Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 12:26 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,458,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
It's off topic but I would also recommend Turmeric Circumin. I've been taking it for years for ball joint pain. I don't know if it's arthritis as I've never been diagnosed but it does wonders for me. It's important to take it with piperine aka black pepper extract to help with absorption. As a matter of fact, I was just posting in another thread on this very topic. The title is misspelled (I didn't start it) but it is spelled Turmeric.

Tumeric

Thank you gguerra!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2018, 12:28 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,473,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post
I have to make sure CBD oil doesn't pop on a drug test. Due to my nature of work, they do random testing. I will have to research this a bit.
There is a recent thread where we were discussing this. Kara started it. Thanks Kara.

CBD oil for joint pain?

Old 11-20-2018, 12:37 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times
I have moderate OA and I've been mostly supplement/pill free due to simply moving more (I used to be on 2400 mg ibuprofen daily). Recently though on the stairclimber I've felt stiffness in the knee, so I guess it may be taking a turn for the worse now.

Old 11-20-2018, 12:48 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,906,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I have moderate OA and I've been mostly supplement/pill free due to simply moving more (I used to be on 2400 mg ibuprofen daily). Recently though on the stairclimber I've felt stiffness in the knee, so I guess it may be taking a turn for the worse now.
So sorry to hear that. Try fasting? <<nudge, nudge, giggle, giggle>>

Old 11-20-2018, 02:03 PM

21,872 posts, read 25,129,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I do fasted cardio (work out before I eat in the morning) once a week and there's a noticeable dip in performance. Thankfully the Saturday workout is never as intense as the others, but I absolutely would not fast and then turn around and do a fairly intense workout. When I don't eat, I have just enough to fuel the cardio but none in the tank for weight lifting, which is no bueno for me.

The only reason why I do fasted cardio at all is because I want to see if there's any real difference in terms of calorie burn. Jury's out on that.
I used to do fasting long rides, not eat anything for 20 hours and then do at least 3-4 hours before eating anything at all. That was what I would call old wive's tale fitness regimen. There wasn't a particular scientific basis to it, but the idea was fat adaption. You go out when the body is carb depleted and do a long, easy ride. Since there's nothing else to use for fuel, the body is forced to burn fat which then adapts you to burn more fat when you do have carbs.

I was using a power meter and perceived effort to hold zone 2 for 3-4 hours was definitely harder fasted, but I could hold 60% of FTP for those 3-4 hours. A few times I got a bit carried away on climbs and went up to 80% of FTP. I couldn't hold it. It's a weird feeling. You're not really hurting but you just feel like crap and then the legs just don't work. There's no burning or shortness of breath, the legs just won't go.

Old 11-22-2018, 07:53 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
I used to do fasting long rides, not eat anything for 20 hours and then do at least 3-4 hours before eating anything at all. That was what I would call old wive's tale fitness regimen. There wasn't a particular scientific basis to it, but the idea was fat adaption. You go out when the body is carb depleted and do a long, easy ride. Since there's nothing else to use for fuel, the body is forced to burn fat which then adapts you to burn more fat when you do have carbs.

I was using a power meter and perceived effort to hold zone 2 for 3-4 hours was definitely harder fasted, but I could hold 60% of FTP for those 3-4 hours. A few times I got a bit carried away on climbs and went up to 80% of FTP. I couldn't hold it. It's a weird feeling. You're not really hurting but you just feel like crap and then the legs just don't work. There's no burning or shortness of breath, the legs just won't go.
That is what is known as "hitting the wall." You need carbs for the energy they produce when you really want a good workout. I am just not buying the "workout while fasting" bit. I need energy to work out, so for me that means eating.

Old 11-22-2018, 08:23 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,252,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
That is what is known as "hitting the wall." You need carbs for the energy they produce when you really want a good workout. I am just not buying the "workout while fasting" bit. I need energy to work out, so for me that means eating.
I do my cardio on Tuesday and Thursday, which are my non-fasting days during the week.
I'm pretty sure I'd run out of gas if I tried to do it on a fasting day.
I do have a light lunch, though. I don't like to be too full when I'm working out.

Old 11-22-2018, 12:12 PM

21,872 posts, read 25,129,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
It's sport specific and depends what you mean by a good workout. I considered those long 3-4 hour, easy pace rides important workouts. The point was to maximize the benefit of that particular workout. Would I attempt threshold tempo or higher intensity fasted? Not a chance. The higher you push intensity the more energy comes from glucose. There have been a few semi-professional athletes that have tried to do keto diets, for example, outside of race days. They sucked and had horrible years. Whatever advantage they gained from fat adaption they more than lost because they couldn't do the high intensity training.

An example is how Kenyan runners train. Kipchoge is pretty typical there in that leading up to marathon he does 3 tempo runs a week at around a 5:15-5:30 pace in the morning on an empty stomach. That's more semi-depleted and they are eating and, again, that's relatively slow compared to race pace. But they're still going out first thing in the morning and doing 18-24 miles on an empty stomach. It's around half the training miles so they're obviously not just junk throw away workouts. Whether it's simply convenience of not having to take the time to eat in the morning before running or to maximize the benefits of that particularly workout is questionable but it's typical protocol for whatever reason it is.

Old 01-31-2019, 08:21 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,473,517 times
Decided to bring an old thread back instead of starting a new one. This popped up on my YT feed. A little more on the "Autophagy" thing, nicely laid out in a video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gl8k2ncIQMc

Haven't seen KZ153 lately, anybody know why?

Old 01-31-2019, 08:53 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,568,432 times
It's an old medical topic. Inflammation disrupts the ability of the body to clear away waste. Fasting reduces inflammation temporarily.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3695639/

Blood sugar spikes is one of the things that elevates inflammation. It can be monitored with the cytokine panel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss