Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2018, 03:24 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,907,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I've seen classical musicians and they seem averagely attractive and not all are thin. I guess if you want to be a premier soloist like Lindsey Sterling then maybe, but other than that? I just don't see it. Not like an actress, for example.

Hey, you do what you feel you need to do. What I said in my other post still holds. Instead of trying to diet your way down to some obligatory skinny number you can maybe workout to firm things that need firming and give you the appearance of being fit.
Lindsey Sterling is a good fiddler but I would not classify her as a premier soloist. That would be someone like Midori, Hillary Hahn or Yuja Wang, artists who play the major works in the classical repertoire. And usually with orchestral accompaniment. They also record these works and concertize internationally. It's not the same career path, training, lifestyle, or historical significance.

I like Lindsey Sterling, and she is a role model for students who want to study fiddle, but it's not the same as classical music and shouldn't be lumped together indiscriminately. The technical requirements are very different.

So I'm not sure what you mean when you say you've "seen classical musicians" if you think Lindsey Sterling is a classical musician. She's not. And you can't compare (for example) a four to six minute fiddle tune to a 30 minute, three movement piano concerto (say, by Prokofiev). Anyone with a good ear, a good teacher, some musical talent and a reliable work ethic can play a nice fiddle tune in three or four years. Art music (versus folk music, an entire different genre) takes at least 10 years and requires a very high level of musical gifts. Most students never get that far.

People get really angry if you use the phrase "art music." It's simply formal music like you hear in concert halls and universities. It's not a pejorative term, and it doesn't imply that folk music is not artistic or that players of folk music are not artists. The phrase is used in every chapter, if not nearly on every page of textbooks in musicology. But people take offense when they shouldn't. Art music is not superior to folk music, just different.

But back on topic, there are baroque players and classical players who are overweight, to be sure--I can think of three off the top of my head. But the trend is not going that way, it is a disadvantage during auditions, and that's really what we were talking about.

All fine distinctions, but important ones.

Last edited by KaraZetterberg153; 12-01-2018 at 04:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2018, 05:11 PM

Overweight classical musicians:
• Monica Huggett
• Jessye Norman
• Martha Argerich

Please note that I practically worship these three artists (along with millions of other adoring classical music fans), and their weight is irrelevant. Especially Jessye Norman who has the most beautiful voice of any human who has ever lived. I have worried about her weight, however, and some cruel orchestral players refer to her as "just enormous." Argerich only got heavy in the recent part of her career.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20375678_10154962848222569_6709944992834586950_n.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	205342

Name:	37.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	205343

Name:	2742658w1033.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	205344

Old 12-01-2018, 07:45 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,254,576 times
Don't know anything about classical music, but I still believe in best players play.
So Kara... do you consider yourself a premier soloist?

Old 12-01-2018, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
Don't know anything about classical music, but I still believe in best players play.
But the problem is, there are so many good players and their playing is nearly indistinguishable. In orchestra auditions, for example, 300 people will apply for maybe two openngs. The committee will invite those that meet criteria of their own design, and even if the audition is behind a screen, looks is a factor, your teacher, your school. A dozen or more of those are brilliant Asian students with $30,000 instruments borrowed from somewhere, and really well trained.

It's not as simple as you suggest. Baroque chamber is a bit different; the playing is a specialized kind of playing, the group is small, and the way you look is a factor.

You can continue to argue your point if you wish, but how much do you really know about it, since by your own admission you "don't know anything about classical music?" Orchestras are rated according to their budgets, and the top tier orchestras really do have their choice of players. There are articles about this in the trade magazines all the time; looks are a factor.

Do I consider myself a premier soloist? No, I'm a reliable player but not an internationally famous recording artist. That's what the three players I mentioned--Midori, Hillary Hahn and Yuja Wang, are. Look them up on YouTube.

Midori was a child prodigy who concertized with Pinchas Zukerman. Hillary Hahn began her career when she was at Curtis. Yuja Wang is a total trip, a true musician who wears very sexy and revealing clothing onstage, to give herself a little notoriety, I guess. I'm straight, so I get a little tired of looking at her, but it's really not important in the final analysis because her playing is beyond brilliant. She was also a child prodigy. All three were, all three are musical geniuses of the highest order.

Last edited by KaraZetterberg153; 12-01-2018 at 08:21 PM..

Old 12-01-2018, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
You can continue to argue your point if you wish, but how much do you really know about it, versus what you just think you know?
I'm not arguing, but I do know that confidence is VERY important, whether you're bowling or playing an instument.
At highest levels, it's no longer a physical game because everyone can play. You get whatever edge you can.

In your case, if looking beautiful and elegant gives you that edge, then you do what you have to do.
Reading your posts, I believe you have the right attitude and will achieve your goal.

Old 12-01-2018, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
I'm not arguing, but I do know that confidence is VERY important, whether you're bowling or playing an instument.
At highest levels, it's no longer a physical game because everyone can play. You get whatever edge you can.

In your case, if looking beautiful and elegant gives you that edge, then you do what you have to do.
Reading your posts, I believe you have the right attitude and will achieve your goal.
Okay, well, thank you. I just want to go back to work. Sometimes artists do make comebacks after being out for a while because of issues like health and family.

Old 12-01-2018, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Okay, well, thank you. I just want to go back to work. Sometimes artists do make comebacks after being out for a while because of issues like health and family.
Comeback Player of the Year!

Old 12-03-2018, 08:32 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,276,790 times
Quote:
Didn't eat that much yesterday and this morning could barely drink my coffee and eat a little left over dressing before I had to stop because I couldn't stand to eat any more. OMAD definitely NOT a problem because seven hours later I still feel full.

Problem is, I bought a really nice scale and have been weighing myself every morning --but I'm not losing any weight! What's going on? Did my metabolism slow down? I feel fine and my clothes are looser.

I don't get it.

IF OMAD 22:2
It may take time to lose weight. Although when I started IF, two
meals a day, the first week, I lost 8 pounds. The first month 20 pounds, the second month 12 pounds, the third month 8 pounds, the fourth month 4 pounds. After that, it slowed down a lot more. Now, two years later, I can be in a plateau for 6 weeks or longer. When I ate two meals a day, I tried to shock my body by changing a two meal day for a one meal day. I usually did that on Fridays and it usually worked to break the weight loss plateaus. I also tried a couple one day meals two days apart, and it didn’t work to break the plateau.

I switched to one meal a day 105 days ago. I lost 20 pounds in 3 months, but 15 of those pounds I had regained after falling off the wagon earlier this year. I did lose 75 pounds 3 times at 3 different points in the past 3 decades with calorie restriction dieting, only to regain all the weight and then add more weight. The calorie restriction diets are virtually guaranteed to fail in the long term!

I agree that it’s a good idea to avoid breads. I think starches should be avoided, but there’s a YouTube video about a guy that lost about 100 pounds eating only potatoes for a year!

If you haven’t watched a lot of YouTube videos about IF and Keto, I recommend the DrKenDBerryMD and Dr Eric Berg, chiropractor channels. I’m a little bit reluctant to recommend the Dr Eric Berg channel, because he sells products, which could make him less credible. But Dr Eric Berg does have very good advise, and you can watch his videos without buying his products. Dr Jayson Fung also has a lot of very good videos.

I’ve also noticed at times, where I didn’t lose weight, but my clothes fitted looser. But if you’re stuck in a weight loss plateau for a long time, you might need to try modifying your diet a bit. Another thing is to shock your body with a longer fasting time period.

The slower weight loss can be an advantage because if you lose weight too fast, you can have loose skin, which can make your face look ten years older, till you lose the loose skin. I found that switching to one meal a day really helped to reduce my loose skin and it dramatically improved the skin quality. I learned recently that your skin is replaced about every three months!

I weigh myself many times a day, and record the results in a spreadsheet. My weight varies usually 3.5 to 5 pounds within one day. The minimum was about 3.0 and the maximum variation 6.0 pounds. I have a good idea of how much my weight goes up after my one meal a day, and how long it takes for the weight to go down. I also observe the BMI numbers on my digital scale.

But the important thing is the longer term weight loss over weeks and months, and if your clothes are fitting looser and if you have to drop clothes sizes. I went from size 44 to 42 to 40 to 38 pants, and from XXL to XL T-shirts. Size L T-shirts are still too tight, but they aren’t impossible to put on anymore.

So try watching a lot of YouTube videos to learn more, maybe try making changes in your diet, like low carb higher fats, as in the Keto diet, and try cutting out the bad foods. Good luck with your weight loss journey!

Old 12-03-2018, 10:24 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Quote:
Lindsey Sterling is a good fiddler but I would not classify her as a premier soloist. That would be someone like Midori, Hillary Hahn or Yuja Wang, artists who play the major works in the classical repertoire. And usually with orchestral accompaniment. They also record these works and concertize internationally. It's not the same career path, training, lifestyle, or historical significance.

I like Lindsey Sterling, and she is a role model for students who want to study fiddle, but it's not the same as classical music and shouldn't be lumped together indiscriminately. The technical requirements are very different.

So I'm not sure what you mean when you say you've "seen classical musicians" if you think Lindsey Sterling is a classical musician. She's not. And you can't compare (for example) a four to six minute fiddle tune to a 30 minute, three movement piano concerto (say, by Prokofiev). Anyone with a good ear, a good teacher, some musical talent and a reliable work ethic can play a nice fiddle tune in three or four years. Art music (versus folk music, an entire different genre) takes at least 10 years and requires a very high level of musical gifts. Most students never get that far.

People get really angry if you use the phrase "art music." It's simply formal music like you hear in concert halls and universities. It's not a pejorative term, and it doesn't imply that folk music is not artistic or that players of folk music are not artists. The phrase is used in every chapter, if not nearly on every page of textbooks in musicology. But people take offense when they shouldn't. Art music is not superior to folk music, just different.

But back on topic, there are baroque players and classical players who are overweight, to be sure--I can think of three off the top of my head. But the trend is not going that way, it is a disadvantage during auditions, and that's really what we were talking about.

All fine distinctions, but important ones.
Hey, I'm no expert on musical classifications, so I'm not going to debate with you on that one. Lindsey Sterling was the first person I thought of since she happened to be playing at the time and classical music isn't a genre that I listen to every day. However, from time to time I do listen to orchestral music and attended many concerts in my lifetime and the people I saw weren't particularly thin or stunners. (So yes, I'm familiar with Prokofiev and all your favorites.)

The point of my post really wasn't to debate about music but was just an observation that I've seen a lot of regular, average musicians. Unless you are a soloist, the focus is not on you. If there is anything prohibiting you from finding work, I'll be candid and say it would probably be age. You're 68 and in this age-obsessed society, for many that's a big negative. I don't agree with that, but it's like that in the regular workplace and I can only imagine it'd be the same in the performing arts unless you are pretty well known.

The other point of my post which is on topic is that if you are at a good weight, you're barking up the wrong tree trying to reach some mythical number especially when you're dealing with forces beyond your control. Like age. Even I acknowledge that.

I'm not fighting you here or anything. You do what makes you happy. I'm just giving my .02, nothing more or less.

Old 12-03-2018, 04:06 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Hey, I'm no expert on musical classifications, so I'm not going to debate with you on that one. Lindsey Sterling was the first person I thought of since she happened to be playing at the time and classical music isn't a genre that I listen to every day. However, from time to time I do listen to orchestral music and attended many concerts in my lifetime and the people I saw weren't particularly thin or stunners. (So yes, I'm familiar with Prokofiev and all your favorites.)

The point of my post really wasn't to debate about music but was just an observation that I've seen a lot of regular, average musicians. Unless you are a soloist, the focus is not on you. If there is anything prohibiting you from finding work, I'll be candid and say it would probably be age. You're 68 and in this age-obsessed society, for many that's a big negative. I don't agree with that, but it's like that in the regular workplace and I can only imagine it'd be the same in the performing arts unless you are pretty well known.

The other point of my post which is on topic is that if you are at a good weight, you're barking up the wrong tree trying to reach some mythical number especially when you're dealing with forces beyond your control. Like age. Even I acknowledge that.

I'm not fighting you here or anything. You do what makes you happy. I'm just giving my .02, nothing more or less.
Great post and I pretty much agree with all you said here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss