Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2021, 09:02 AM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
Refined carbs (aka simple carbs) are what you want to avoid. This mostly consists of products made from refined grains and refined sugars.

Refined carbs promote overeating because they cause spikes and crashes in blood sugar levels. You are hungry again an hour or so later when your glucose level crashes. Refined grains have been stripped of most fiber, vitamins and minerals. They are empty calories.

You can eat real and natural whole grains (complex carbs), not processed products made from refined whole grains and sugars like a supermarket loaf of bread, cakes, pastries, white rice, pasta, breakfast cereals, flavored yogurt, soda, etc. (simple carbs).

Avoid ultra and highly processed foods. They are foods that are unrecognizable as food in nature. Eat foods that you would recognize in nature. Whole foods, unprocessed or minimally processed that only contain culinary ingredients.
I love potatoes and they are quite recognizable as a natural food grown in a garden. But I have to limit them because, alas, they spike my blood sugar leading to hunger pangs as surely as a Kit Kat bar does.

Same deal with rice, figs, mangoes, bananas.

I do better with low sugar fruits like berries and low carb vegetables like broccoli, kale, spinach, brussels sprouts.

I am not diabetic but I have a predisposition for developing diabetes so I have to be careful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2021, 10:13 AM

3,373 posts, read 1,962,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
Yep you need to go tell the food processing and fast food industry they can fire their marketing people and pull all their commercials cause its all individual choice made by cool logical reasoning..... LOL

Cheap, sweet, and heavily advertised..... SELLS!
It only sells to those willing to buy. We all see the same ads and we all have the ability to decide for ourselves what to buy.

Old 11-02-2021, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfomd129 View Post
It only sells to those willing to buy. We all see the same ads and we all have the ability to decide for ourselves what to buy.
This exactly. We all decide what goes into our own mouths.

Old 11-02-2021, 04:49 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,017,880 times
Being fat is not 100% your fault. There are a lot of reasons that contribute to our obesity epidemic, here are a few that come to mind.

- Federal Agricultural spending subsidizes corn that is used to fatten cattle, hogs and poultry. Eating red meat is not good for us, so I greatly limit my intake. When I want protein I reach for black beans which have protein, fiber and all 9 of the essential amino acids found in beef.

- There are no federal subsidies for healthy vegetables and fruits which puts them at a competitive disadvantage to the junk sold in fast food outlets.

- Low income persons in both urban and rural populations are priced out of healthy food choices.

- Most inner city and rural stores have a poor selection of healthy foods. The proliferation of dollar stores sell mostly garbage.

- Food manufactures load up products with sugar, salt and fat since all of these are, at least dietetically, addictive; you can't eat just one potato chip.

- Grocery stores put the junk at eye level so it's easy to reach. Healthy food is often on the bottom shelf or in short supply. There are entire aisles of sugary drinks and fat / salty snacks.

- Few doctors have much education in nutrition, so they say idiotic things like "push yourself away from the table."

- Poor educations in both urban and rural populations creates tens of millions of people who are poorly versed in nutritional issues.

Other than that we're doing just fine. /s
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-03-2021, 07:48 AM

^^^I have to disagree with you Mike. I've been in plenty of Dollar type stores and they all have a frozen foods section with frozen vegetables and usually frozen fruits. Most also have a section of fresh fruits and vegetables too. Canned vegetables, although not ideal, are still an option and of course you have a selection of beans and usually pasta, tomato puree and rice. You can make a nice healthy meal out of those ingredients as long as you remember portion control.

Having unhealthy food at eye level makes it sound like low income shoppers don't have the capacity to think for themselves and look up and down the shelves. I give them more credit than that. I do agree that there is sometimes a lack of knowledge about the nutritional value of different foods and its importance for overall health, but just about everyone has a phone or the ability to look up healthy eating choices and educate themselves ... if they want to.

Old 11-03-2021, 08:23 AM

3,121 posts, read 2,063,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I love potatoes and they are quite recognizable as a natural food grown in a garden. But I have to limit them because, alas, they spike my blood sugar leading to hunger pangs as surely as a Kit Kat bar does.

Same deal with rice, figs, mangoes, bananas.

I do better with low sugar fruits like berries and low carb vegetables like broccoli, kale, spinach, brussels sprouts.

I am not diabetic but I have a predisposition for developing diabetes so I have to be careful.
Potatoes are digested faster than other complex carbs which can cause a spike. Eating the whole potato with skin and mixing them with protein and fats slows digestion thereby lowering glycemic index and glycemic load. A balanced diet is important to ensure one doesn't eat too much of one food or too often. It's up to the individual to determine which complex carbs can work for them, as you have.

Refined (simple) carbs promote overeating of more simple carbs with empty calories which leads to weight problems.

Old 11-03-2021, 08:25 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,551,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
Once again regurgitating the same misinformation with no sources to back up your false claims. Overconsumption of food is what makes you fat and sick. Not any individual macronutrient.

Ketogenic diet is NOT superior to calorie/protein equated, there are over 30+ studies including this one that show that compare ketogenic to non-ketogenic in TIGHTLY controlled settings and see NO DIFFERENCE IN FAT LOSS.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC333231/

FYI you can have the fat fly off eating nothing but CARBS. But some people want you to think that CARBS are evil. This is how food disorders develop.
I eat tons of whole grains, 0% come from modern wheat. There is a big difference eating a vast majority of your grain consumption from modern wheat containing food products.

Old 11-03-2021, 08:27 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,650,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfomd129 View Post

So if nobody is swayed by advertising, somebody is wasting lot of their money on ads. LOL The ads arent just saying hey I exist as a choice on market shelf with cheapened subsidized ingredients to save you money, they are telling you how wonderfully delicious and healthy they are, even when they arent. Mommy, I want a happy meal.. Mommy I want a happy meal... Mommy, I want a happy meal.... LOL

No hurdles to overcome at all, easy to ignore the hype and have your meals flown in from four star restaurant in France on your private jet....

Old 11-03-2021, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
So if nobody is swayed by advertising, somebody is wasting lot of their money on ads. LOL The ads arent just saying hey I exist as a choice on market shelf with cheapened subsidized ingredients to save you money, they are telling you how wonderfully delicious and healthy they are, even when they arent. Mommy, I want a happy meal.. Mommy I want a happy meal... Mommy, I want a happy meal.... LOL

No hurdles to overcome at all, easy to ignore the hype and have your meals flown in from four star restaurant in France on your private jet....
That's not what I'm saying at all. Of course advertising works and works well in many cases but ultimately the decisions regarding what we buy are up to the individual. Commercials for Big Macs don't mean a thing to me and when my kids were young, the surest way for them NOT to get something was to whine about wanting it.

Old 11-03-2021, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Being fat is not 100% your fault. There are a lot of reasons that contribute to our obesity epidemic, here are a few that come to mind.

- Federal Agricultural spending subsidizes corn that is used to fatten cattle, hogs and poultry. Eating red meat is not good for us, so I greatly limit my intake. When I want protein I reach for black beans which have protein, fiber and all 9 of the essential amino acids found in beef.

- There are no federal subsidies for healthy vegetables and fruits which puts them at a competitive disadvantage to the junk sold in fast food outlets.

- Low income persons in both urban and rural populations are priced out of healthy food choices.

- Most inner city and rural stores have a poor selection of healthy foods. The proliferation of dollar stores sell mostly garbage.

- Food manufactures load up products with sugar, salt and fat since all of these are, at least dietetically, addictive; you can't eat just one potato chip.

- Grocery stores put the junk at eye level so it's easy to reach. Healthy food is often on the bottom shelf or in short supply. There are entire aisles of sugary drinks and fat / salty snacks.

- Few doctors have much education in nutrition, so they say idiotic things like "push yourself away from the table."

- Poor educations in both urban and rural populations creates tens of millions of people who are poorly versed in nutritional issues.

Other than that we're doing just fine. /s
You can go into a gas station and choose between a candy bar, a bag of chips or a package of unsalted peanuts. Which do you choose?

I would choose the peanuts every time. I don't need Circle K to protect me from myself. If you can afford a Twinkie, you can afford an apple. Just saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss