Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 11:16 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,223,164 times

Advertisements

I think it depends on where you are. I'm a male, 5'9" and 160 lbs., right where I should be. Where I live, people are overwhelmingly fit and in shape. Last year I was in Dallas for work and I went out to dinner with several Texans from our office there at a Brazillian barbeque restaurant. They made fun of me because all I ate was the salad bar, telling me I needed to "be a man" and put some meat on my bones (they were all at least a little overweight, if not a lot) And then while visiting a good friend of mine who's morbidly obese, I went out to eat with her and her children, who have also become obese. Her oldest daughter made a little comment about me being "skinny", as if it were a bad thing. Plus I don't consider being at my ideal weight to be "skinny".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 11:24 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
since 1 in 3 americans is obese and 1 in 4 children is obese. its no longer a them thing. not kind to make fun or remarks about peoples health issues and that is what it is, a health issue. this much i can say, americans are not lazy. hardest working people on the planet. many eat to keep going. also mean streets do not produce happy skinny pretty people. many eat to try to be happy, keep their spirits up.

Old 07-29-2008, 12:29 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,223,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
since 1 in 3 americans is obese and 1 in 4 children is obese. its no longer a them thing. not kind to make fun or remarks about peoples health issues and that is what it is, a health issue. this much i can say, americans are not lazy. hardest working people on the planet. many eat to keep going. also mean streets do not produce happy skinny pretty people. many eat to try to be happy, keep their spirits up.
Well, eating to be happy and keep your spirits up means you have the wrong relationship with food, and possibly an addiction problem.

Old 07-29-2008, 01:39 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,257,845 times
You can get the nutrition you need on 700 calories a day. I really think you need to talk to a doctor about all this Kate1. I know you were having bone pains and malnutrition can be a side effect of that. When you already have issue its not helping things.

Im not sure what you are talking about with sugar sky rocketing? If you cant eat over 700 cals a day you are having thyroid issues or are in starvation mode. You need to be on medication. I do hope you talk to your doc about only eating 700 cals a day before your health goes downhill from it. Yes there is an ad at the bottom of the page like most websites.
I dont think you read the article because a "binge" in the article is a normal snack for anyone.("4-5 cookies worth about 500-700 calories")

And stop being angry. Im trying to help you feel better.

Old 07-29-2008, 01:58 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,288,552 times
I see a doctor every 3 months & get blood work done. Thyriod is within normal range. I have to watch my sugar & blood presure. I watch what I eat cause the sugar is borterline high. When I remember to eat spaced meals the range is level 115 to 125. When I forget to the point of feeling hungry the liver [which I cant control] dumps sugar in my system it at times jump to 200. I am not a person that eats a lot or often...2 meals are fine by me.

I cant exercise cause I have arthritis in spine hip & knees. And RA in my hands. I have a siatia nerve problems & bad right arm due to injuries.

Last year I went to the pool 2 days a week for 5 months nothing changed...this year the doctors said they would not waiste gov money. If I want to go then I have to pay...frankly I cant afford to pay.

Old 07-29-2008, 02:13 PM

I hope you change your doctor. I dont like him/her. Sounds like a jerk/quitter.
My father went on diabetic medication and started losing weight right after that. 20 pounds without changing anything at all. Maybe that could be brought up with a doctor. Eating 700 cals a day is just not good for your health. That nerve thing can be a side effect of diabetic issues. My father gets them in his feet a lot.
Like the article said you have to eat more often. Since spreading your meals works for your sugar. Maybe try it sometime by slowly adding 200 cals in ever 2 months.

You dont need to exercise. It just can make it go faster. Dont worry about that now. Worry about eating enough nutritional wise. You need at least 1200 cals.

Old 07-29-2008, 02:17 PM

The nerve was the result of a Horse kick 1986 & broke my arm in 1987 At the time I was borderline Low 60 range

Old 07-30-2008, 09:56 AM

Another example for people thinking being fat makes you sick....... The sickness came
1st then the fat! Now I am not saying that if you get sick you will be fat..I know lots of skinny people that are sick. And you know what I dont think anyone judges them!

Last edited by Katie1; 07-30-2008 at 10:11 AM..

Old 07-30-2008, 02:24 PM

Being heavy doesnt help anything and is a root cause of many illnesses.

Like right now...Your aggression could be due to malnutrition. I hope you stop being so stubborn and dont stop trying to change because just a few methods didnt work.

That medi-fast I think would be a really nice thing for you too because you can buy the stuff to eat and thats nice when you are in a chair. (not having to run around and cook)

Being obese or too thin both bring health problems.

You weight could be a side effect of your illness. Just letting it go isnt a good idea.

Old 07-30-2008, 03:26 PM

Standing & cooking [or sitting near the stove] is one of the few things that get me up even if its 10 to 15 min. Actually I think its funny that you seem to think I am defensive & aggressive when I can hardly keep from laughing. & I do realize you are trying to help. But fad diets & taking drugs are not my thing. I stuck my self Before & After meals & EVERY time I even thought of putting anything in my mouth. Till I figured out how my body reacts to each food...what I can & can not eat determand my blood sugar levels. After 2 months I took my self off the drugs And for another month kept monitoring what I ate. In the end I took EVERYTHING into my dr. I still continue to check my blood once a day just to make sure of any changes esp if I eat new food.
I did the same thing with my bloodpresure..tho not as painful those cuffs still hurt. But I learned what stressed me to raise the BP & how to calm myself to lower it. At this point in Time these things are more important to me than loosing weight. I am drug free except for 1 mild pain pill at night to help me sleep...& I for 1 plan to stay that way. & if you can not except me or any other person as they are then it you I feel sorry for cause 1 day You maybe the fat person. Then where will your friends be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss