Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 10:39 AM

155 posts, read 132,576 times

Advertisements

I am a healthy middle aged male. A few pounds over weight, but carry it well and I am in far better health than the average male my age ( social drinker - non smoker )

My food in take is very regimented as I eat a rotation of basically the same / similar items over the span of any given 30 day sampling period. Not a junk food eater and I definitely DO NOT have a sweet tooth. I drink mostly water everyday.

My one concern is this ... I have heard all the hype thru the years as to how breakfast is the most important meal of the day, yada yada yada ......

Well I eat a healthy and satisfying breakfast everyday, I just usually do not eat it until 10am - 12 noon. And I rarely eat or snack on anything after 8-9pm in the evening. So basically I am fasting 12 hours everyday.

I rarely consume 3 square meals a day. Usually 2 main meals and a snack of some sort somewhere in between. My breakfast is almost always 10-11am or so and will consist of 2-3 eggs / maybe an omelet and always a few pieces of bacon or sausage. Not a bread eater here. So no toast or dinner rolls or sandwiches on bread etc etc ..

My dinners are typically late afternoon / early evening around 5-6-7pm. Healthy meals of a meat group ( almost always chicken or fish ) and a veggie side. Usually a spinach salad also.

I do not track calories or other dieting numbers, I eat a normal portion. Sometimes it makes me feel full - other times not so much.

Is it a good idea to fast that long of a period every night ? I just do not feel hungry in the mornings until I have been up for 3-4 hours and I burn off my morning couple cups of coffee. I have heard eating breakfast jump starts your metabolism and such ... I understand what that says, although not exactly sure what it means or how it applies to me.

My early morning is pretty non active so I am not burning a bunch of calories and have no need for a bunch of energy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2018, 12:22 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,475,528 times
Intermittent fasting has many health benefits, weight loss is one of them.

Eating in general DOES NOT promote weight loss, it is the opposite of that and I won't go too much into the science of it right now.

Eating high carb foods such as many breakfast foods, raises blood sugar which in turn increases insulin which promotes weight GAIN. Insulin is the fat storage hormone.

The part about the breakfast jump starting your metabolism is a myth. If you are hungry then eat but if you are not hungry don't eat. That should be the rule of thumb.

As for intermittent fasting, it is the period of time that you don't eat which is the most beneficial. There are easy forms of IF such as the 16/8 schedule. That is 16 hours of fasting and 8 hours of an eating window. For example, you can eat from 12 noon to 8pm or from 10am to 6pm. The rest of the time you do not eat. I happen to do the 20/4 schedule. I fast for 20 and eat a meal with snacks within 4 hours. I also couple that with Keto and it works well for not only weight loss and maintenance but health in general. Do not buy into the hype of many small meals per day. That does not work for most people unless you exercise all day long.

Old 01-22-2018, 12:29 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,977,890 times
Lots of people eat dinner at 6 p.m. and breakfast at 6 a.m., which is 12 hours fasting. Seems normal to me.

My normal fasting period is 14 hours.

Old 01-22-2018, 02:02 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,491,332 times
I think it is normal. It's only been recently that we started making snacks and easy fast food either from the drive up or premade in the freezer or refrigerator that we grab after dinner.

Before refrigeration and even before the pre-made convenience food craze, people didn't often eat after dinner. They had to make their own cookies and pies, so they often didn't have any on hand since they couldn't just run to the store and buy some.

I fast 16 hours each night usually. I have coffee when I wake up and I often drink my apple cider vinegar in some tea in the morning.

Then I have fruit and/or nuts for a late morning snack. Then eat lunch, an afternoon snack, and dinner. That's it. No snacking in the evening. I feel pretty good.

Old 01-25-2018, 12:05 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,283,966 times
^ What does the apple cider vinegar do?

Old 01-25-2018, 12:44 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,077,083 times
Seems like a typical eating schedule actually, give or take.

I fast 18 hours. I noticed that was normally how I ate anyway, but once I realized it I started becoming more focused on sticking to it and it helped me cut way back on any small snacking

Old 01-25-2018, 12:55 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,491,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebNashua View Post
^ What does the apple cider vinegar do?
I use the raw unfiltered stuff so it adds good bugs to my digestive tract. Plus it helps a lot with water retention. I only use a couple teaspoons in cold tea (hot tea could kill the bugs) for the water retention issue. I'm not sure if that amount does much for repopulation but I like to think it does.

Old 01-25-2018, 01:07 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
I eat my last food about 5PM and don't eat again until 9:30AM give or take. So that's about 16 hrs without foods... So if that's a fast, then that's mine.

Old 01-25-2018, 01:12 PM

419 posts, read 387,753 times
I fast for 14 hours at night. It gives the body a chance to repair plus keeps the weight off. A study came out in 2016 that said that those who fasted for less than 13 hours per night had a 36% higher risk of breast cancer recurrence than those who fasted more. Since I battled this beast several years ago, it makes sense for me to do whatever I can to keep it from returning. A bonus is that stopping eating at 6pm helps me sleep better because I don't feel full.

Old 01-27-2018, 10:46 AM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
My last meal ends between 3 to 5 pm...........then breakfast is from 7 to 9 am the next day.

I do this every day. This works out very well, by the time breakfast rolls around, I am very ready to eat. I eat 3 meals a day and nothing else.

People who are not hungry in the morning, many times eat too late and/or eat a really large dinner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss