Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2019, 12:57 AM

1 posts, read 482 times

Advertisements

I've been going the gym for years, mainly weigh lifting , but have got fat last few years.
So my goal is to loose weight, mainly fat and not so much muscle if can be helped. I still train weights 2-3 times a week. But have cut calories significantly.

So I've started cardio 3-4 times a week.
My routine is as follows
Elliptical trainer
30 mins HIIT which is
1:30mins level 8 heart rate around 130-145bpm
30 seconds level 18 heart rate up to 160-180bpm
And repeat for 30 mins.

As the 30 mins goes on my HR is more towards the upper scale of what I've listed.

I'm aged 44 and male, so certainly am getting my HR up to near max. But I'm wondering am.i slowing it enough on my level 8 periods to benefit from HIIT training. I don't wish to reduce the level lower than 8, as I feel this is very easy for the resting period.

3 mins cool down at the end, after 30mins

Would a low carb protein shake help after or even before cardio ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2019, 08:54 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,819,357 times
This should be on the exercise forum.

Old 03-06-2019, 11:08 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,254,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirralmonkey View Post
But have cut calories significantly.
If you cut enough to get into a deficit it ought to work.
If you didn't, then it probably won't.

I don't know nothin' about the rest of that stuff.
I do cardio but it's not why I'm losing weight. I'm pretty sure I'd lose weight even if I didn't do it.

Old 03-06-2019, 11:33 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,575,509 times
Maybe just reduce your caloric intake and see how that goes while keeping to your normal workout schedule.

You can't exercise away a bad diet, ever.

Old 03-09-2019, 11:04 AM

21,876 posts, read 25,139,139 times
Depends what your goal is. If your goal is to lose weight, practice the fork side of the equation.

If you're doing 15 sets of 30x90 intervals right, that's not really something you can do 4x a week. But that's really more for anaerobic/buffering than weight loss. Stepping down by maybe 10% might still be effective for weight loss but, but just not useful for fitness. HIIT in general is very good for weight loss. Whether you can do 90% HIIT and get much weight loss benefits is questionable. I kind of doubt it, but then I've never cared about it for weight loss so I have no idea.

If you're going for aerobic conditioning, not the right intervals. There's a thousand theories of fitness but 5-10 minute intervals work well for aerobic fitness. But it's really the same thing. Done right, 4x8 or whatever isn't something you can 4x a week.

Twice a week would be a better number, cross train, go for a run, swim, or just do an easier 30 minute workout. If you're interested in becoming fit rather than just weight loss, do a longer workout on the fourth day. If not just another short easier day. I'd mix it up and go jogging outside or swimming. 4x a week on the ellipitical staring at some walls -- shoot me now. Take a Zoomba or yoga class or something. At least there's something to look at and it's less boring.

Old 03-11-2019, 03:16 AM

3,693 posts, read 2,412,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirralmonkey View Post
I've been going the gym for years, mainly weigh lifting , but have got fat last few years.
So my goal is to loose weight, mainly fat and not so much muscle if can be helped. I still train weights 2-3 times a week. But have cut calories significantly.

So I've started cardio 3-4 times a week.
My routine is as follows
Elliptical trainer
30 mins HIIT which is
1:30mins level 8 heart rate around 130-145bpm
30 seconds level 18 heart rate up to 160-180bpm
And repeat for 30 mins.

As the 30 mins goes on my HR is more towards the upper scale of what I've listed.

I'm aged 44 and male, so certainly am getting my HR up to near max. But I'm wondering am.i slowing it enough on my level 8 periods to benefit from HIIT training. I don't wish to reduce the level lower than 8, as I feel this is very easy for the resting period.

3 mins cool down at the end, after 30mins

Would a low carb protein shake help after or even before cardio ?
IMO, you can wait 2 hours before ingesting a protein shake or any food because once you do, you're increase in insulin will stop fat loss.

Also IMO, 30 minutes is too long for HIIT with 21 minutes being optimal.

I assume some will disagree.

Do HIIT in a fasted state also, to burn more fat.

Get rest with at least 1 day off between, HIIT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss