Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 01:42 PM

4,149 posts, read 3,904,601 times

Advertisements

I have read a lot of positive reviews on the plant paradox book and I am going to order it. I have autoimmune disorders and hope the diet will help. Are there a lot of recipes in the book?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2018, 01:49 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,254,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
The irony is that a "peanut" is not a nut, it's a bean. Peanuts and peanut butter are one of the things I've given up completely after reading Plant Paradox and I loved peanut butter a lot.
I don't eat peanut butter because it has a lot of carbs and some added sugar.
I tried some sugar free peanut butter and it was not good.

Old 12-09-2018, 02:23 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,819,357 times
The Plant Paradox is a book that makes a lot of unsubstantiated claims. If you try it and like the way it makes you feel and can adopt this eating style forever, then by all means do it. I would not however do this diet and expect to not get any of the ailments this diet claims to prevent.

Old 12-09-2018, 05:29 PM

30,369 posts, read 19,156,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
I have read a lot of positive reviews on the plant paradox book and I am going to order it. I have autoimmune disorders and hope the diet will help. Are there a lot of recipes in the book?
There's a Plant Paradox Facebook group that has recipes and there are some in the book as well. My wife has an idea to develop more recipes.

I hope you get great results!!

Old 12-09-2018, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
The Plant Paradox is a book that makes a lot of unsubstantiated claims. If you try it and like the way it makes you feel and can adopt this eating style forever, then by all means do it. I would not however do this diet and expect to not get any of the ailments this diet claims to prevent.
As I mention for me, following the diet reversed my diabetes back to normal range, taken my "beer gut" from gross to flat, my weight from borderline obese to in the perfect BMI range for my height, reduced my bodyfat to 10% and muscle mass to over 45%, reduced my cholesterol significantly, taken triglyceriedes number to ideal and yes, it has also made me feel good.

The claims made in the book to cure so many diseases are extraordinary and I can only speak about what has happened to me but if one had the diseases Dr. Gundry said this diet cures, why would you not try it?

Old 12-09-2018, 06:29 PM

4,149 posts, read 3,904,601 times
Quote:
There's a Plant Paradox Facebook group that has recipes and there are some in the book as well. My wife has an idea to develop more recipes.

I hope you get great results!!
Thank you. I can give up bread no problem but not sure what else I will need to eliminate. Also, I am not a big vegetable eater which I think is the core of the diet.

I shall wait for the book to arrive and see if I can give the diet a whirl.

Last edited by jasperhobbs; 12-09-2018 at 07:27 PM..

Old 12-09-2018, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
Thank you. I can give up bread no problem but not sure what else I will need to eliminate. Also, I am not a big vegetable eater which I think is the core of the diet.

I shall wait for the book to arrive and see if I can give the diet a whirl.
There's a lot of information you learn but he says what you don't eat is more important than what you do eat. Grains and beans are big no's. There are different phases that you can go hard core which I did at first but now I'm healed and relaxed and only eat about 60% what is recommended so I need to do better actually.

Another core principle is reduce your meat consumption and increase your good fats. For meat, any wild caught seafood is good, grass fed meat is fine.

About dairy, it's complicated but you will need to make sure the dairy is Casein A2 and not A1 protein.

Old 12-10-2018, 09:47 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,819,357 times
Quote:
As I mention for me, following the diet reversed my diabetes back to normal range, taken my "beer gut" from gross to flat, my weight from borderline obese to in the perfect BMI range for my height, reduced my bodyfat to 10% and muscle mass to over 45%, reduced my cholesterol significantly, taken triglyceriedes number to ideal and yes, it has also made me feel good.

The claims made in the book to cure so many diseases are extraordinary and I can only speak about what has happened to me but if one had the diseases Dr. Gundry said this diet cures, why would you not try it?
Because I do not believe eliminating food groups is sustainable.

This doctor is trying to sell books first and foremost and his claims as I said before are unsubstantiated. There is no peer reviewed evidence that gives his claims relevance.
It worked for you and that is great. Chances are if you ate a healthy diet of whole fresh foods and exercised you would have the same results.

Old 12-10-2018, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Because I do not believe eliminating food groups is sustainable.

This doctor is trying to sell books first and foremost and his claims as I said before are unsubstantiated. There is no peer reviewed evidence that gives his claims relevance.
It worked for you and that is great. Chances are if you ate a healthy diet of whole fresh foods and exercised you would have the same results.
Nope, I tried eating a healthy diet of whole fresh foods and exercised and ended up with diabetes before I ate the diet proscribed in The Plant Paradox. I tried many diets that all gave poor results until this one. As far as sustainability, so far it's been 16 months and it's been easy to maintain for me admittedly, I'm only about 60 compliant now although I try to stick to the base principles.

So far we can divide the group into 2 on the subject of the book, those that haven't tried it and and are skeptics and those that do the diet and are getting awesome results...unless anyone has actually done it and didn't get great results?

Old 12-10-2018, 10:03 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times
Eh, go with what works for you, I suppose. I don't particularly care to follow such restrictive diets, definitely not for life. I'm 43, so I have quite a few years left and wouldn't want to spend them not eating things I love, particularly beans, nuts, and grains. Beans have fiber, iron, protein...and for many vegetarians, that's a great option in lieu of meat. I just don't understand the drastic cutting of so many things all in the name of losing weight.

My thin friends don't buy into all that stuff, why is it that overweight people should? My friend, 70 years old, thin as a rail, largely eats what she likes. Her secret is pretty dang simple. She eats half the food when she goes out to lunch with me and eats the remaining half for dinner. She eats one or two tops of chocolate. She walks on her treadmill at 5 am daily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss