Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2021, 02:39 AM

1,060 posts, read 406,057 times

Advertisements

I have yo yo dieted many times, and I am at 5'6, 215 for years. Everytime I dieted I feel awful, I just wanted to think about food and once I reached my goal, I went back to my bad habits and gained all the weight back.

Just last week there was a sale on soda, it has caffeine. I drank like 5 cans and I didn't feel hungry at all for at least 6 hours. I checked online and caffeine helps with suppressing appetite, and to not go over 400 mg per day. I just researched and switched over to green tea since it has less calories and sugar, and I can honestly say I eat about 70% less food than before for a whole day, is this a good way to lose weight or is it unhealthy? My plan is to drink 5 cups of green tea throughout the day. If I can get myself healthier and at least to a better bmi, I'm for it. When I drink stuff with Caffeine, I don't have any cravings for food, which is a good thing.

I have back pain, joint pain, so it's hard to exercise, but I do try and walk half a mile everyday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2021, 08:06 AM

22,572 posts, read 24,369,327 times
Yeah, caffeine can be somewhat helpful with weight-loss.

It sounds like you biggest issue is an addiction to eating too much food. Tackling that problem, will be exponentially more beneficial, than supplementing with caffeine to lose weight.

Old 07-31-2021, 05:13 AM

1,060 posts, read 406,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Yeah, caffeine can be somewhat helpful with weight-loss.

It sounds like you biggest issue is an addiction to eating too much food. Tackling that problem, will be exponentially more beneficial, than supplementing with caffeine to lose weight.
I've tried to eat smaller portions or eat healthier in the past. I would just mentally suffer in the long run. So far drinking stuff with caffeine really takes out my appetite. It works but I'm not sure if it works for the long run, but I really need to be at a healthier weight at this moment.

According to the bmi chart, at 155, I would start to be at the healthy weight. Even at that, that's 60 pounds away. I'm not looking at that as a benchmark, but even if I lose 20 pounds it's better than nothing. I believe I can stick to this, it's sustainable for the past week and I don't feel like I'm depriving myself of anything.

Last edited by accord2008; 07-31-2021 at 05:24 AM..

Old 07-31-2021, 06:21 AM

22,572 posts, read 24,369,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accord2008 View Post
I've tried to eat smaller portions or eat healthier in the past. I would just mentally suffer in the long run. So far drinking stuff with caffeine really takes out my appetite. It works but I'm not sure if it works for the long run, but I really need to be at a healthier weight at this moment.

According to the bmi chart, at 155, I would start to be at the healthy weight. Even at that, that's 60 pounds away. I'm not looking at that as a benchmark, but even if I lose 20 pounds it's better than nothing. I believe I can stick to this, it's sustainable for the past week and I don't feel like I'm depriving myself of anything.

Overeating and binge-eating are addictive. The longer you have done it, the harder it is when you try to stop.

Old 08-20-2021, 07:26 AM

164 posts, read 125,750 times
Quote:
I have yo yo dieted many times, and I am at 5'6, 215 for years. Everytime I dieted I feel awful, I just wanted to think about food and once I reached my goal, I went back to my bad habits and gained all the weight back.

Just last week there was a sale on soda, it has caffeine. I drank like 5 cans and I didn't feel hungry at all for at least 6 hours. I checked online and caffeine helps with suppressing appetite, and to not go over 400 mg per day. I just researched and switched over to green tea since it has less calories and sugar, and I can honestly say I eat about 70% less food than before for a whole day, is this a good way to lose weight or is it unhealthy? My plan is to drink 5 cups of green tea throughout the day. If I can get myself healthier and at least to a better bmi, I'm for it. When I drink stuff with Caffeine, I don't have any cravings for food, which is a good thing.

I have back pain, joint pain, so it's hard to exercise, but I do try and walk half a mile everyday.

Hi,

Some studies said caffeine may reduce feelings of hunger and desire time to eat. Green tea is helpful in digestion and boosts metabolism which may help to reduce lose weight.

Thanks

Old 08-20-2021, 07:37 AM

7,201 posts, read 4,469,690 times
My only thought it is that it is counter productive.

Caffine increases cortisol and cortisol inhibits weight loss.

Old 08-22-2021, 04:05 PM

575 posts, read 335,666 times
Caffeine for me triggers hunger instantly because my heart rate goes up.

Your mileage may vary but for me using caffeine wouldn't work.

On another hand, drinking six cans, of presumably, 40g of sugar per can just might not counter the calories of the meal you skipped.
Unless, of course, we're talking about a meal in the category of "My 600 pound life"...

Old 09-02-2021, 12:45 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,871,532 times
I sure wouldn't drink soda; it's really bad for you, whether it's sugar or diet. Caffeine (in coffee) in the morning helps with preventing Alzheimer's, but only two cups in the morning and none during the day because it might affect sleep. I like cold coffee or if I drink it hot, with Truvia and unsweetened almond milk. No sugar!

If you like fizzy (I do, and it settles the stomach) try Perrier mineral water. This will not break your fast if you're fasting, or cause weight gain. Drinking stuff in cans is just the worst. The Perrier comes in plastic bottles.

Old 11-28-2021, 12:15 PM

11 posts, read 11,410 times
I wouldn't use caffeine for weight loss because it is not very healthy. Is the goal to look good or to feel good? Feeling good is much more important and caffeine over time wont make you feel good if your using it as a meal replacement

Old 03-22-2022, 11:23 AM

75 posts, read 64,802 times
Quote:

Green tea is rich in polyphenols (plant compounds with health benefits). I can see how it would help with appetite. So as long the caffeine doesn't bother you, I could see this helping.

Are you still doing the green tea? If so, how has it been working for you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss