Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 09:05 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,907,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I'm a stress eater until things get really really really bad. Then I stop eating and scare the bejesus out of everyone. My ex's child was kidnapped by the noncustodial parent and was possibly in danger. I could barely look at food until he was found and often found myself just puking my guts out from the stress and worry.

But most of the time, somethign stressful happens and I'm ordering extra-large everything at the drive thru. Le sigh.
I don't do the drive-thru because I don't do meat, dairy, eggs, sugar, salt, transfat, dyes. Restaurant food in general sort of scares me, even vegan restaurants. I wasn't always like that but when you get older and have a significant health scare, things change.

I would not suggest that everyone who has a weight problem also has emotional problems, but food almost always has a psychological element. It's a very tough problem. As I've mentioned elsewhere I've been doing IF OMAD since late August and it has caused me to feel at least a little differently about my habits and attitudes with respect to food. Breaking old habits is very tough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2019, 09:16 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
I'm a stress eater for sure.

Honestly, it depends on the level of the stress that determines whether I give in to it or am able to redirect.

Old 03-18-2019, 05:31 PM

2,020 posts, read 1,124,293 times
It depends on the stress level. If I am under high stress, I stop eating or eat very little. Mild to moderate stress increases my appetite for treats.

Old 03-19-2019, 07:38 AM

559 posts, read 1,395,021 times
I lose my appetite when I feel very stressed or very sad, worried or upset. When I feel really stressed I lose interest in food no matter how much food is available to me and no matter how much time I have to eat.

I remember being at a restaurant one time when I felt very sad and ordering a meal that I like, but barely being able to force myself to eat it. I took most of it home. Normally at restaurants I have no problem easily finishing an entire meal when I feel happy or content.

Old 03-19-2019, 08:08 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
Thankfully I'm one of those people who when I get upset or stressed I can't even think about putting a bite of food in my mouth. Otherwise with all the stress I've had in my life over the last 9 years I would be 700 pounds!

Old 03-19-2019, 09:15 AM

8,196 posts, read 2,844,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
I sympathize. It's very easy to slip into unhealthy attitudes toward food, in either direction--too much or too little. Sugar was always my problem, when I was 220 at 6'3" (in college) and now it is just simply not an option. No processed food with sugar in it. None, period. I don't know anything about hard drugs, but I have read that sugar addiction is like that.

Not wanting to eat is a novel feeling for me, but one I've experienced since I started IF in August. Just find the foods you really like. It might be half an avocado with Brianna French vinaigrette. I can't hold what I used to, but there is no crime in throwing food out, I've discovered.
Yes and the only way I finally was able to break it was the Atkins type diet. It changed my life. I just wish I'd tried it sooner.

Those people on "My 600 Pound life" use food like an alcoholic uses alcohol and a drug addict uses drugs to self medicate.

Some do it to a lesser degree too because it's easier than figuring out or carrying out a healthy alternative. Been there done that. Still have my moments. Thank God I never even came close to approaching their proportions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss