Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 07:46 AM

2,306 posts, read 1,703,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I think many novice dieters/exercisers can gain weight while exercising. For me, exercising at a certain level quite significantly increases my appetite. I mean, it's noticeable. If I wasn't attuned to that or prepared for it, I'd increase my appetite.

Additionally, people tend to way over estimate their calorie burn and then think they can eat those calories back for a net of zero. This also will cause weight gain. I've seen it happen, believe me.

It doesn't help that you can do the same exercise and different sources tell you different amounts. I tend to "run" on an elliptical (bad knees and it doesn't hurt my knees like real running). The machine will tell me I've burnt 500 calories... the fitness/calorie counting app I use is usually says it's about half that much 275 or so. So which is right? I bet a lot of people believe the machine. I think they are both probably inflated.

I lost 70 pounds and still have to work at keeping it off. All the fancy diets (tried low carb, Atkins, Mediterranean, Vegetarian, etc), diet books, cook books and all the exercise in the word didn't really help as much as just counting calories. And I learned that subtracting calories from exercise does not help. It makes it harder.

What I did to lose weight is what I still do to keep it off. Try to avoid a lot of processed foods and try to mainly eat "whole foods" (think buy eggs, onions, and peppers and make scrambled eggs instead of buying a frozen breakfast "scrambler" in a box) and I STILL count calories. By the way, I avoid the processed foods, but not all the time. I just try to keep them at a minimum. I don't always have time to make my own soup, so I still might eat a can of chicken noodle on a rainy day. The key is moderation.

I exercise, but not primarily for maintaining weight. I do it for the other health benefits and I don't count the "calories burned" while exercising against my intake of calories for maintenance.

EDIT to add: One thing to keep in mind about counting calories. FDA allows food companies to be 20% off on their calorie counts. So it's not exact. That 100 calorie item may be 100 calories... or it may be 120 or maybe even 80. And it's really hard to count calories in fresh food. An apple of the same type, size, and weight most likely won't have the same amount of calories as an apple that is nearly identical. That's because growing conditions can change the sugar or water content of the fruit. So calories counting in and of itself isn't 100% accurate. But counting does give you the best guess at how much fuel you are putting into your body.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2018, 09:56 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times
If the exercise Americans are doing is the all too common leisurely stroll on the treadmill, followed up by overeating since the person "burned" so much, of course the obesity problem still exists. A lot of people don't like exercise because it's actual physical work.

Exercise by itself is not a panacea for a crap diet. You can habitually overeat. I think of diet and exercise as a marriage.

My workouts are vigorous, though not ridiculously so. I also eat a sensible diet. I also have once a week cheat days where I eat whatever the heck I want. Still steadily lost weight. If I didn't exercise, I wouldn't have gotten similar results, and I would have had to basically starve myself once I got below a certain weight. No thanks.

Old 12-14-2018, 02:55 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,268,177 times
If I can believe the displays on the workout machines (give the caveats posted earlier), my workouts burn about 600 calories a day. That's a lot but it could easily be offset by a giant sugar- and cream-laced Starbucks drink or a fistfull of double-stUffed Oreos.

What's been working for me- with the same exercise routine- is cutting more and more processed foods, starchy white foods (potatoes, rice, pasta), animal fats and refined carbs out of my diet. It's worked almost too well- at this point my BMI has been dipping below 19, putting me at risk for osteoporosis. I don't want to start eating Grand Slam Breakfasts at Denny's but will have to add in more calories from healthy sources.

Old 12-14-2018, 03:35 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,658,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
If I can believe the displays on the workout machines (give the caveats posted earlier), my workouts burn about 600 calories a day. That's a lot but it could easily be offset by a giant sugar- and cream-laced Starbucks drink or a fistfull of double-stUffed Oreos.

What's been working for me- with the same exercise routine- is cutting more and more processed foods, starchy white foods (potatoes, rice, pasta), animal fats and refined carbs out of my diet. It's worked almost too well- at this point my BMI has been dipping below 19, putting me at risk for osteoporosis. I don't want to start eating Grand Slam Breakfasts at Denny's but will have to add in more calories from healthy sources.
When I was actively exercising (Couch to 5K or treadmill) I think I settled on about 100 calories for each 30 minutes as being just about right for my age and current weight. This was for a fast jog (not all out running) with some fast walking within.

Old 12-14-2018, 03:56 PM

57 posts, read 60,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post

Some research suggests that being too thin increases mortality. Lucky you, you need a weight gaining diet! If I wanted to gain weight I would have lots of bread dipped in olive oil.

Old 12-14-2018, 05:32 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,268,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad70 View Post
Some research suggests that being too thin increases mortality. Lucky you, you need a weight gaining diet! If I wanted to gain weight I would have lots of bread dipped in olive oil.
Bread is one of the things I have to watch because my blood glucose is a little high (typically 106-109); a1c is 5.7, so not too bad. I do enjoy whole-wheat toast with natural peanut butter (no ingredients other than ground peanuts).

I'm not too concerned right now; next week I head out to SC to visit family for Christmas and I KNOW I'll put on weight then.

Old 12-14-2018, 06:11 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Exercise also is good for self-confidence and self-image, which certainly helps when you're trying to stick to whatever reduced calorie food plan you've chosen. Exercise helps clear your head - also essential to weight loss. If your head isn't it in, you're not going to succeed.

Old 12-14-2018, 06:26 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,442,089 times
I'm 220 lbs right now. 2 years ago I was 250. I don't exercise regularly, my job is tough enough all round to rate that. I eat hardly any processed sugar, a lot of fruit and the occasional cookie or something but that's it. A Pepsi maybe once a month. I've cut my carbs in half by cutting out the 2 cheeseburgers with the Whopper and getting the small fries with water. Other things like eggs I eat more of, usually boiled or with bacon in the morning. I eat a lot of my daughters soups.

I've lost the weight by changing what I ate and how much It seems to be staying off.

Old 12-14-2018, 08:52 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,254,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
I've cut my carbs in half by cutting out the 2 cheeseburgers
You can have cheeseburgers, just cut out the buns.
I use McD Voice to get buy one get one Quarter Pounder w/cheese, no bun.
All you need is a receipt... order a drink and you have one.
After I order the 1st two Quarter Pounders w/cheese, I have another receipt. Repeat.
Stack up the four Quarter Pounders w/cheese and you're good to go.

They have something called a 7x7 at Steak & Shake... seven burgers and seven pieces of cheese.
Again, order with no bun. It's not a regular menu item... it's on the Late Nite Drunk Menu.

Finally, Hardees/Carl's Jr. has lo carb versions of many of their burgers.
They wrap the burger in lettuce and use low sugar ketchup.

Old 12-14-2018, 09:44 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMBGBlueCanary View Post
It doesn't help that you can do the same exercise and different sources tell you different amounts. I tend to "run" on an elliptical (bad knees and it doesn't hurt my knees like real running). The machine will tell me I've burnt 500 calories... the fitness/calorie counting app I use is usually says it's about half that much 275 or so. So which is right? I bet a lot of people believe the machine. I think they are both probably inflated.

I lost 70 pounds and still have to work at keeping it off. All the fancy diets (tried low carb, Atkins, Mediterranean, Vegetarian, etc), diet books, cook books and all the exercise in the word didn't really help as much as just counting calories. And I learned that subtracting calories from exercise does not help. It makes it harder.

What I did to lose weight is what I still do to keep it off. Try to avoid a lot of processed foods and try to mainly eat "whole foods" (think buy eggs, onions, and peppers and make scrambled eggs instead of buying a frozen breakfast "scrambler" in a box) and I STILL count calories. By the way, I avoid the processed foods, but not all the time. I just try to keep them at a minimum. I don't always have time to make my own soup, so I still might eat a can of chicken noodle on a rainy day. The key is moderation.

I exercise, but not primarily for maintaining weight. I do it for the other health benefits and I don't count the "calories burned" while exercising against my intake of calories for maintenance.

EDIT to add: One thing to keep in mind about counting calories. FDA allows food companies to be 20% off on their calorie counts. So it's not exact. That 100 calorie item may be 100 calories... or it may be 120 or maybe even 80. And it's really hard to count calories in fresh food. An apple of the same type, size, and weight most likely won't have the same amount of calories as an apple that is nearly identical. That's because growing conditions can change the sugar or water content of the fruit. So calories counting in and of itself isn't 100% accurate. But counting does give you the best guess at how much fuel you are putting into your body.
I use the elliptical too. I wouldn't say that the calorie burned number is bogus, but it should really be used only as a guide, if that much. It's based on an algorithm, and that's presuming that the user all users are the same height, male, and actually perform the exercise correctly (i.e. not hugging the console/arm rails, standing erect as possible). For the weight, I usually input ten pounds less than my actual weight.

I burn about 620 calories in 40 mins. I also lifted.

I also rely on "perceived exertion" and heart rate. Immediately after I work out, I take my pulse. I always try to get in the 75%-85% zone. A good cardio session will leave me dripping with sweat and unable to carry on conversation. I don't need the machine to tell me what I can easily tell when I'm done

I *never* subtracted exercise calories while losing. I always ate 1500 and the exercise was a bonus. However, the intense workouts allow me to have "cheat days", when I don't count at all. I assume it balances itself out. Sometimes it comes down to trial and error and how your body works.

When I'm maintaining, I have a bit more leeway than before, but the moment things start to go upward I get more strict. Recently I've cut out those little extra calorie snacks that made their way into my diet (i.e. the one cookie at work, the 100 calories here and there). I really didn't miss them that much.

I, too, eat mostly healthy, but I do believe in indulgences and not everything I eat comes picked from from the tree (or some other person's tree). I will never stop eating and loving jasmine and basmati rice, which are both white. By practicing moderation, as you said, and working out I've kept the weight off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss