Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 08:47 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,612,339 times

Advertisements

Watching this on the CBS Evening news last night about the largest and longest (2 years) Diet study comparing the Low Carb, Low Fat and the Mediterranean Diets as this is being reported by the New England Journal of Medicine and it showed that while all 3 caused weight loss and lowering of cholesterol but that the Low Carb had the biggest weight loss and lowest levels of cholesterol in study subjects.

Study Tips Scales In Atkins Diet's Favor, Low-Carb Regimen Better Than Low-Fat Diet For Weight And Cholesterol, Major Study Shows - CBS News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 01:33 PM

3,131 posts, read 11,644,298 times
i heard them talking about this on good morning america today. dr. tim said that the results after 2 years only showed a couple of pounds of weightloss! even he said, all of the hoopla was out of place. he said that the best way to loose weight is the old fashioned way of counting calories! eat a little bit of everything and keep track of the calories in and calories out!

Old 07-18-2008, 01:33 PM

365 posts, read 1,252,883 times
Yes, Dr. Tim and Nancy Snyderman just were really irked that the Atkins-like diet was more successful for a longer period of time; they just hate the idea that something that is not universally accepted medically could actually work for some people! (They drive me crazy that way.)

However, if you read the study, it says the Atkins-like diet was most successful for men; women had more success with the Mediterranean diet.

Old 07-18-2008, 05:23 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,689,797 times
What I found significant in the report was the part about lower cholesterol. It's always good when one can lower that, even if the pounds come off slower. (And slower loss isn't all that bad either!)

Old 08-26-2012, 06:05 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,158,957 times
I'd say Mediterranean is easiest to stay with, though I had a tendency to over-do the olive oil ...... next Atkins low-carb ..... and lowfat diets are worst of all, they make me ravenously hungry.

Old 08-26-2012, 06:11 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,689,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
I'd say Mediterranean is easiest to stay with, though I had a tendency to over-do the olive oil ...... next Atkins low-carb ..... and lowfat diets are worst of all, they make me ravenously hungry.
Love Mediterranean! That olive oil is so good for us!

However, I seriously started on counting carbs (not necessarily Atkins, but some Atkins recipes and snack bars on occasion) and am losing comfortably. It's the carbs that make the difference, at least for me. My good cholesterol is sky high so no worries about the bad stuff at 200. Doc said "nice going!"

Now that I'm reading the ingredients lists more carefully than ever, I find that low-fat/light foods are higher in carbs than regular foods.

Anybody read "Wheat Belly" ?

Old 08-26-2012, 06:20 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,768,804 times
I'm having fun learning about my own diet. It's:

A little lower carbs than what I'm used to, but not by much.
A little less starch than what I'm used to (most of the "lower carb" is "lower starch" for me).
Slightly higher in protein.
Definitely less fat than what I'm used to.
Significantly more greens/fiber than what I'm used to.

And, I've learned (thanks to city-data) that I -can- include a baked potato (aka nuked, but the result is the same) to my list of foods I can enjoy a couple times a week, as long as I top it with something like steamed broccoli and a _little_ cheddar cheese, and skip the butter.

Old 08-26-2012, 06:25 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,813,688 times
The bottom line is that what works the best is a plan you can stick with....forever.

Old 08-26-2012, 06:37 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,346,114 times
JC, why would anyone resurrected this thread? As if we need another one just like the other one... thousand.

Old 08-26-2012, 06:42 PM

1,047 posts, read 3,988,650 times
What I find such a shame is the fact that SO MANY people have to constantly, for years, try to lose weight!
I don't know, but I'm a 56 year old woman, I basically eat the mediterranean way, eat tons of pasta, bread, and the occasional treat. I have been within a few pounds of the same weight my entire adult life..... How about, eat mostly healthy food, use common sense, get some kind of exercise everyday, and when you're full, shut your pie hole!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss