Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2021, 11:08 AM

3,834 posts, read 4,439,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
He eats good fats like olive oil and occasionally butter and cheese, Peanut butter. He eats beef and pork, salmon., chicken, liver ect...
Yeah I agree with the others. You need to up his fats considerably. The fats is what will make him satiated (aka full) and not hungry later on. I will now eat a whole avocado in my meal, depending on what it is. Using avocado oil and olive oil to cook is also great as you are doing. The fats is the key to keeping him on track.

Also with the carbs, there are variety of things you can now use
Zoodles (basically zucchini cut into noodle like strips)
Butternut squash is pretty good
you know already about cauliflower rice and the one that's like mashed potatoes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2021, 12:44 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
I am adamantly against omission diets, unless it is for allergic or actual medical conditions (like crohn's).

I am whole foods, mostly plants, add as many different types as possible, use lots of spices and herbs.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-05-2021, 08:47 AM

5,517 posts, read 2,403,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
That really isn't true. There are plenty of people who do the carnivore diet and are just fine. That means, meat 24-7. Not only do they not get scurvy... they usually have a lot of improvements.

Leading to the question of how.. perhaps our RDAs are incorrect. Perhaps scurvy was caused by what the people were eating in the early studies and not lack of vitamin C.

Make no mistake, increasing studies are showing we are not supposed to be eating carbs and sugar an it is killing us. The proper human diet is Keto. We should be eating it forever more.
Makes baseless false claims, provides no studies or data to back up their claims.

Old 03-05-2021, 08:52 AM

5,517 posts, read 2,403,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
I would disagree with you here on the bolded portion.
I think Keto CAN be done long term. The problem is that there are so many different variations of keto and each one pushes different ways of eating, especially if you look on Youtube.

I personally prefer Dr. Eric Berg's type of Keto. Moderate protein, lots of healthy fats, and perhaps most crucially to this conversation, he is one of the few Keto guys who insists that you also eat lots of green vegetables and salads. He recommends eating up to 7 cups of it every day.

I feel this is a bit of a more balanced diet, as you DO get carbs (along with their benefits) on his plan, just not the sugar spiking carbs like white rice, potatoes, waffles, cookies etc.

The other thing with Keto is that it is almost designed to go hand in hand with intermittent fasting, so if you are doing one without the other, I think you are not going to get the full benefits of it. I'm down to eating one meal a day, without any loss in energy, able to workout in a fasted state as well as work a full day on the job.
You take advice from a guy that claims that it’s carbs and carbs alone that cause obesity? Nothing you are doing Keto and Intermittent fasting is superior to a non-ketogenic/non timed way of eating. But if it works for you then great.

Old 03-05-2021, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
You take advice from a guy that claims that it’s carbs and carbs alone that cause obesity? Nothing you are doing Keto and Intermittent fasting is superior to a non-ketogenic/non timed way of eating. But if it works for you then great.
As I sit here and eat a bowl of hot cereal with steel cut oats, flax, barley, millet, and bulgur.

Old 03-05-2021, 12:23 PM

13,062 posts, read 7,500,158 times
clear broth soups. Pho seasonings, boullion and other soup bases are in our local Kroger-FredMeyer stores. I throw in some meat, poultry, fish & other proteins, vegetables on hand mostly broccoli, frozen green beans, napa cabbage, kale. Also a 1/2 package of ramen (it's the fry oil that has all the calories), other noodles (buckwheat is good), or boiled/steamed whole barley. Try to avoid the wheat noodles because of the gluten (ramen is low gluten).

Old 03-05-2021, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
clear broth soups. Pho seasonings, boullion and other soup bases are in our local Kroger-FredMeyer stores. I throw in some meat, poultry, fish & other proteins, vegetables on hand mostly broccoli, frozen green beans, napa cabbage, kale. Also a 1/2 package of ramen (it's the fry oil that has all the calories), other noodles (buckwheat is good), or boiled/steamed whole barley. Try to avoid the wheat noodles because of the gluten (ramen is low gluten).
Ramen noodles are made with wheat, thus they have the normal amount of gluten as standard pasta. Rice noodles, which are not in ramen, are gluten free, but again, high carb no fiber.

A serving has around 27 grams of carbs, not sure if that would qualify for his low carb diet.

Old 03-05-2021, 12:37 PM

2,176 posts, read 1,322,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
He's not being starved of carbs. He eats some but not many. His BS levels are very low, in fact too low. 73 this morning. He has to get Blood work done to see what his A1C is. He might be able to get off of some of his diabetic meds.
If he is on diabetic meds- that could be his cravings problem.
The current dose could be too much for him due to his new weight loss and low carb diet.
He may not need the meds anymore or needs the dose adjustment

Most people misunderstand what the low carb diet purpose is.
One suppose to find an optimal range of carbs for that person where he can use it without gaining any weight after excessive weight is lost.
The diet ideally needs to be varied with carbs, fats, protein included unless a person has some metabolic diseases limiting his choices

You can’t just piled up on protein or fats- calories in- calories out: in the absence of carbs- the body will be breaking down the protein and fat into glucose - the fuel the body uses most efficiently .
https://www.verywellfit.com/gluconeogenesis-2242007
The body can use ketones instead of glucose, but very few people can manage on high fat diet for ketosis. Be aware of the harm of vegetable oils, including olive.

Protein is much more palatable- hence excessive consumption sometimes which may take you out of ketosis.

Last edited by Nik4me; 03-05-2021 at 12:56 PM..

Old 03-05-2021, 01:50 PM

13,062 posts, read 7,500,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Ramen noodles are made with wheat, thus they have the normal amount of gluten as standard pasta. Rice noodles, which are not in ramen, are gluten free, but again, high carb no fiber.

A serving has around 27 grams of carbs, not sure if that would qualify for his low carb diet.
its a measured amount for me and with the other soup stuff, generally is enough.
It is tough. Fruits are my bane, and I will never give up fruits-Did that once, and never again.

Old 03-05-2021, 06:53 PM

22,654 posts, read 24,581,931 times
Carb-cycling works for some people who like to do strict low-carb, but also get a break and eat some carbs. If low-carb is getting a little old and worn, it may be worth a try.

My, I tried carb-cycling, worked great except for the fact that I would get a splitting headache about 24 to 48 hours after eating the carbs, then cycling back to very low-carb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss