Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2022, 10:42 AM

9,909 posts, read 7,691,289 times

Advertisements

Hi, starting to make changes to lose weight. Haven't exercised in a few months and years ago use to be an avid runner.

I have started eating more veggies. Cutting out fast food. Sweets are slowly being cut out. Cutting soda out of my life and drinking water.

Just did a sleep study and waiting for the CPAP to come in.

My question is I normally can sleep till 5/6 in the morning then start the day. Go to bed at 11.

Heard arguments best to sleep an extra hour than get up an hour earlier.

Do you think this is true or do you feel that an hour of exercise is more beneficial than an hour of sleep?

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2022, 11:53 AM

3,429 posts, read 2,396,448 times
Why does it have to be one or the other? You're getting between 6 and 7 hours of sleep every night. That means you're awake between 17 and 18 hours every day. You can do squats while you brush your teeth in the morning. Sure, that's just 2 minutes, but it's good for your core even if it doesn't burn calories.

While you're sitting down eating your breakfast or having your morning cup of coffee, you can do leg lifts. Good for your butt, upper thighs, and posture.

At some point during the day, you'll get 15 minutes of time to yourself that doesn't involve eating. Use that time to break a sweat.

At some point during the evening you'll get 15 minutes of time to yourself that doesn't involve eating. Use THAT time to break a sweat again.

Old 03-24-2022, 01:57 PM

75 posts, read 65,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
Why does it have to be one or the other?
This is good point: You don’t have to pick one or the other. You could do both.

Find a way to get another hour (or more) of sleep and see what happens. From personal experience, on days I don’t get enough sleep I crave more unhealthy foods and am more likely to overeat in general. Some research shows that hormones like leptin, ghrelin and insulin get disrupted with poor sleep quality. And these are directly connected to regulating blood sugar, hunger, fullness and fat storage. All this can add up over time.

Old 04-09-2022, 06:21 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,666,970 times
It depends on how much sleep you are getting in the first place. If you normally sleep 11-7, then you probably don’t need that extra hour. If you are already waking up at 5, moving the wake up time to 4 is going to leave you with 5 hours of sleep. That is not enough time to rest and recover from any exercise you do. I usually aim for around 7 hours of sleep a night.

You don’t necessarily need a full hour of exercise during the day. Just try to fit it in when you can. Sometimes all I do is a short 15-20 minute YouTube or Apple Fitness workout or a 30-minute lunch walk (AF is included with gym membership). On other days, I do more. Today I’m going to a 45-minute Pilates class followed by a group walk/festival outing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss