U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 05:31 AM

2,436 posts, read 1,059,176 times

Advertisements

I have a few go-to meals I use when I want to eat on the light side.

Breakfast - bowl of Special K (the original, not the sugary kind), frozen or fresh blueberries, and almond milk. I have shallow bowls so I get about 3/4 cup cereal. The almond milk is the kind that is about 30 cal per cup. Probably shredded wheat would be better but I really like Special K.

Lunch/dinner - same shallow bowl of chicken soup. I steam a bunch of vegs - cabbage, carrots, onions, garlic, peas and then throw in some light meat chicken and a can of chicken noodle soup for flavor. A thin slice of artisan bread, lightly toasted.

Snack - cut up veggies with garlic hummus.

Old 06-24-2019, 06:12 AM

3,992 posts, read 1,806,395 times
Cheap Chicken, which is the 8 pc grilled chicken that they sell on Mondays at Jewel for 5 bucks.
Take the skin off the thigh and breast... leg and wing don't have enough to matter.
I like Cheap Chicken a lot, so I eat a lot of it. I'll buy two of them tonight. Half a chicken is about 400 calories.

Some low carb veggie. I like asparagus best, I go through enough of it that I buy it in Sam's Club quantities. About 150 calories there.

Big salad with broccoli, cauliflower and Walden Farms dressing. I use a whole head of Romaine letttuce... 100 calories.
This is where the filler-uppers come in. I throw several cut up hard boiled eggs on top. A hard boiled egg is 80 calories.
I eat a lot of salads, too. Each one is about 400 calories.

All of that is 1K calories or less depending on how many eggs you have. You'll be very stuffed... I have this on Monday and Wednesday.
You can sub in some different meat and get more or less the same outcome. The last two are constants.

Last edited by eaton53; 06-24-2019 at 06:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2019, 06:37 AM

2,972 posts, read 1,008,225 times
I do OMAD in the mornng so my one meal is not always breakfast type foods. No animal products or refined sugar.

Any one (1) of the following, along with green or black tea with organic Stevia. I use Earth Balance non-soy margarine, and sometimes add a teaspoon of black strap mollasses. Unsweetened almond milk if I have coffee or bake cornbread (ground flax seed set in water for egg substitute).
• Stir-fry tofu and vegetables (cube and freeze tofu and dust in cornstarch; fry in olive oil)
• Legumes (pinto beans, black eyed peas, lentils) and rice or cornbread
• Oatmeal with bananas, strawberries, apples, walnuts, raisins and sugar free peanut butter
• Stir-fry rice and vegetables with soy sausage
• Soups: vegetable, mushroom, bean. With a bowl of rice, with low-sodium soy sauce and soy margarine
• An apple and an orange. Or I juice, especially carrots
• Three-bean salad, soy meat, mashed potatoes or steamed sweet potatoes
• Vegetable plate: mashed potatoes or sweet potatoes, corn on the cob, okra, sliced tomatoes
• Salad with romaine, mixed greens, sunflower seeds, radish, green peppers, green onions, tomatoes, garbanzo beans, walnuts, cucumbers, mushrooms, baby spinach
• Gluten-free pasta with soy margarine, vegan cheeses, cherry tomatoes, zucchini, mushrooms, baby spinach
• Hummus and celery. Hemp hearts and chia seeds

I use a lot of spices, too: garlic, onions, tumeric, cumin, parsley, cilantro.

Old 06-24-2019, 07:48 AM

961 posts, read 313,871 times
Pita sandwiches - pb&j, buffalo chicken, chicken with cheese + salsa, meatballs, turkey + bacon, or ham + cheese.

Yummmm....

Old 06-24-2019, 09:40 AM

36 posts, read 14,502 times
I bake huge quantities of b/s chicken breasts and freeze in 1's or 2's. So my go-to for dinner is a reheated breast and a bag of non-starchy steamable vegetables with just a tsp or two of olive or avocado oil. I'm stuffed for 400 or 500 calories depending on size of the chicken.

Lunch is often a whole avocado or a big bowl of cole slaw for 200 - 300 calories total.

Breakfast is 90% of the time a bowl of Fiber One Original with almond milk sometimes with a few frozen berries. Yeah there are better tasting cereals but this one lets me have a pretty big bowl that fills me up for 100 calories inlcuding the almond milk. And after eating it for years I've actually come to enjoy it and miss it when I have something else. I wish it didn't have artificial sweetener, but it's a small amount and that's the only AS I eat anymore.

Snacks are fresh fruit or raw vegetables or nuts.

Old 06-24-2019, 01:16 PM

302 posts, read 1,506,874 times
I've been working on losing weight thru calorie counting, averaging about 1250 calories per day (female, 5'2", over 60 yrs.) Not eliminating any foods or food groups, eating 2 or 3 meals per day, also snacks. I'm a grazer, tend to eat mini-meals or small portions throughout the day. I also like very plain, simple food, and prefer unsalted snacks such as unsalted plain almonds & peanuts, unsalted pretzels, etc. (I don't have salt in the house.)

Just lost 9 pounds in past 12 weeks, hoping to lose approx 15 more pounds. Some of my Go-To Meals --

Light Breakfasts, approx 200 calories (to eat 90 min before AM exercise, ex: tennis) --

-- Nonfat peach yogurt (90 cal) with flaxseed meal (20 cal) & unsalted peanuts (40 - 50 cal)

-- Small bowl Cheerios (100 cal) w/ almond milk (30 cal), half a banana (50 cal) & maybe fresh strawberry pieces (20 cal)

-- Whole wheat toast, 1 slice (70 calories) with peanut butter (70 cal) & a few almonds (unsalted, 20 cal)
(sometimes eat medium banana, 90 cal, instead of toast)

-- Light English muffin, toasted (120 cal), cheese (30 cal) & 1 slice ham (20 cal), microwave 15 seconds to melt cheese

Lunch or Dinner --

Large Salad: Greens, including Romaine & Spinach (20 cal), sliced tomatos, cucumbers, mushrooms (20 cal), feta cheese (30 cal), croutons (2 small plain Melba crackers, broken pieces, 20 cal), low-cal Greek dressing & red wine vinegar (30 cal) & protein-- either pieces grilled chicken (50 cal) or plain white fish (50 cal)

-- Boca Burger (70 cal), topped w/ melted half slice Provolone cheese (20 cal), 1/2 baked russet potato (90 cal) w/ 1 tsp. plain nonfat Greek yogurt (20 cal), tomato slices OR small salad (20 cal) w/ Greek salad dressing (20)

Snacks--
-- 4 - 6 plain unsalted almonds (30 - 40 cal)
-- 2 peanut butter crackers (60 cal)

-- Sliced Apple 40 cal or sliced peach 40 cal, sometimes w/ peanut butter (60 cal)
-- Fresh Fruit pieces (cantaloupe, watermelon, strawberries, blackberries, peach), 40 - 70 cal
-- Nonfat plain Greek yogurt (80 cal), red seedless grapes (30 cal), w/ flaxmeal (20 cal) mixed into yogurt

-- Leftover 1/2 baked Russet potato (90 cal), w/ parsley & black pepper, cold from fridge
-- Roasted red peppers (10 - 20 cal) w/ light Provolone cheese (40 cal) & plain breadsticks, 2 small (40 cal, Brooklyn Baked Sesame Breadsticks)

-- Hummus (50 cal) with unsalted plain pretzels (30 - 40 cal) or plain crackers (40 cal)
OR Mild Salsa (10 cal) w/ tortilla chips (70 cal)
OR Avocado mix (50 cal) w/ plain crackers (50 cal) or tortilla chips (70 cal)

Last edited by newbie09; 06-24-2019 at 02:03 PM.. Reason: added info

Old 06-24-2019, 01:28 PM

19,824 posts, read 18,832,665 times
I'm not a heavy eater and with a dairy allergy I have to avoid all dairy so I use almond milk instead.

Breakfast might be oatmeal with a little bit of brown sugar and almond milk + cup of tea. Or a poached egg on toast + cup of tea. Or mashed avocado on toast + cup of tea.

For lunch I am currently hooked on Amy's frozen non dairy burritoes and a glass of water or almond milk. But I'll often make something on pita bread--hummus, tomato, leftover chicken, carrots.

Dinner, if I'm by myself or not in the mood for cooking, would be a smoothie with almond milk plus 1/2 banana, some spinach and whatever else I have on hand.

Snacks are usually some sort of multigrain chips with hummus or a yogurt. Favorite brand is Lavva--I think it's supposed to be low in sugar and it is dairy free.

Last edited by in_newengland; 06-24-2019 at 01:39 PM..

Old 06-24-2019, 06:16 PM

3,992 posts, read 1,806,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
Big salad with broccoli, cauliflower and Walden Farms dressing. I use a whole head of Romaine letttuce... 100 calories.
This is where the filler-uppers come in. I throw several cut up hard boiled eggs on top. A hard boiled egg is 80 calories.
I eat a lot of salads, too. Each one is about 400 calories.
I was about out of Walden Farms French, so I was going to pick some up when I was getting my Cheap Chicken.
They had every flavor but French! I had to pick out a different flavor and I've never had the Raspberry Vinagrette.
It's really good! Now I have two that I like.

Old 06-24-2019, 06:55 PM

2,972 posts, read 1,008,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
I was about out of Walden Farms French, so I was going to pick some up when I was getting my Cheap Chicken.
They had every flavor but French! I had to pick out a different flavor and I've never had the Raspberry Vinagrette.
It's really good! Now I have two that I like.
I like the Brianna's Real French Vinaigrette. With baguette and salad. I know the baguette is high carb, so not too much or too often. Glass of white wine. But I shouldn't have that, either.

What is life without a little wine and fresh flowers.

My (new) phone just went off, loudly, warning of flash floods. Glug. Glug.

what are your go-to meals-8-3-large.jpg

This is kind of a mean thing to post on a diet/weight loss forum, but there are relatively few obese French people. That is because instead of eating volumns of, say, bread, they only might have a few bites of their delicious bread. American bread can be tasteless.

There is an extremely funny essay, I think by Henry Miller, about American bread.

Last edited by KaraZetterberg153; 06-24-2019 at 07:11 PM..

Old 06-24-2019, 07:42 PM

5,355 posts, read 6,437,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
I like the Brianna's Real French Vinaigrette. With baguette and salad. I know the baguette is high carb, so not too much or too often. Glass of white wine. But I shouldn't have that, either.

What is life without a little wine and fresh flowers.

My (new) phone just went off, loudly, warning of flash floods. Glug. Glug.

Attachment 212173

This is kind of a mean thing to post on a diet/weight loss forum, but there are relatively few obese French people. That is because instead of eating volumns of, say, bread, they only might have a few bites of their delicious bread. American bread can be tasteless.

There is an extremely funny essay, I think by Henry Miller, about American bread.
The best bread in the world is Sourdough bread from San Francisco. And if you are lucky enough to live someplace where there are local bakers the bread is fabulous. We have a bunch of them here. Supermarket bread is usually garbage.

The French eat more bread than you might think. Breakfast is usually a croissant or some sort of bun. Lunch a sandwich on a baguette.
And dont forget the Italians who not only eat bread but pasta too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss