Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2019, 08:13 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,903,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I can't visit that forum. I invariably post something inappropriate and get booted off, the last time for 45 days.

Old 03-24-2019, 09:08 PM

3,972 posts, read 5,162,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
To learn about milk you can research the dairy industry. In order to produce a constant flow of milk, cows are artificially insemination on a "rape rack." Then when the calf is born it's taken from the mother and put in a small pen until it's butchered for veal. Both the cow and the calf wail inconsolably for days.

There is really no reason to drink milk since other milks are so delicious and don't have the allowed percentage of pus the government stipulates as acceptable.
Your talking about the massive farms that crank out diary on a huge scale. You can find smaller local farms that don't use "rape racks" or take the calf for veal. Fresh butter from those small farm cows is light years better than store bought. Same with cheeses made from their milk. It'll cost more, but it's worth it.

I have a friend at work that I'll sometimes get eggs from. She has 30 hens and they are outside everyday, eating what they want naturally. They aren't mistreated at all. The only thing they stress over is the occasional coyote coming around.

I don't know where you live, but a small diary farm shouldn't be to hard to find one. Farmer's markets are a good place too.

I know I'm not going to change your mind on this subject, I'm just saying you can find humane farms and well treated animals.

Old 03-24-2019, 09:17 PM

5,423 posts, read 3,480,717 times
I have seen films of the chicken farms that kill the male chicks since they don't lay the eggs. They put them in a big plastic bag and grind then up while still alive.

Old 03-24-2019, 09:31 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,360,745 times
The word cruelty is intense enough, descriptions aren't needed for me, personally....i think I've heard enough...I haven't had anything, but organic in many years...

Sooooo, it isn't about just about toxins and health. Ok.

Carry on.

Old 03-24-2019, 10:38 PM

24,093 posts, read 32,431,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I didn't know any of this!!

I was not aware the vegan stuff extended to honey, silk...for example....Eggs I'm not seeing either...
BUT~!
If this is too hot a topic...I'll ask for it to be shut down...it was not meant to offend or change people!
I think it is a good question. I thought that most people knew this.

The only way that I will eat eggs are from small egg producers who share my values, when it comes to animals.

I am not a vegan, and I know very few vegans. I admire them though.

As for myself, I try to eat a plant based diet - meaning half of everything I eat is vegetable or fruit based.

The dairy industry is as cruel as the meat industry. Maybe worse. As KaraZ said, I have no need to drink milk because there are so many dairy milk substitutes, that I do not need "real milk". Personally, I prefer oat milk.
MANY people are doing this, for health and environmental reasons. I don't live in a particularly "hip" area. but there are a variety of milk substitutes available in my local, non specialty supermarket. Almost as many as dairy milk. I am not the only person buying the stuff.

The only milk I ever gave my son, was from myself.
I have included some wild caught sea food and fish into my diet, but I eat much less cheese than I once did. I was once a "lacto-ovo vegetarian" but I became more sensitized to dairy products and how intertwined they are with the meat industry. Essentially, one would not exist without the other.

Delicious vegan cheese exists online and in specialty shops. The type available in my area, is just not that good, but I'd say that I eat cheese sparingly now. Since I am 61, I really do not need high fat, high cholesterol foods in my diet. I miss cheese more than I do meat.
I think the "taste" for these foods fades as you stop eating it.

In terms of meat from cows, pigs and other mammals or poultry, I have not eaten any since 1989. I have no plans to eat them in the future.

As with many people, I try to cause as little harm as I can to other creatures and to the earth. I am far from perfect. I try to be a "harm reductionist".

Old 03-24-2019, 11:55 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,269,210 times
Quote:
Eggs are a whole other, hideous story. Just know that the industries that produce and market these products are lying to us. They don't want us to know the truth.

Lets hear it,what truth about eggs am i missing?

Old 03-25-2019, 03:38 AM

2,089 posts, read 3,903,979 times
So veganism is about animal rights? Just source all your food better. I don't eat vegetables full of pesticides from factory farms either. (Proto-) humans have canine and back molar teeth (predators), we've been eating meat for 6 million years.

Last edited by Danbo1957; 03-25-2019 at 04:35 AM..

Old 03-25-2019, 04:27 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,006,689 times
Quote:
Yeah, people lose their minds when they hear this stuff. They can be very angry and abusive. It threatens their way of life.
It's usually the people who want to denigrate the vegans and vegetarians who become abusive, not the vegans/vegetarians themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo1957 View Post
Just another cult, never ends for the simple minded.
Case in point.

Old 03-25-2019, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo1957 View Post
So veganism is about animal rights? Just source all your food better. I don't eat vegetables full of pesticides from factory farms either. (Proto-) humans have canine and back molar teeth (predators), we've been eating meat for 6 million years.
There is a whole set of sort of standard arguments that vegans and carnivores get into: the teeth issue, the Bible issue, the "we have always done it" issue. None of that amounts to a hill of beans when one becomes aware of the suffering of these sentient beings, who have evolved right alongside us.

We should not waste CD bandwidth regurgitating these arguments. After so many years, I find it tiresome. Also a good way to get the thread closed down! The OP said she'd heard enough and I will abide by her remark.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=utPkDP3T7R4

Last edited by KaraZetterberg153; 03-25-2019 at 06:55 AM..

Old 03-25-2019, 07:14 AM

Gary has a video on Dairy. You need a Google account, I think. PM me if you want the YouTube link.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.