Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2019, 08:27 PM

2 posts, read 1,407 times

Advertisements

I feel like this is often overlooked, can someone please explain the correlation between diet and lifestyle? I feel like many people look for an easy out and end up with no results because their not looking at the bigger picture.

Thanks much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2019, 11:53 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,015,804 times
Diets tend to be temporary. If I say I'm going on a diet, then I generally mean a temporary change, usually until I lose a certain amount of weight (or give up).

Lifestyle is how you live on a regular basis. If I say I want to change my lifestyle, I generally mean that I want to make a permanent change to how I live my life.

While what and how I eat is my 'diet', the fact that I consider it permanent and intend to continue to live and eat this way for many years to come indicate that this is a permanent, lifelong way of life (or lifestyle).

At least, that's my understanding....

Old 01-18-2019, 02:59 PM

5,606 posts, read 3,510,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunman223 View Post
I feel like this is often overlooked, can someone please explain the correlation between diet and lifestyle? I feel like many people look for an easy out and end up with no results because their not looking at the bigger picture.

Thanks much!
If you spend 8 hours a day hammering a piece of metal or digging a trench with a spade using most of your muscles that is a lifestyle which requires a significant amount of calories.
If you spend 8 hours at a desk and go to a gym after work to spend time on a treadmill or doing Pilates that requires significantly fewer calories.
The trick is to work out how many calories your body needs for your lifestyle without putting on weight.
1500 calories per day and 30-45 minutes exercise ( a brisk walk ) and you'll be fine.
Everything anyone else says is nonsense.

Old 01-22-2019, 10:38 PM

3,690 posts, read 2,411,133 times
Look up "NEAT. Org. "

Old 01-23-2019, 08:36 AM

7,253 posts, read 5,126,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
1500 calories per day and 30-45 minutes exercise ( a brisk walk ) and you'll be fine.
Everything anyone else says is nonsense.

Not true..... amounts of carbs, fat and protein in the diet each influence hormone secretion differently and which metabolic pathways are turned on or off. It also influences the CNS reflexes that signal satiety & hunger.

Eg- incretins (hormones from the gut) tell the pancreas to start secreting insulin. Fat in the food also causes incretins to be secreted in larger amounts telling the brain "I'm full." That's why we joke about Chinese food & hunger- little fat in the food- and why the newer diabetes drugs that are based on incretins are proving to make it easier to lose weight....Insulin in turn stimulates the storage of fat and inhibits the burning of fat-- that's why the low carb diet is best for weight loss.

Everybody has their own personal metabolic rate and exercise efficiency, but a good starting point is to eat a diet providing 10cal per lb of desired weight...That 1500 cal diet would maintain a 150lb weight-- great advice if you weigh 200 and want to lose, but if you're only 110 lb to start, you'll go up to 150...Some articles recommend 1500 cal because the so called "standard man" is considered to be 70 kg (154lb).

Few people will burn fat if they're getting more than 40gm carbs per day in their diet. Some people, particularly diabetics who are extremely efficient at making & saving fat, need to go less than 10gm carbs per day to start burning fat. Everybody is different.....And the biggest reason for failure to lose on a low carb diet is failure to actually go low enough...also beware, they put sugar in the craziest places (why tomato soup?) where you don't expect it, so it goes uncounted.

Old 01-23-2019, 08:47 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,817,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Not true..... amounts of carbs, fat and protein in the diet each influence hormone secretion differently and which metabolic pathways are turned on or off. It also influences the CNS reflexes that signal satiety & hunger.

Eg- incretins (hormones from the gut) tell the pancreas to start secreting insulin. Fat in the food also causes incretins to be secreted in larger amounts telling the brain "I'm full." That's why we joke about Chinese food & hunger- little fat in the food- and why the newer diabetes drugs that are based on incretins are proving to make it easier to lose weight....Insulin in turn stimulates the storage of fat and inhibits the burning of fat-- that's why the low carb diet is best for weight loss.

Everybody has their own personal metabolic rate and exercise efficiency, but a good starting point is to eat a diet providing 10cal per lb of desired weight...That 1500 cal diet would maintain a 150lb weight-- great advice if you weigh 200 and want to lose, but if you're only 110 lb to start, you'll go up to 150...Some articles recommend 1500 cal because the so called "standard man" is considered to be 70 kg (154lb).

Few people will burn fat if they're getting more than 40gm carbs per day in their diet. Some people, particularly diabetics who are extremely efficient at making & saving fat, need to go less than 10gm carbs per day to start burning fat. Everybody is different.....And the biggest reason for failure to lose on a low carb diet is failure to actually go low enough...also beware, they put sugar in the craziest places (why tomato soup?) where you don't expect it, so it goes uncounted.
Got any peer reviewed studies to back that up?
The reason people fail on low carb diets is because eventually they are going to eat bread or pasta or a baked good. Making low carb a lifestyle change is difficult.

Old 01-23-2019, 09:11 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post

Well then I'm one of those "few". I eat no less than three times that amount and as you can see, obviously fat was burned.

Old 01-23-2019, 06:36 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,574,832 times
People often achieve short-term success by following a prescriptive eating program such as Atkins, Weight Watchers, Keto, etc. Some are able to transition into longer term strategies and maintain their improved physical conditioning. But most people fail to do so.

Almost everyone has it in them to follow a plan for a near-horizon goal but fail to consider what lies beyond.

Success in achieving and maintaining a desired level of fitness and health requires a shift in how a person lives their lives and the choices they make consistently. So few weight-loss methods address that part. But they shouldn't, it's in their best interest to grow a crowd of repeat customers (though they'll all scream in outrage for my suggesting that).

This last go-round for me required that I take a hard look at how I lived my life and examined the choices I make. I realized that a life without eating pizza and ice cream would never work and so I searched out a way to lose weight without sacrificing my favorite food choices. For me it was mindful eating and an awareness of what I consumed and the impact it had on my body. I forged a relationship between the energy equivalent of the food I chose and how much my body needed to run itself. I can eat ice cream and pizza (and often do), but within certain limits.

Some people achieve long term success via intermittent fasting, or restricting complex carbs, both of which become part of their adjusted lifestyle. I knew I needed the flexibility to participate in meals at various times and also be able to find viable options wherever I found myself eating and so took a pass on those. But we are all different.

They key is that whatever path someone takes, they need to address both near and long term goals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss