Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 06:18 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,658,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VexedAndSolitary View Post
Interesting. Have you tried the LC/IF thing? Worth a shot anyhow.
I have tried to go low carbish a bit. Definitely not IF though. I don't thing my GERD/reflux could handle one large meal very well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2019, 08:37 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times
this topic interests me because I am pre-menopausal and I do believe that our body changes each year that we age. I'm going to be 44 now and I find that I have to be even more conscious of what I eat than even last year. I still have my weekly splurge day but during the non-splurge days I really try and focus more on eating more vegetables and truly sticking to smaller portions. I scaled down my portions drastically during my loss, but I still had wiggle room to not be super strict and just go by general idea. Nowadays, I have "tightened my belt" so to speak, I do measure out my grains/carbs. I follow the three section plate rule and have a nice heaping helping of vegetables. I've increased my healthy fat intake (I now eat 45-50g), increased my protein to over 100g most days, and decreased carbs to 150g. That seems to be the sweet spot. The carbs are also mostly from fruit, beans, rice. some days i have a potato. I replaced my daily popcorn with almonds. I actually do try new things I've read here, lol.

Old 02-14-2019, 08:57 AM

3,563 posts, read 1,879,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
this topic interests me because I am pre-menopausal and I do believe that our body changes each year that we age. I'm going to be 44 now and I find that I have to be even more conscious of what I eat than even last year. I still have my weekly splurge day but during the non-splurge days I really try and focus more on eating more vegetables and truly sticking to smaller portions. I scaled down my portions drastically during my loss, but I still had wiggle room to not be super strict and just go by general idea. Nowadays, I have "tightened my belt" so to speak, I do measure out my grains/carbs. I follow the three section plate rule and have a nice heaping helping of vegetables. I've increased my healthy fat intake (I now eat 45-50g), increased my protein to over 100g most days, and decreased carbs to 150g. That seems to be the sweet spot. The carbs are also mostly from fruit, beans, rice. some days i have a potato. I replaced my daily popcorn with almonds. I actually do try new things I've read here, lol.

I've read some of your posts and viewed your photos (stunning!) and what you're doing is obvi working!

But after menopause you may have some carb metabolizing issues, as I did. The difference pre- and postmenopause for me was shocking. I was someone who had NEVER had a weight problem. Never. Nor, I may add, a health problem. I felt "sick" for the three years or so I was fat, for the first time in my life. Now I feel as I did pre-menopause (except am no longer a sexpot lmao).

That you workout (I never have) though, may mean you'll need some carbs for energy and cannot ever go super low or no carb.

It's definitely interesting to consider how menopause causes endo shifts that affect carbohydrate use. I feel as I've stated that this is most definitely the case in some cases (again, NOT ALL).

Old 02-14-2019, 09:17 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,819,357 times
I am on the other side of menopause. It happened fairly late, at 55. I am now 57 and I have noticed a few things. I put on weight easier because I don't burn as many calories that I used to. So obviously I gained some weight over the past year especially. I am in the process of losing 20 lbs. I started Jan.1st and I am 10 pounds down as of yesterday.

I am a CICO person. I have tried Low Carb and Atkins and failed at both simply because I cannot function or live my life without grains. I don't feel good and I get disgusted with eating so much protein and fat.

I am not a baked goods person. I never rally have been with the exception of sourdough bread. Which is really just a treat ever now and then.

I do not need as many calories to function as I used to. After the first week of calories restriction I realized that I just don't feel like eating as much, and my portion size has gone down. I am satisfied with less. My workouts are are more strenuous when I am in a dieting mode, and I am enjoying pushing myself.

Old 02-14-2019, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I am on the other side of menopause. It happened fairly late, at 55. I am now 57 and I have noticed a few things. I put on weight easier because I don't burn as many calories that I used to. So obviously I gained some weight over the past year especially. I am in the process of losing 20 lbs. I started Jan.1st and I am 10 pounds down as of yesterday.

I am a CICO person. I have tried Low Carb and Atkins and failed at both simply because I cannot function or live my life without grains. I don't feel good and I get disgusted with eating so much protein and fat.

I am not a baked goods person. I never rally have been with the exception of sourdough bread. Which is really just a treat ever now and then.

I do not need as many calories to function as I used to. After the first week of calories restriction I realized that I just don't feel like eating as much, and my portion size has gone down. I am satisfied with less. My workouts are are more strenuous when I am in a dieting mode, and I am enjoying pushing myself.
Also interesting! I feel best on high protein; sluggish and lousy on grains. I used to crave them though and now no longer do; they don't even appeal anymore.

I don't count at all but I know I'm eating high cal in my one meal per day; I can eat 1lb (fresh, which has lots of water/less fat) mozz and a big plate of vegetables with olive oil, and some salami too, all at one sitting.

It's certain that individual biochem causes some folks to utilize fat better than others though this is not (yet) quantifiable via current testing methods.

Awesome loss btw (10lbs in what...six weeks)!

Old 02-14-2019, 10:29 AM

924 posts, read 1,677,235 times
Low carb reliably worked for me until a year on Zoloft, onset of Hashimoto's and onset of perimenopause. I would have strongly recommended it to anyone. Then there was a dramatic shift and nothing worked the same. I was on Atkins for two weeks, strictly, by the book, using only their recipes and no shortcuts and gained 6 pounds. I don't know which of the above, or what combo it was, but the change is permanent and I've accepted that. Other efforts at low carb have resulted in weight gain as well. IF also did nothing for me.

Over the last 13 years, I've tried everything. Most doctors I know urge low carb so they must be seeing good results with many patients and it must work for the majority. I have no criticism of it but it no longer works for me. I have concluded that for me, minimal fat, higher protein, high fiber and moderate complex carbs are best. I do weightlifting 3x week (1 is HIIT) and cardio 2x week (1 is HIIT). It has stopped my weight gain but exercise alone does not make you lose weight.

I am currently trying Weight Watchers (online) because it resembles the above, but their point system makes things easy to track. I am just done with trying to sort out what the heck I'm supposed to eat. WW has been around a long time, but it has modernized since the days of our grandmothers and seems like just a sensible, no extremes, eating plan that I can live with. I am losing weight. I feel good and I can get through a tough workout with no problems - actually, with energy to spare.

Old 02-14-2019, 11:06 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,819,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonmam View Post
Low carb reliably worked for me until a year on Zoloft, onset of Hashimoto's and onset of perimenopause. I would have strongly recommended it to anyone. Then there was a dramatic shift and nothing worked the same. I was on Atkins for two weeks, strictly, by the book, using only their recipes and no shortcuts and gained 6 pounds. I don't know which of the above, or what combo it was, but the change is permanent and I've accepted that. Other efforts at low carb have resulted in weight gain as well. IF also did nothing for me.

Over the last 13 years, I've tried everything. Most doctors I know urge low carb so they must be seeing good results with many patients and it must work for the majority. I have no criticism of it but it no longer works for me. I have concluded that for me, minimal fat, higher protein, high fiber and moderate complex carbs are best. I do weightlifting 3x week (1 is HIIT) and cardio 2x week (1 is HIIT). It has stopped my weight gain but exercise alone does not make you lose weight.

I am currently trying Weight Watchers (online) because it resembles the above, but their point system makes things easy to track. I am just done with trying to sort out what the heck I'm supposed to eat. WW has been around a long time, but it has modernized since the days of our grandmothers and seems like just a sensible, no extremes, eating plan that I can live with. I am losing weight. I feel good and I can get through a tough workout with no problems - actually, with energy to spare.
I have had Hashimotos for my entire life it seems. Once your doctor gets you on the right dose of medication it will not encumber your weight loss efforts. Antidepressants can be hard to lose weight on, but not impossible.

WW was my go to when I had to lose the 15 pounds I gained after my daughter was born 22 years ago. Then again when I had gained 40 pounds after my second marriage. I succeeded both times and now its just a matter of adhering to my food intake. I had menopause and and medications that put me where I am now. I highly recommend the program.

The one key component to WW for me was attending the meetings and the weigh-ins. It was great motivation. If you can find a local meeting I highly recommend attending.

HIIT and weight lifting are great ways to torch calories. So you have that going for you. And your diet sounds like mine. Although I do love my mono-saturated fats because they satiate me.

Old 03-02-2019, 10:21 AM

356 posts, read 284,750 times
congrats! how long are you fasting/eating?

Old 03-02-2019, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kateskouros View Post
congrats! how long are you fasting/eating?
I eat once/24hr. I love it.

Old 03-02-2019, 05:13 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyVW55 View Post
When I am at work I am *very* sedentary and chained to my desk. Looking at spreadsheets, accounting systems, etc. While it takes a lot of focus/attention, mental things have never been good at taking my mind off food. Not that I snack all day at work, I don't. But my stomach calls to me HARD.

On the weekends, I keep moving. I'm up doing projects, I never sit. As long as I am up moving, shopping, cleaning, etc. I can go a longer time without even thinking about food.
And when your stomach is growling loudly at work, you have no choice but to eat something to shut it up. I find myself in that situation a lot because I eat a small breakfast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss