Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 05:15 PM

281 posts, read 247,279 times

Advertisements

I just looked this up. What do you think ?

Buy From The Grocery Store:
Dairy and Eggs
Eggs — 2 dozen. ~$6
Half and Half — 4 oz. ~$1
Heavy Whipping Cream — 4 oz. ~$1
Sour cream — ¼ cup (2 oz). ~$0.25
Butter — 6 tablespoons (3 oz). ~$0.50
Cheddar Cheese — 2 cups (1 pound). ~$3-4
Parmesan Cheese (grated) — 1 1/3 cups (~5 oz.). ~$3

Meat and Fish
Bacon — 21 oz. ~$8
Ground Beef — 1 lb. of 80/20 ground beef. ~$4
Canned Pink Salmon* — 14.75 oz. ~$3

Fruits and Vegetables
Broccoli — 1 ½ pounds of broccoli florets. Estimated cost:~$2.50
Cauliflower — 1 1/5 pounds of cauliflower. ~$2.00
Watercress — 4 oz (3-4 cups). ~$2.50-4.00
Spinach — 4 cups (8 oz). ~$2.00
Avocado — 1 medium sized avocado. ~$1-2
Lemons — 2 lemons. ~$1.00

Herbs and Spices
Fresh Chives — 4 tablespoons (~0.5 oz) of chopped fresh chives. ~$2.50
Fresh Dill — ¼ cup (~0.1 oz) of chopped fresh dill. ~$0.50
Fresh Basil — 2 tablespoons (~0.2 oz) of chopped fresh basil. ~$1.25
Garlic* — 3 teaspoons (~3-4 cloves) of minced garlic. ~$0.10
Dried Parsley* — 2 teaspoons (~0.04 oz) of dried parsley flakes. ~$0.04
Onion Powder* — 1 teaspoon (~0.09 oz). ~$0.08
Garlic Powder* — ¾ teaspoon (~0.08 oz). ~$0.03
Celery Salt* — ½ teaspoon (~0.1 oz). ~$0.10
Red Chili Flakes* — ½ teaspoon (~0.05 oz). ~$0.03
Cayenne Pepper Powder* — ½ teaspoon (~0.03 oz). ~$0.04
Salt* — 1 teaspoon (~0.2 oz) of kosher salt. ~$0.10
Black Pepper* — 1 teaspoon (~0.08 oz). ~$0.08
Ground Cinnamon* — ¼ teaspoon (~0.02 oz). ~$0.02
Ground Nutmeg* — ¼ teaspoon (~0.02 oz). ~$0.02
Ground Ginger* — 1/8 teaspoon (~0.01 oz). ~$0.02
Ground Allspice* — 1/8 teaspoon (~0.01 oz). ~$0.02

Oils And Condiments
Avocado Oil* — ¼ cup (2 oz). ~$1.50
Olive Oil* — 6 tablespoons (~3 oz). ~$1
Heinz Reduced Sugar Ketchup* — 2 tablespoons (~1 oz). ~$0.25
Dijon Mustard* — 1 tablespoon (~0.5 oz). ~$0.15
Mayonnaise* — 2 tablespoons (~1 oz). ~$0.20

Baking Goods
Unsweetened Cocoa Powder* — 3 teaspoons (~0.25 oz). ~$0.10
Aluminum-Free Baking Powder* — ½ teaspoon (~0.2 oz). ~$0.05
Vanilla Extract* — ¼ teaspoon (~0.04 oz). ~$0.08

Peanut Butter
Natural Creamy Peanut Butter (no added sugar)* — 3 tablespoons (~1.5 oz). ~$0.40
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2019, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by st33lcas3 View Post
No chicken breast, too much protein not enough fat. Stick with thighs and drumsticks. Also, you need a higher fat ratio. 70% fat, 20% protein and 10% carbs. One way to achieve this is what's know as 'fat bombs'. Super high fat, very little carbs.
Also, you can't eat just any fat. Use natural fats. No canola\sunflower\corn oil. No Crisco or shelf stable fatty foods. My trinity is avocado, coconut and olive oil. Olive oil is more for dressing, not for cooking.
Like Miss Hepburn said, don't be afraid to add salt to your food. Your not eating processed crap that is already loaded with salt, so you have to add it.

One good site with good info and recipes is Ruled.me. Check it out when you get a chance.

Thank you for the website. It is really helpful.

70% fat is really high for me right now. If I want to do a moderate version of Keto, just to stay full on the Intermittent Fasting, and not go into ketosis, which percentage would you suggest?

Also, what oil do you use for frying food? I tried to find a good high smoking point oil.

And what do you think of bacon? It is not "natural" fat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Maybe. Satiety is highly individual. It's not going to result in ketosis absent lots of caloric restriction. With a 50% caloric restriction, that would be maybe about right. Which is why you really want to look at grams and not macro ratios if combining keto with caloric restriction.

For me satiety is a combination of volume and fat/protein. Volume makes me feel like I'm full. Fat and protein make me feel like I'm not hungry two hours later. E.g., I can eat half a pound of bacon, which is a large amount of calories, and still be looking around for more food. Volume isn't there. On the other hand if I eat a loaf of french bread that might make me feel full for an hour. Volume but almost all carbs. That's one of the reasons I like salads. I can eat a disgustingly large salad and stuff myself silly and get the volume. The protein (chicken, legumes, lentils, or whatever) and fat (dressing) then keep me from feeling hungry two hours later. But satiety is very individual.
Thank you! You are a big help!

BTW, which salad dressing do you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
This is the truest thing anyone ever said on the Internet.

I have a slab of really thick bacon from the butcher shop... the bacon is like 1/4" thick.
Guess what I'm having this weekend?

It'll make up for all of the grilled chicken I've been eating.

I love grilled chicken!! I have been staying away from bacon for 20 years, from hearing that it will lead to heart problem. Is that true?

Old 03-01-2019, 05:40 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,254,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KitKat85 View Post
I love grilled chicken!!
The weather sucks so bad here that I can't grill my own.
But Jewel food stores to the rescue. They have something called Cheap Chicken Mondays.
It's a whole grilled or fried chicken for 5 bucks. Darn good chicken, too.

Quote:
I have been staying away from bacon for 20 years, from hearing that it will lead to heart problem. Is that true?
Heck if I know. But I do know this.

Bacon tastes good.

Old 03-01-2019, 06:33 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times
Bacon...my opinion... every one should read the facts in 'Keto Clarity' (a book)...explains so much with factual statistics.

One point...it isn't the fats...it is the combination with carbs that is the killer.
Eskimos that have been studied...don't have carbs up there...blubber...yes...and little to no heart disease...that's what I rem from the facts.

Old 03-01-2019, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
The weather sucks so bad here that I can't grill my own.
But Jewel food stores to the rescue. They have something called Cheap Chicken Mondays.
It's a whole grilled or fried chicken for 5 bucks. Darn good chicken, too.

Heck if I know. But I do know this.

Bacon tastes good.
LoL you are in Chicago?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Bacon...my opinion... every one should read the facts in 'Keto Clarity' (a book)...explains so much with factual statistics.

One point...it isn't the fats...it is the combination with carbs that is the killer.
Eskimos that have been studied...don't have carbs up there...blubber...yes...and little to no heart disease...that's what I rem from the facts.

I see! I will look it up. Thank you.

Old 03-01-2019, 06:57 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,166,449 times
Quote:
Thank you for the website. It is really helpful.

70% fat is really high for me right now. If I want to do a moderate version of Keto, just to stay full on the Intermittent Fasting, and not go into ketosis, which percentage would you suggest?

Also, what oil do you use for frying food? I tried to find a good high smoking point oil.

And what do you think of bacon? It is not "natural" fat.

Thank you! You are a big help!

BTW, which salad dressing do you use?

I love grilled chicken!! I have been staying away from bacon for 20 years, from hearing that it will lead to heart problem. Is that true?

Cutting carbs and forcing your body to use fats for fuel instead of glucose is what puts you into ketosis. That can vary person by person. If you want to do a moderate version, cut out refined sugars, processed foods and junk food. Get your carbs from natural sources like whole grains, beans, and veggies.

As for cooking oils, coconut is my go too, with avocado oil a close second. Coconut oil has a fairly high smoke point. Looks for refined oil that doesn't have coconut flavor or smell. Avocado oil has a smoke point around 500F, which is more than enough for frying. I also use clarified butter for my eggs. It has a higher smoke point because the fat solids have been removed. It's easy to make too!

My thoughts on bacon? I'd crawl thorough broken glass to get some, lol. Bacon has a bad rap because it does have a high fat content, but it is natural fat. it's not a man made fat. Most is loaded with nitrates in the curing process, which can be bad for you. However, there are a lot of brands that have either no nitrates or use natural nitrates from celery or beets. Remember too, a lot of the fat is rendered off during cooking, so that helps.

If there is one thing I have learned doing keto it's that it isn't the amount of fat you eat, it's the type. Natural fats from meats, cheese, nuts and veggies are healthy. Stay away from trans fats and traditional cooking oils like canola or corn oil.

Old 03-01-2019, 07:05 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,254,576 times
Quote:
LoL you are in Chicago?
Go west a couple of hundred miles.

Old 03-01-2019, 07:21 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,166,449 times
Quote:
I just looked this up. What do you think ?

Buy From The Grocery Store:
Dairy and Eggs
Eggs — 2 dozen. ~$6
Half and Half — 4 oz. ~$1
Heavy Whipping Cream — 4 oz. ~$1
Sour cream — ¼ cup (2 oz). ~$0.25
Butter — 6 tablespoons (3 oz). ~$0.50
Cheddar Cheese — 2 cups (1 pound). ~$3-4
Parmesan Cheese (grated) — 1 1/3 cups (~5 oz.). ~$3

Meat and Fish
Bacon — 21 oz. ~$8
Ground Beef — 1 lb. of 80/20 ground beef. ~$4
Canned Pink Salmon* — 14.75 oz. ~$3

Fruits and Vegetables
Broccoli — 1 ½ pounds of broccoli florets. Estimated cost:~$2.50
Cauliflower — 1 1/5 pounds of cauliflower. ~$2.00
Watercress — 4 oz (3-4 cups). ~$2.50-4.00
Spinach — 4 cups (8 oz). ~$2.00
Avocado — 1 medium sized avocado. ~$1-2
Lemons — 2 lemons. ~$1.00

Herbs and Spices
Fresh Chives — 4 tablespoons (~0.5 oz) of chopped fresh chives. ~$2.50
Fresh Dill — ¼ cup (~0.1 oz) of chopped fresh dill. ~$0.50
Fresh Basil — 2 tablespoons (~0.2 oz) of chopped fresh basil. ~$1.25
Garlic* — 3 teaspoons (~3-4 cloves) of minced garlic. ~$0.10
Dried Parsley* — 2 teaspoons (~0.04 oz) of dried parsley flakes. ~$0.04
Onion Powder* — 1 teaspoon (~0.09 oz). ~$0.08
Garlic Powder* — ¾ teaspoon (~0.08 oz). ~$0.03
Celery Salt* — ½ teaspoon (~0.1 oz). ~$0.10
Red Chili Flakes* — ½ teaspoon (~0.05 oz). ~$0.03
Cayenne Pepper Powder* — ½ teaspoon (~0.03 oz). ~$0.04
Salt* — 1 teaspoon (~0.2 oz) of kosher salt. ~$0.10
Black Pepper* — 1 teaspoon (~0.08 oz). ~$0.08
Ground Cinnamon* — ¼ teaspoon (~0.02 oz). ~$0.02
Ground Nutmeg* — ¼ teaspoon (~0.02 oz). ~$0.02
Ground Ginger* — 1/8 teaspoon (~0.01 oz). ~$0.02
Ground Allspice* — 1/8 teaspoon (~0.01 oz). ~$0.02

Oils And Condiments
Avocado Oil* — ¼ cup (2 oz). ~$1.50
Olive Oil* — 6 tablespoons (~3 oz). ~$1
Heinz Reduced Sugar Ketchup* — 2 tablespoons (~1 oz). ~$0.25
Dijon Mustard* — 1 tablespoon (~0.5 oz). ~$0.15
Mayonnaise* — 2 tablespoons (~1 oz). ~$0.20

Baking Goods
Unsweetened Cocoa Powder* — 3 teaspoons (~0.25 oz). ~$0.10
Aluminum-Free Baking Powder* — ½ teaspoon (~0.2 oz). ~$0.05
Vanilla Extract* — ¼ teaspoon (~0.04 oz). ~$0.08

Peanut Butter
Natural Creamy Peanut Butter (no added sugar)* — 3 tablespoons (~1.5 oz). ~$0.40
Good list. The only thing I'd would not buy would be the half and half, It has too many carbs, Heavy whipping cream is all you need.

As for peanut butter, it's technically a legume which isn't allowed. Almond butter would be a better choice. If you do use peanut butter, find the kind you have to stir and refrigerate. Regular p.b., even the ones called natural, use hydrogenated fat to remain shelf stable. That's a bad fat that you should avoid. A lot of almond butter is the same way, but I found a non-hydrogenated version at Target. Many stores will also have fresh ground nut butters in the bulk food section.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss