Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2020, 08:01 AM

1,173 posts, read 2,263,899 times

Advertisements

Amisi,

I totally agree with you that losing weight for women after 50 is a whole new ballgame. I lost 55 pounds in my early 40s and have kept them off for 15 years now (I'm 56).

Also, unless you work out like an elite athlete, you can't lose that way. It comes down to food.

When is your surgery (meaning, how many months do you have)?

W.

Last edited by Alicia64; 10-07-2020 at 08:02 AM.. Reason: terrible spelling!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2020, 11:54 AM

1,173 posts, read 2,263,899 times
Amisi,

Try this woman who is over 50: TheInspiredEater.com.

A.

Old 10-13-2020, 08:40 AM

1,974 posts, read 1,101,925 times
Agree with ukrkoz, to lose weight you need to burn more calories than you take in.

But you cant over do it, if you burn way more calories than you take in, your body thinks you are trying to starve it so it slows the metabolism way down.

If you are going to exercise, and highly recommend that you do, you probably need to eat more.

Old 10-14-2020, 12:19 AM

2 posts, read 1,995 times
Default Why You are not loosing weight

When you lose weight, your body fights back.

You may be able to lose quite a lot of weight at first, without much effort. However, weight loss may slow down or stop altogether after a while.

This article lists common reasons why you’re not losing weight.

It also contains actionable tips on how to break through the plateau and get things moving again.

1. Maybe You Are Losing Without Realizing It
If you think you are experiencing a weight loss plateau, you shouldn’t fret just yet.

It is incredibly common for the scale not to budge for a few days (or weeks) at a time. This does not mean that you are not losing fat.

Body weight tends to fluctuate by a few pounds. It depends on the foods you are eating, and hormones can also have a major effect on how much water your body retains (especially in women).

Also, it is possible to gain muscle at the same time as you lose fat. This is particularly common if you recently started exercising.

This is a good thing, as what you really want to lose is body fat, not just weight.

It is a good idea to use something other than the scale to gauge your progress. For example, measure your waist circumference and body fat percentage once per month.

Also, how well your clothes fit and how you look in the mirror can be very telling.

Unless your weight has been stuck at the same point for more than 1–2 weeks, you probably don’t need to worry about anything.

2. You’re Not Eating Enough Protein
Protein is the single most important nutrient for losing weight.

Eating protein at 25–30% of calories can boost metabolism by 80–100 calories per day and make you automatically eat several hundred fewer calories per day. It can also drastically reduce cravings and desire for snacking.

This is partly mediated by protein’s effects on appetite-regulating hormones, such as ghrelin and others.

If you eat breakfast, be sure to load up on protein. Studies show that those who eat a high-protein breakfast are less hungry and have fewer cravings throughout the day.

A high protein intake also helps prevent metabolic slowdown, a common side effect of losing weight. Additionally, it helps prevent weight regain.

3. You’re Not Lifting Weights
One of the most important things you can do when losing weight is to do some form of resistance training, such as lifting weights.

This can help you maintain muscle mass, which is often burned along with body fat if you are not exercising.

Lifting weights can also help prevent metabolic slowdown and ensure that your body stays toned and muscular.

[Mod edit: link to the article. https://performnow.org/tips/2018/10/...-losing-weight

Last edited by elnina; 10-18-2020 at 04:32 PM..

Old 10-14-2020, 07:02 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,304,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
1. you are reducing intake of the most energy efficient nutrient - carbs. You are, actually, harming your organism.
2. your organism, exhausted by lack of proper nutrient and exercise, lowers metabolism and starts storing energy reserves. Just in case, Central Committee, in form of YOU, decides to deprive it out of nutrients more.
That's as simple as it is.

Remember one thing. When you exercise, CARBS are used first. And, for majority of energy demand. Only after carb resources are depleted, organism starts taking from fats. It's about 75 to 25 ratio, carbs to fat, as energy supply.
Sure, stay away from sugars. Sugars and ferinascious foods. Dough. Any of them. But, have good, easy to digest carbs.

Also, start reducing your portions.

You under nutrient your body and you over tax it with energy demand, if you really exercise. Hence, it fights you back.
To add to this, "carbs" are the fashionable scapegoat of the day because most "carbs" that people buy in stores are overpriced processed junk with almost anything in them except actual carbohydrates, and certain purveyors want to push you into some other overpriced junk-laden processed diet like "paleo", "vegan", "keto", whatever.

Here is a trustworthy saying: eat as little as possible the highest quality foods possible.

That includes carbohydrates, real carbohydrates, you know, the stuff that your body is made of, but stay away from overpriced, processed, junk-laden "carbs", "vegan", "paleo", "keto" and all the other fads.

Whatever it is, if you do not prepare it yourself with your own hands, be suspicious.

Only you know what combination of high quality foods is right for you.

If you have a specific metabolic or other medical issue that may require the aid of professional advice and care, then consult a doctor and/or nutritionist ... good luck in finding good ones.

All the best!

Old 10-14-2020, 07:25 AM

1,225 posts, read 2,420,153 times
Dont worry so much about your macros and just watch your portion sizes and increase protein.
Make sure to combine cardio and weight training and figure out your TDEE.

Old 10-15-2020, 05:19 AM

43 posts, read 34,573 times
Working out for 6 times in a week wow. I can't even imagine it.In any case, only proper nutrition and training will help you achieve results. You have to eat enough, monitor the balance of proteins, carbs and fat.
Your workouts may not be helping due to unhealthy nutrition, because as you know, it means even more than exercises. Because you want to not only lose weight, but also gain muscle, pay attention to what you do and what you eat.
It's best to consult with a doctor. You can do this!

Old 10-17-2020, 10:05 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,424,435 times
You can't outrun the fork. Exercise is great and healthy, but it alone will not really promote weight loss. Youo need to check your diet as well.

The weight gain may very well be muscle, which is a good thing. Here's a couple good articles.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...304_story.html

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...se-weight-loss

Old 10-18-2020, 08:43 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,375,370 times
Maybe exercise more? Slightly heavier weights?

I'm not concerned anymore about the numbers I see on the scale!
I'm fitting into jeans I haven't worn. That's my way of telling now and feeling stronger, big time.

(Oh, purchasing the Total Gym changed everything for me...I don't have stock in them!!!!)

Last edited by Miss Hepburn; 10-18-2020 at 09:41 AM..

Old 10-18-2020, 03:18 PM

7,724 posts, read 12,618,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
Low carb.

An egg in the morning and a protein drink (low fat, low carb, no sugar)

Fruits --- berries and an orange every day

small dinner .

trying my best to stay away from carbs and sugars (my addictions)

I get that diet is just as important as exercise but I don't understand how I am GAINING weight!! Frustrated beyond words!! I actually cried today !!!
Diet and weight loss aren't the only things people need to lose when developing a new lifestyle. If you're one of those people that has a self-deprecating view and makes cavalier jokes about your weight and body, you are manifesting that. Does "I can gain 10 lbs just by looking at a slice of cheesecake!" sound familiar? Well stop it. Speak over your body. Speak weight loss. Speak health. "I'm in the best shape of my life", "I've lost tons of weights", "I'm slim and beautiful". Your body is forced to become that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss