Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2019, 05:17 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,907,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy_C View Post
Ahh, I apologize! I clearly mis-read your statement. I really enjoy food, and I'm okay with that. I hope to never have a health scare that would alter how I eat!

Chicken and cheese are definitely healthy in my book. But some people do disagree, and that's okay.

As for the popcorn, it was microwave popcorn. But that's because we ended up with a box and I have a problem throwing food away. I would agree that microwave popcorn might not really qualify as healthy. But it sure was yummy! (and I do usually air pop my popcorn)
I hope you never have a serious health scare, also. I was 61, seven years ago, when I was diagnosed with Stage 1A ovarian cancer. The taste of food was about the last thing on my list. Doc said I "dodged a bullet."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2019, 02:58 AM

1,412 posts, read 1,016,445 times
I've heard there are cancer and medical treatments that can affect your sense of taste. I think that's probably the only time it wouldn't matter to me.

At two more packs of nuts last night, then hid the rest from myself (in the husband's car - he'll eat them at work). I truly cannot handle the nuts! Lesson learned....

Going out for pulled pork sandwiches today - total yum!

Old 04-08-2019, 10:29 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,907,940 times
Quote:
Ahh, I apologize! I clearly mis-read your statement.
That's thoughtful of you but there's no need to apologize; my remark was addressed to a different poster. See message #49:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/54876266-post49.html

I would write you privately but you have that function off.

Old 04-17-2019, 04:30 PM

1,386 posts, read 999,987 times
Quote:
What are our thoughts on a cheat day or cheat meal?
So eight years ago I started Tim Ferris's "Slow Carb" diet, which is, in effect, a low carb diet with the addition of beans and legumes. On that diet you're allowed to have one cheat day a week. I modified it a bit: I'd stick to the diet Sunday through Thursday, fast all day Friday until 6 PM, cheat and eat and drink anything I wanted Friday after 6 and all day Saturday. Literally, anything I wanted: beer, pizza, pasta, ice cream, bread, cinnamon rolls, fruit--anything.

Over about 8 months I went from 260 to 205. 55 pounds. The diet worked. If I couldn't have cheated, I would NOT have been successful. Period. Looking forward to the cheat one day a week made it possible for me to restrict my eating the rest of the week.

If you're interested, Google "Slow carb Tim Ferris." And no, I have no connection to Tim Ferris. I just know the diet works. And for me it worked because of the cheat day.

--

Old 04-17-2019, 07:49 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,255,993 times
That's basically what I'm planning to do.

Snack alert!
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ng/3492031002/
I'm curious about those fried pickle chips, since I don't eat potato chips.

Old 04-18-2019, 03:55 AM

I need 'free' days once in a while or I feel too restricted. It's been working for me!

Those pickle chips look ... interesting? Pickles have been recommended to me as a great way to curb those cravings. Want sweets? Eat pickles! It does actually change your taste buds! At least for the moment.

Old 04-23-2019, 01:57 PM

1,074 posts, read 641,040 times
If you need or want a "cheat day" then you have not changed your relationship with/attitude toward food.

I have seen some posts from true food addictive people and I understand that it is a disease, and I am not discounting that at all. For those people, please, do what works for you to not be seriously ill again!

I do also understand that having a cheat day is better than going off the rails because you feel too restricted, but still I encourage you all to embrace a clean eating style, regardless of figure, because of your internal organs and your health.

In our country, our food is so horrific even when choosing alleged healthy foods, so to choose foods that are knowingly unhealthy is really poisonous to our bodies.

Perhaps doing some research on food may help? I know it scares the hell out of me! ��

Old 04-23-2019, 05:59 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,255,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshaBrady1968 View Post
I do also understand that having a cheat day is better than going off the rails because you feel too restricted, but still I encourage you all to embrace a clean eating style, regardless of figure, because of your internal organs and your health.
I'm still a diabetic, so I must restrict. I have no choice in the matter.

The best way for me to go off the rails is to go big and get it over with.
That way I can shoot a bunch of insulin and preempt a single big blood sugar spike. There is a strategy to my cheats.
IMO, it's a much better strategy than continuously shooting at small spikes. Doing that will make you fat.

Old 04-24-2019, 04:30 AM

I'm similar to Eaton. I don't have diabetes, but I do have serious mood swings based on my sugar intake. And an addiction to it. I went off the rails with the sugar quite recently, and it didn't even taste that good. Turns out milk chocolate is just too sweet for me now. Dark chocolate is better, but didn't really taste like I remember it tasting.

No more for me. Back on the 'no added sugars' wagon! This will have to include maple syrup for now to, which makes me a bit sad.... I do so love pancakes!

Old 04-26-2019, 08:39 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshaBrady1968 View Post
If you need or want a "cheat day" then you have not changed your relationship with/attitude toward food.

I have seen some posts from true food addictive people and I understand that it is a disease, and I am not discounting that at all. For those people, please, do what works for you to not be seriously ill again!

In our country, our food is so horrific even when choosing alleged healthy foods, so to choose foods that are knowingly unhealthy is really poisonous to our bodies.

Perhaps doing some research on food may help? I know it scares the hell out of me! ��
Maybe my relationship with food has not changed. I do the best I can with the cards I've been dealt. Doesn't make me weak or incapable. It's admitting to a flaw and we all have them. It's all about handling your tendencies. Restrictions only increase my likelihood to binge. Bingeing, where I am eating copious amounts of calories in a short amount of time, causes weight gain. Weight gain causes health problems.

I eat "clean" most days of the week but I must have a day where I don't. If I don't employ this strategy, then I will revert to old eating patterns and regain all of the lost weight plus extra lbs. No thanks. I'd rather eat sugar, while enjoying more wholesome foods at the same time.

In fact, managing cheat days requires a LOT of discipline because "calories in, calories out" still applies and if the cheat day calories exceed what I'm burning, then I will gain weight. I actually lost weight, a lb a week, while having two cheat days (and then one when I got closer to my goal).

As for health, extra weight is proven to cause many health issues. that affects your internal organs and overall health. by reducing weight, your health will improve, even if you eat the occasional "poisonous" thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss