfaction to be able to leave it there.

Old 10-25-2018, 02:59 PM

14,945 posts, read 12,139,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Einhander View Post
Anytime you get stressed or anxious, your body starts to have cravings. And when you feed into the cravings, you do feel temporarily better. It's a strong urge. And sometimes just meditating doesn't work especially if you aren't great with meditating. So at that point, you're stuck. It's not easy.

Are there any things you can reasonably do to look at this issue differently? We are in a society where people will just say either do it or tough luck.
About the only way I can handle it is not to have the junk food available when I want it. That includes not buying it, not having it in the house, not going down the junk food aisles when I am shopping.

Old 10-25-2018, 04:41 PM

19,804 posts, read 9,353,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
I've found that if it's in the house, I'll eat it, all of it, until it's gone.

So for me the battle field is in the grocery store. That's where I have to exercise self discipline. I'll deliberately look the other way when I pass the Entenmann's display.

It helps to have a shopping list and stick to it. When I'm tempted to buy snacks and sweets, I try to remind myself how expensive it is, both in money terms and in health terms.
Absolutely. I started a no-sugar diet (among other restrictions), and the first thing I did was clean out my cabinets of anything processed. The weird thing is that after seven weeks, I no longer even have sugar cravings.

One good snack you can have that's easy and quick is to keep Lindt's 90% chocolate and some strawberries on hand. Whenever I have an urge for something sweet, just melt two squares of chocolate, wash the strawberries and you have an instant, no fuss treat. The chocolate is bitter, but the natural sweetness of the strawberries makes up for that.

Old 10-26-2018, 06:38 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,458,867 times
Depending on your age (the older you are the more it sinks in), take a serious look at unhealthy relatives or friends that are going through health issues (due to poor lifestyle habits - not issues that they cannot help), diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure and let the realization that if you don't change unhealthy junk habits, it will happen to you. I watch 600 Pound Life, particularly the beginning of the episode and I listen and pay very close attention to the pain and suffering these individuals are dealing with. Also diabetes runs in our family and I watch and listen to how these relatives are affected. I was a sugar addict and when I found out I had borderline high blood sugar and that my brother is recently diagnosed with diabetes, I finally convinced myself that sugar is poison. I don't eat junk anymore.

Old 10-26-2018, 12:01 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,267,262 times
First, find other ways to reward yourself and unwind. (A good workout helps me deal with stress!) You need to break the emotional relationship with food.

Second, I agree with Navyshow- look at the consequences of eating too much junk. I'm 65, very active and on zero prescriptions. It's partly luck or the grace of God, partly genetics and partly discipline. I don't want to look like the people I see in Denny's or the ones riding scooters through the grocery store, with an empty sock where their foot used to be. (And the cart is filled with pork ribs, Little Debbie cakes and a case of 7-Up.)

I do have a "short list" of things that I will eat on rare occasions: bakery cake with frosting, pecan pie, good wine.. but because I don't keep those things at home and rarely encounter them outside the house, I don't indulge often enough to cause damage. Even in restaurants where those things are on offer for dessert, I'm usually too full from dinner. I'm also very picky. I know that packaged cookies and cakes leave a chemical aftertaste and a greasy residue in my mouth. I'd rather have something made from good, honest ingredients- butter and sugar, not partially hydrogenated vegetable oil and high-fructose corn syrup.

A friend who's recovering from a serious stroke and was also diagnosed with diabetes after the stroke, just told me he missed eating "normal food". I told him that what he considered "normal food" was the kind of crap that created his health problems and that he needed to re-think "normal".

Old 10-30-2018, 04:45 AM

57 posts, read 60,263 times
Default A second on the lips

Every time you're tempted repeat "a second on the lips forever on the hips"

Also, try to visualize the junk food corroding your arteries.

Finally, after you eat the junk food scrape your teeth with your fingernail and smell the rotten plaque.

Old 10-30-2018, 07:44 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,574,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
I actually have intentionally kept one of my nemesis snacks in one cupboard. Every time I see it I am reminded why it's past it's "best if used by" date. A little surge of satisfaction to be able to leave it there.
Kind of like mounting the head of an animal you successfully hunted on a wall?

I sort of go the other way. For those foods I truly enjoy and would miss if completely removed from my life, I indulge but only in measured amounts. I love ice cream but literally measure out a portion so that I don't overindulge. Although an extreme example, my wife just bought me my all time favorite ice cream ever for my birthday, Haagen Daz Vanilla Swiss Almond. I'm resolved to eating it one spoonful at a time over a two-week period. I would hate myself for consuming 1,000 calories quickly but can easily indulge an extra 50-100 calories per day in pure, icy-cold perfection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss