Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2018, 01:25 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,250,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
What say my IF friends on this article?

https://www.goodmorningamerica.com/n...betes-60024234

My intuition leads to believe that abstaining from food during breakfast gets IF n00bs pigging out on refined carbs at lunchtime, thus spiking blood sugar. My lunches usually involve a high fat low carb combo like steak and salad with bacon. The link is misleading. Also, people go without salt for longer periods of time and low salt diets are dangerous and often associated with insulin resistance.
If I'm fasting, I have nothing until dinnertime and then only 600 calories.

On a normal work day, I have hard boiled eggs for breakfast, very low carb.
Then I have meat for lunch... usually a big pork chop or some chicken.
I get almost all of my 20 carbs a day at dinnertime.

So I'm generally either 1 or 3 meals, not 2.
But I'll skip breakfast and go straight to lunch if I sleep in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2018, 04:12 PM

26,212 posts, read 19,513,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
It’s actually very easy to incorporate coconut oil in your diet. The first step is to buy and keep coconut oil in your home. Organic and pressed coconut oil is better. When frying with oil, replace vegetable oil (which isn’t made from vegetables), Cisco, and seed based oils with coconut oil. The vegetable oil, Cisco, and seed based oils belong in your garbage can. It’s easy to add coconut oil to foods that you microwave. Coconut oil doesn’t have a strong coconut flavor.

Costco has two different membership levels. Standard and executive. Second have the Costco executive level membership. The cash back rewards are higher with the executive membership. If you occasionally buy higher priced ticket items, like large screen 4K TVs, the extra discount can make the executive membership level more cost effective. You can always start at the standard membership, and upgrade to the executive membership level at the point in time of the big ticket item purchase.

We have a Sam’s Club business membership too. Sam’s club has regular and business memberships. You don’t need to own a business to get the Sam’s Club business membership. The Sam’s Club Business membership has larger cash back, special discounts, and early store hours.

I wish that Costco had early store hours for their executive membership. Costco tends to have more higher quality items than Sam’s Club. Costco has much more workers, for better service, and I’ve heard that Costco treats their employees better. I like the warehouse shopping clubs!
I have a 10 oz. jar of Viva Labs, 100% certified organic and pure extra virgin Coconut Oil. I'm going to quit using vegetable oil and start using this when cooking. If you have (or anyone else) any other suggestions on how to use coconut oil, outside of using it in a frying pan for normal cooking, I'd love to hear it.

And one reason I'd never join Sam's Club is I'm not putting a penny in the Walton's pocket, haven't been to a Walmart in over 10 years (probably around 15), that's a personal choice I made long ago. Costco is just the opposite, they pay their employees far more than they do employees at Wallyworld, in fact, I believe the average starting wage at Costco is $17.00 an hour, which is very good for retail. CNBC had a program on the history of Costco, it was excellent. I learned that they are the number one seller of Wine and hot dogs in America, and one of the largest sellers of jewelry. They make almost all of their profit from their membership fees, as most of their goods are sold barely above cost.

Old 12-29-2018, 08:56 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,275,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melvin29 View Post
I am 38 years old and my BMI is around 34 and I have been trying to lose weight but I don't want to go through strict diets and starve myself. So, I have been searching and need someone's advice. I see there are products that claim that could make you lose weight if you eat this or drink this. I came across this product which is a red tea detox that claims to make you lose weight and get rid of body toxins if you drink it. Here is the link if you want to check it out http://go.robertsmithonlinebusiness.com/online-traffic. Can please someone tell me if I should try this. Thanks in advance
I took a quick look at the URL you posted. That product claims to cause huge weight losses overnight. That web site looks like it's aimed that people that want to lose weight without any effort, and it looks like it is just another product that will fail, after separating you from some money.

You didn't mention much at all about yourself. If you're male or female, how much you weigh, how tall you are, and what type of body you have. You didn't gain all the weight in a short time period, so it will not be possible to lose the weight in a short time period.

If you're doing a calorie counting and calorie restrictive diet, starving yourself, you are doing it wrong. If you attempt that, you will almost certainly fail in the long run. Your metabolism will eventually slow down, you'll abandon your calorie reduction diet, you will regain all the weight you lost, plus gain additional weight.

Intermittent fasting and Keto is a very easy and inexpensive way to lose weight. There aren't really any products to buy, or special high priced pre-planned foods. There are certain foods that you should avoid eating. You should start by educating yourself, which is free. I recommend searching for "KenDBerryMD" and "Dr Eric Berg" videos on YouTube about "Intermittent fasting" and "Keto". You'll learn how you can lose weight in the long run. There are many other free resources on YouTube. It's very easy to watch and learn.

You'll also want to run the intermittent fasting and Keto past your medical doctor to make sure that you won't have any complications from things you may have omitted from your post. I can tell you from personal experience, that I used to eat 3 meals a day, lots of snacks between meals, and lots of late night grazing. I couldn't go 8 hours without eating.

Everyone eats and fasts. When you are not eating, you are fasting. So, this is something you're already doing. What you need to do is to gradually remove the snacking and grazing, then delay your breakfast to later in the morning. When you delay breakfast late enough, you can quit eating breakfast, and you'll be down to two meals a day. When your fasting time window increases to 16 hours, you will likely lose a lot of weight.

Last year, I ate two meals a day. I switched to one meal a day over four months ago. The changes are made gradually over many weeks and months. When your body adjusts to the changes over time, you will lose the hunger sensation. I have no hunger sensation eating only one meal a day. In fact, I can fast for 40 to 47 hours with no hunger sensation.

I lost about 40 pounds doing two meals a day, most of that weight loss in 4 months. There's no calorie counting at all. I just ate till I was full. I did end up with a lot of loose skin, which was very slowly decreasing. After I switched to one meal a day, my loose skin problems went away. Your skin is replaced every 3 months. Not everyone will lose all their loose skin, especially if they lose over 100 pounds.

Losing massive weight quickly with no effort on your part schemes, will fail at everything, except they will be successful at draining your bank account for products that will fail. Start by spending at least 10 hours or more watching YouTube videos about intermittent fasting and Keto, and learn how you can successfully lose weight.

Old 12-30-2018, 06:57 AM

57 posts, read 60,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
I took a quick look at the URL you posted. That product claims to cause huge weight losses overnight. That web site looks like it's aimed that people that want to lose weight without any effort, and it looks like it is just another product that will fail, after separating you from some money.

You didn't mention much at all about yourself. If you're male or female, how much you weigh, how tall you are, and what type of body you have. You didn't gain all the weight in a short time period, so it will not be possible to lose the weight in a short time period.

If you're doing a calorie counting and calorie restrictive diet, starving yourself, you are doing it wrong. If you attempt that, you will almost certainly fail in the long run. Your metabolism will eventually slow down, you'll abandon your calorie reduction diet, you will regain all the weight you lost, plus gain additional weight.

Intermittent fasting and Keto is a very easy and inexpensive way to lose weight. There aren't really any products to buy, or special high priced pre-planned foods. There are certain foods that you should avoid eating. You should start by educating yourself, which is free. I recommend searching for "KenDBerryMD" and "Dr Eric Berg" videos on YouTube about "Intermittent fasting" and "Keto". You'll learn how you can lose weight in the long run. There are many other free resources on YouTube. It's very easy to watch and learn.

You'll also want to run the intermittent fasting and Keto past your medical doctor to make sure that you won't have any complications from things you may have omitted from your post. I can tell you from personal experience, that I used to eat 3 meals a day, lots of snacks between meals, and lots of late night grazing. I couldn't go 8 hours without eating.

Everyone eats and fasts. When you are not eating, you are fasting. So, this is something you're already doing. What you need to do is to gradually remove the snacking and grazing, then delay your breakfast to later in the morning. When you delay breakfast late enough, you can quit eating breakfast, and you'll be down to two meals a day. When your fasting time window increases to 16 hours, you will likely lose a lot of weight.

Last year, I ate two meals a day. I switched to one meal a day over four months ago. The changes are made gradually over many weeks and months. When your body adjusts to the changes over time, you will lose the hunger sensation. I have no hunger sensation eating only one meal a day. In fact, I can fast for 40 to 47 hours with no hunger sensation.

I lost about 40 pounds doing two meals a day, most of that weight loss in 4 months. There's no calorie counting at all. I just ate till I was full. I did end up with a lot of loose skin, which was very slowly decreasing. After I switched to one meal a day, my loose skin problems went away. Your skin is replaced every 3 months. Not everyone will lose all their loose skin, especially if they lose over 100 pounds.

Losing massive weight quickly with no effort on your part schemes, will fail at everything, except they will be successful at draining your bank account for products that will fail. Start by spending at least 10 hours or more watching YouTube videos about intermittent fasting and Keto, and learn how you can successfully lose weight.
I also am eating two meals a day, and have lost 20 pounds and now I am no longer overweight. The surprising thing is that I eat as much as I want and still have lost weight. No calorie counting, and I eat whatever I want. I agree with you about watching YouTube videos, but I also recommend continuing to watch them every week,. The instant weight loss products work by dehydration - you can easily loss weight using a sauna- until you rehydrate, that is.

Old 12-31-2018, 07:51 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,251,067 times
I did it long before it was a thing. I basically fasted for 23 hours and then ate during a one hour window at dinnertime. It's just how I ate in my late teens/early 20s. It wasn't a diet; it was a way of life. Not to say I never ate other than that one meal a day. If I had social events or whatever I would eat. But then I'd get right back to IF. It was very effective for keeping my weight down and I was lean and toned. I had three babies and after each one went back to IF and got back down to pre-pregnancy weight with no problem. But through the years I got away from doing it and gained weight.

I have been reading the research about IF and autophagy and I plan to start IF again. In fact, I started today and it feels good. I ate nothing from dinner last night until about 4 o'clock today, when I ate dinner. I plan to eat New Year's brunch tomorrow after. Nothing between now and then and that will be my only meal tomorrow.

Old 12-31-2018, 07:58 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,251,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyersmom View Post
I have a question about fasting, I have to eat breakfast every day. I work out in the morning and usually need to eat breakfast before I go to work otherwise I feel really dizzy...trust me this has happened more than I'd like to admit.
Is there any way that maybe I could just skip dinner? Like fast from 1pm to 7am the next morning?
I only eat dinner, but I had a friend who preferred to only eat breakfast and fasted the rest of the day. That worked for her.

Old 01-03-2019, 12:27 PM
'M'

1,956 posts, read 3,201,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
I've been doing this since July and have done a lot of research online, mostly YouTube videos and web sites devoted to IF. ...

Kudos to you for an excellent post, Kara Zetterberg!!

Old 01-03-2019, 12:57 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,904,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I'm glad you posted this. I have a friend with diabetes, whom I've told about Dr. Jason Fung's intermittent fasting regime. But my friend says, that the low-carb, high-protein approach is bad for the kidneys, let alone the fasting part. I'm surprised, that Aung, as a nephrologist, wouldn't be aware of the stress to the kidneys his regime entails.

Does anyone have any feedback on this? Maybe the low-carb, intermittent fasting program isn't intended for peopled who are too far gone, diabetes-wise? If that's true, Dr. Fung should say so in his book, but he doesn't. There's a chapter on "who shouldn't do this diet", but it doesn't mention kidney issues, as I recall.
But IF is not low carb, high protein. High protein is the part that's off: keto is low carb/high fat.

Old 01-03-2019, 01:01 PM
'M'

Teckeeee Quote "I am doing IF on my own and I have dropped 30 lbs in 1 month no BS! The biggest downside is my insomnia through the roof."

insomnia on KETO is related low potassium levels...this info courtesy of Dr. Berg on YouTube. For some reason any low carb diet even if it's healthy starts the insomnia. I can't remember why this is.

I buy potassium citrate by the bag full on Amazon (NOTE: you can only buy potassium in 99mg capsules or tabs - government regulation - unless you opt out and buy the bags, which are much less expensive - just don't buy the ones made in China - not kidding) - and mix it with a very large cup of water - almost 32 ounces. Some don't like the taste of raw minerals in water...they are kind of salty and yucky, but more water means less taste. This form of potassium is much less harmful to the kidneys. I have a 32 oz cupful morning and evening. Sometimes I mix it in mineral water for a zing. Dr. Berg assures that once we have lost our weight, our need for potassium goes down. Then we can slack off a bit on the bagged potassium. The daily recommended allowance for potassium is around 3,500 mg for people under 50 and increases to 4,700 for people over 50.

I've done extensive research on potassium, even before KETO. I have a pet project on minerals and how deficiencies affect us adversely. Also I take the daily minimum of magnesium every day, 400 mg of Mag Glycinate...the best form I've found. I found that the average person consumes very little potassium - and minerals - because most of us eat too much processed food, which has just about zero potassium Fruit and veggies, and other things like salmon, are plentiful in potassium. I do only 2,000 mg potassium supplementation b/c don't want to over do it. The 2,000 mg seems to turn things around for me with sleep. Otherwise, I'm like you and have a TERRIBLE time sleeping through the night.

What was happening to me when I first started KETO on 12/21/18 is - I was having terrible leg cramps, and also thumping heart palpitations all day. Those have completely gone away, unless I have a day when I think I'll skip the mag and potassium. Then I pay for it. But I've had leg cramps since I was a kid.

Last edited by 'M'; 01-03-2019 at 01:13 PM..

Old 01-03-2019, 01:11 PM
'M'

Summers73 Quote "Also, people go without salt for longer periods of time and low salt diets are dangerous and often associated with insulin resistance.)

While doing KETO, Dr. Berg on YouTube recommends adding 1 teaspoon, or 1 tsp, of the Himalaya salt that contains all the trace minerals, per day. All: be sure to note that this is the smaller measurement, it is not 1 Tablespoon but the smaller measurement of 1 teaspoon only. This helps with the KETO Flu side effects. Feeling no energy and lethargic can be one of the side effects for a week or so. I do this every day, taken in two doses, 1/2 teaspoon a.m. and p.m. and often mix it into my two daily potassium citrate doses which I mix with almost a quart of water, and drink it down. Not the best tasting, that's why I mix in such a large amount of water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss