Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 03:58 PM

7,247 posts, read 5,117,125 times

Advertisements

A few facts and thoughts on this subject:

By "gut" they mean colon. 90% of a bowel movement is excess bacteria. Very little of what we eat actually makes down to the colon.

You may have noticed there are few penguins in the Gobi Desert- no fish to eat, and few buffalo in the Northwoods-- no grass, their preferred food...

.Maybe the bug populations in the gut depend on the food being presented to them also....Carbs make you fat, so fat people may be absorbing more carbs higher up in the GI tract where such things occur, leaving fewer carbs making it down to the colon, so the bugs there are ones that do well in a low carb environment.... and thin people let more carbs pass, so the bugs found in them are the ones that do well in a higher carb environment.

It's much more likely that the bugs adapt to the environment than the environment changing to please the bugs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2018, 04:18 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
About 30 percent of the solid matter consists of dead bacteria; about 30 percent consists of indigestible food matter such as cellulose; 10 to 20 percent is cholesterol and other fats; 10 to 20 percent is inorganic substances such as calcium phosphate and iron phosphate; and 2 to 3 percent is protein.

https://www.britannica.com/science/feces
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-07-2018, 04:20 PM

7,235 posts, read 4,543,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMBGBlueCanary View Post
I try to eat 30 grams of fiber a day, but I struggle since I am also calorie restricted (it's the only way to keep the weight off that I lost... I will always be on a "diet" or else I will be overweight and then obese again).
Actually you can get a supplement. Inulin fiber that you can just drink in water / pills or frankly if you just eat fiber one bars they have a great amount too.

Quote:
The 2015-2020 Dietary Guidelines for Americans bases their fiber recommendation on total calorie intake. It is recommended that American adults consume 14 g of fiber per 1,000 calories ingested.
If your not eating a lot of food you need less fiber.

Old 12-09-2018, 11:27 AM

321 posts, read 280,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
I definitely seem to have a problem with regard to calorie counts. They simply aren't right for me. Doing the math never works right. So, for instance, I have had my TEE tested and calculators get me around 1550 burned off per day. So, I set my calories eaten per day to 1000... and don't lose. I know a lot of people like this.

But now there is a growing body of evidence suggesting that if you have a certain type of gut bacteria it could give you a greater extraction of calories in the food you eat, thus leading to more calories taken in. So you eat 1000 calories but extract 1200 cals. https://www.livescience.com/63232-yo...ight-loss.html

So what seems to work for changing you bacteria is eating whole and natural veggies and fruits. A plant based diet. I have to say that is 100% different than how I eat now. There are different theories on this, some say fiber does it, some say change in PH does it, but it seems clear that meat can whipe the gut of "diet" bacteria and also a high fat diet can do it as well in as little as 4 days.

Adding to this is recent studies that have suggested that artificial sweeteners can also whipe the diet bacteria out. There hasn't been a day since I was 15 that I haven't had artificial sweeteners. And they are in so much food that is processed even if they aren't "diet".

Add to that, I don't know a single vegetarian that is fat. Also, diets that aren't meant to be plant based but kind of are because of what they want you to eat (such as volumentrics) do seem to have better results than regular diets. I used to think it was because they were eating less calories but perhaps there is a double effect, less calories and less taken in by your body. So you eat 1000 calories of plant foods and only really absorb 900 cals.
https://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...-a7787061.html

This makes a lot of sense for me. The bacteria theory works because you STILL can lose weight on a Keto or a diet plan like Jenny Craig, it is just that if you don't change your bacteria you won't lose as much and could gain it back easily.

The only daunting challenge for me here is that this is a way of eating I really dislike. But perhaps that is the gut bacteria talking.
I tried calorie counting. I couldn't lose. I was walking alot, dance, yoga, while keeping carbs and calories down. Didnt budge. Hope the following doesn't come up as an ad: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...nd-weight-loss just to see.

(Most of my weight was in the waistline/bra strap area. I even did my own frozen ice cube in plastic bags around my waist for a bit.)

I did incorporate healthier versions of foods without flour, sugar - the baddies. Tons of veggies. Perhaps it was an issue with gut. Sugar and gut health seem to be at odds for me. I eat sugar and I am just not right.
The probiotics seemed to help with some digestive issues with food changes. But the scale still read: overweight for your height! I didnt quit. I felt I was on to something...and I also felt healthier with my decision to decrease the breads, cookies, candy, sugars -- it just HAS to cut down on inflammation, too!

Within a couple of months I lost weight - AND INCHES. Three in waist to be exact.

Was it the healthier gut? Less sugar more veggies? Dance/walking at night? ALL THREE?

Last edited by SunnySam16; 12-09-2018 at 11:37 AM..

Old 12-09-2018, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySam16 View Post
I tried calorie counting. I couldn't lose. :
Ditto. This summer I tried intermittent fasting with 1000 calories per day and Keto and I didn't lose a lb. I am already doing better on this. Down 3 lbs this week. But I am trying not to weigh myself too much as that can be a major issue for me.

Old 12-10-2018, 07:23 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,573,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySam16 View Post
I tried calorie counting. I couldn't lose. I was walking alot, dance, yoga, while keeping carbs and calories down. Didnt budge. Hope the following doesn't come up as an ad: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...nd-weight-loss just to see.

(Most of my weight was in the waistline/bra strap area. I even did my own frozen ice cube in plastic bags around my waist for a bit.)

I did incorporate healthier versions of foods without flour, sugar - the baddies. Tons of veggies. Perhaps it was an issue with gut. Sugar and gut health seem to be at odds for me. I eat sugar and I am just not right.
The probiotics seemed to help with some digestive issues with food changes. But the scale still read: overweight for your height! I didnt quit. I felt I was on to something...and I also felt healthier with my decision to decrease the breads, cookies, candy, sugars -- it just HAS to cut down on inflammation, too!

Within a couple of months I lost weight - AND INCHES. Three in waist to be exact.

Was it the healthier gut? Less sugar more veggies? Dance/walking at night? ALL THREE?
So you're suggesting that the laws of physics work differently in your body than the average human? Why didn't that apply when adding weight?

Why is it that consuming less energy than the body needs fails some people, but consuming more energy than the body needs always seems to work as expected thus adding weight? No one can ever explain that to me. Our cells are only resistant to the proven laws of physics when we fail to achieve our goals.

I was a calorie-counting denier until someone smarter than me suggested I was way off on my logging. I estimated often and was comfortable with ballparking my numbers. Once I focused on logging accurately all kinds of crazy truths were revealed. I thought I could eat 2,500 calories per day and lose weight. The first mistake was in relying on that number, some days I burned more than 3,000 calories, most days not. The second lie was that I was eating around 2,000 calories per day, turns out I was usually right around 2,500. And so because I was generally near or at break-even most days nothing much changed. Once I became way better at the logging thing (gotta get a scale for the house) and the numbers became reliable, my decisions started yielding expected results.

Old 12-10-2018, 07:35 AM

2,306 posts, read 1,702,405 times
Quote:
Actually you can get a supplement. Inulin fiber that you can just drink in water / pills or frankly if you just eat fiber one bars they have a great amount too.

If your not eating a lot of food you need less fiber.

Yeah, I know I can take the supplement, but I try to avoid it. It's just frustrating the most food out there just didn't high enough in fiber. I had a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast this morning with nuts and raisins. Only 6 grams.

I've read that the less calories you eat, the less fiber you need, but then I see there is a recommendation for 20-30 grams of fiber a day. It's confusing. Which is right? Do nutritionist even know? And to throw another monkey wrench into it, the people with the healthiest gut bacteria in the world, the Hadza, eat 100-150 grams of fiber (mainly from tubers and wild berries) a day!

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsan...the-hadza-diet

I just keep trying my best to get my mere 30 grams in a day. Today is a loss, it won't happen. Even with Oatmeal, veggies with lentils for lunch, tangerines for snack, and whole wheat pasta with chicken for dinner, I still won't be at 30 by the end of this day (I'll be at 24). I already counted it all in my calorie app (that also tracks fiber and other nutrients). But my calories will be okay to maintain my weight at least.

Old 12-10-2018, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMBGBlueCanary View Post
I've read that the less calories you eat, the less fiber you need, but then I see there is a recommendation for 20-30 grams of fiber a day. It's confusing. Which is right? Do nutritionist even know? And to throw another monkey wrench into it, the people with the healthiest gut bacteria in the world, the Hadza, eat 100-150 grams of fiber (mainly from tubers and wild berries) a day!
Agreed. I wonder sometimes if nutritionists even know. It also feels like among scientists there is a clear conspiracy to attempt to get people to adopt a plant based diet. So it feels like they are willing to overstate benefits to get people do do this.

I love cauliflower and if you look at the internet it says there is 3gs per serving but my actual packages say 1g. So which is it?

Sometimes they say that the SAD has about 15gs of fiber. HA. I find it tough to even get that much trying very hard.

Old 12-14-2018, 04:26 AM

So I completely changed my mind on this.

1. After 4 weeks eating more fiber, my body was telling me this wasn't something good for me. I had insane insomnia.. so much that I couldn't sleep with sleeping pills, and it was clearly every night. I also had a return to anxiety I haven't experienced in 20 years. I now think that carbs can have a very nasty effect on my nervous system. I even noticed a change in my bathroom habits where I had very little urine output. Guessing this is due to less protein.

2. I also starting having more trouble with constipation, having less frequent and more hard stools. Ironically this was never a problem before. Then I read an interesting book "fiber menace" which jived with what I had long thought. I have never had good results with fiber for constipation.

3. I am a suspicious person by nature and I just can't get over how the planet based diet is pushed in science. They have a clear bias. That concerns me. Because you can see them wrongly attributing things to the diet they like and ignoring the down sides.

4. I went and looked at the studies and there seems to be no real evidence that eating fiber can change the biome in any significant way. They use words like "changed" or there were "more" bacteria. But they never say anything like 50% of the biome changed. They don't qualify it. My theory is fiber can make a small temporary difference but the plant based researchers like to push that and see no harm in you eating more fiber / veggies so they say things to suggest fiber can do it.

5. It is my theory that biome gets changed by dieting or restrictive dieting. Bacteria that is not good at getting calories / food dies out over a period of calorie restriction leading to more of the bacteria that can extract more calories from scarce food. Survival of the fittest. This is why people yo yo. Once they start eating normal again with a digestive track of bacteria that is very good at extracting energy from food... you gain quickly. In fact I have found some support for this. There have been some studies that say it is impossible to change the biome once you have done this for a while without massive antibiotics. This is why obese people have more of the bacteria that is good at extracting calories. Thin people don't diet so they don't starve their "good bacteria".

That is so not the message the diet industry wants to send though.

Old 12-14-2018, 08:25 AM

2,306 posts, read 1,702,405 times
Quote:
So I completely changed my mind on this.

1. After 4 weeks eating more fiber, my body was telling me this wasn't something good for me. I had insane insomnia.. so much that I couldn't sleep with sleeping pills, and it was clearly every night. I also had a return to anxiety I haven't experienced in 20 years. I now think that carbs can have a very nasty effect on my nervous system. I even noticed a change in my bathroom habits where I had very little urine output. Guessing this is due to less protein.

2. I also starting having more trouble with constipation, having less frequent and more hard stools. Ironically this was never a problem before. Then I read an interesting book "fiber menace" which jived with what I had long thought. I have never had good results with fiber for constipation.

3. I am a suspicious person by nature and I just can't get over how the planet based diet is pushed in science. They have a clear bias. That concerns me. Because you can see them wrongly attributing things to the diet they like and ignoring the down sides.

4. I went and looked at the studies and there seems to be no real evidence that eating fiber can change the biome in any significant way. They use words like "changed" or there were "more" bacteria. But they never say anything like 50% of the biome changed. They don't qualify it. My theory is fiber can make a small temporary difference but the plant based researchers like to push that and see no harm in you eating more fiber / veggies so they say things to suggest fiber can do it.

5. It is my theory that biome gets changed by dieting or restrictive dieting. Bacteria that is not good at getting calories / food dies out over a period of calorie restriction leading to more of the bacteria that can extract more calories from scarce food. Survival of the fittest. This is why people yo yo. Once they start eating normal again with a digestive track of bacteria that is very good at extracting energy from food... you gain quickly. In fact I have found some support for this. There have been some studies that say it is impossible to change the biome once you have done this for a while without massive antibiotics. This is why obese people have more of the bacteria that is good at extracting calories. Thin people don't diet so they don't starve their "good bacteria".

That is so not the message the diet industry wants to send though.

You have to drink more with fiber. Fiber absorbs water which might explain the less urine output and constipation. You need water to prevent both.

I think the plant-based diet is over pushed too, but not so much the Americans don't eat enough fiber thing. The former is pushed by people with an agenda (to sell books usually) and the latter is common medical opinion without a profit motive.

You gut biome changes with what you eat, that's true. They measured it. In that tribe I mentioned (I think in this thread) there are times where they get a lot less fiber and their gut biome changed to reflect this. Different bacteria thrive in different conditions. Here is an interesting article on it: https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsan...the-hadza-diet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss