Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2008, 07:21 PM

96 posts, read 616,628 times

Advertisements

Let me start off by saying on the 4th of July I made my mind up that I was going to commit to a workout program and start eating better to lose weight and get to a weight I desire to be at.

I have a medium build, 6'0 and 220 pounds. I would like to be around 185 or 190. I joined a gym and have been working out at least 3-5 days a week for the past 3 weeks or so and I haven't lost an ounce. I've been walking on the tredmill at a 3.5 mph speed and a 15.0 incline level (as high as it will go, about a 30 degree angle) for 30 minutes and then lifting weights and using various weight equipment for about 30 minutes for a total of about an hour each time I go to the gym to work out. I've been focusing mostly on biceps, triceps, shoulders, and then calves while weight training.

I have cut down significantly on fast food, sodas, and other types of junk food. I never ate a bunch of that stuff anyways but I have cut down from what my prior habits were. I've been drinking a lot more water instead of sodas or even diet sodas. I probably drink around 60-70 ounces of water daily now.

I have some questions:
1) Am I expecting to see results too soon? I'm talking any kind of results. A loss of 4 or 5 pounds, anything. I know this process of losing 30-40 pounds is going to take a few months and isn't going to happen over night but I was expecting to notice a difference by now. I have noticed a slight difference in how some of my pants/shorts fit but it's not much of a difference at all.

2) Is it possible that I'm not seeing any changes in the scale due to I'm losing fat but also building muscle since muscle weighs more than fat? I have been thinking that maybe at first it might work like that until it finally balances out and your weight start to drop once you lose even more fat. Is this a possibility?

3) Are my workouts not intense enough to have any effect? By the time I leave the gym my shirt is completely covered front and back in sweat. I feel like I'm doing quite a bit and I'm getting in there like I said at least 3 sometimes up to 5 days a week.

I have no plans of giving up or anything and I plan to make working out part of my regular routine in my life but I'm basically just wondering if I should be expecting some results after almost a month or if I still have to give it another few weeks before I might start to really notice some results.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 10:24 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,260,210 times
Well no matter what, you are making what you have in better shape and that will help your weight loss. You cant build muscle and lose weight at the same time.

Muscle and fat come from overeating calories for your weight. The difference is that if you overeat and workout you are more likely to gain muscle (especially males) than expand your fat cells.

Since you just started why not just stick to it and workout for now. 220 can look good on 6'0'' if you are in shape. (batman,c.bale - thats around his stats - looks awesome)

If you want to follow a calorie counting guideline google "spark diet"
It can help guide you with calories and workout. They have lots of good info can articles on there too. You can track your progress as well.
Good Luck!

Old 07-29-2008, 03:15 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,455,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureMover08 View Post
Let me start off by saying on the 4th of July I made my mind up that I was going to commit to a workout program and start eating better to lose weight and get to a weight I desire to be at.

I have a medium build, 6'0 and 220 pounds. I would like to be around 185 or 190. I joined a gym and have been working out at least 3-5 days a week for the past 3 weeks or so and I haven't lost an ounce. I've been walking on the tredmill at a 3.5 mph speed and a 15.0 incline level (as high as it will go, about a 30 degree angle) for 30 minutes and then lifting weights and using various weight equipment for about 30 minutes for a total of about an hour each time I go to the gym to work out. I've been focusing mostly on biceps, triceps, shoulders, and then calves while weight training.

I have cut down significantly on fast food, sodas, and other types of junk food. I never ate a bunch of that stuff anyways but I have cut down from what my prior habits were. I've been drinking a lot more water instead of sodas or even diet sodas. I probably drink around 60-70 ounces of water daily now.

I have some questions:
1) Am I expecting to see results too soon? I'm talking any kind of results. A loss of 4 or 5 pounds, anything. I know this process of losing 30-40 pounds is going to take a few months and isn't going to happen over night but I was expecting to notice a difference by now. I have noticed a slight difference in how some of my pants/shorts fit but it's not much of a difference at all.

2) Is it possible that I'm not seeing any changes in the scale due to I'm losing fat but also building muscle since muscle weighs more than fat? I have been thinking that maybe at first it might work like that until it finally balances out and your weight start to drop once you lose even more fat. Is this a possibility?

3) Are my workouts not intense enough to have any effect? By the time I leave the gym my shirt is completely covered front and back in sweat. I feel like I'm doing quite a bit and I'm getting in there like I said at least 3 sometimes up to 5 days a week.

I have no plans of giving up or anything and I plan to make working out part of my regular routine in my life but I'm basically just wondering if I should be expecting some results after almost a month or if I still have to give it another few weeks before I might start to really notice some results.

Thanks.
If you work up a sweat when you exercize like you say you should be losing weight. Don't eat anything after 9PM. Remember portion control. One thing that can help is adding whole grains and cutting out dairy. Instead of milk on your cereal, use vanilla Rice milk and buy Kashi whole grains cereal with raisins or other quality brand like Natures Path or Optimum. Whole grains are like the scrubbing bubbles. They absorb and remove toxins. Cut way back on meat and ramp up raw and slightly cooked veggies. If you hate vegetables, at least buy something like KyoGreen which is a green powder made up of dehydrated wheat grass and other grasses which when you mix with OJ, simply turn the juice green. But when you ingest it, it is like getting a blood transfusion - literally. They say under a microscope the cellular formation is very similar to that of a red blood cell. So it is easy to assimilate and is like eating 5 servings of raw leafy green veggies -- very nutritious!

If after doing all that you still aren't losing weight, you might have an underactive thyroid which you can find out if you have by taking your basal cell underarm temperature first thing in the AM before you even sit up in bed. in fact I'd do that tomorrow if you have been working out as long as you have and not lost ANY weight. Leave the thermometer under your arm for 10 mins. Normal temp should be 97.8 and 98.2. Below 97.8 might explain why you are haing a tough time losing weight as your metabolism is partially shut down. Getting your thyroid working again naturally will get your metabolism going again.

You can take homeopathic Thyroid tablets that you can get in a good health food store. AFter a few weeks, it should start to get your metabolism going again. If not, private message me and I can refer you to a good experienced Naturopath who does phone appointments who can help. If you'd rather not wait. I can give you the website and contact info sooner.

Old 07-30-2008, 11:49 AM

96 posts, read 616,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
If you work up a sweat when you exercize like you say you should be losing weight. Don't eat anything after 9PM. Remember portion control. One thing that can help is adding whole grains and cutting out dairy. Instead of milk on your cereal, use vanilla Rice milk and buy Kashi whole grains cereal with raisins or other quality brand like Natures Path or Optimum. Whole grains are like the scrubbing bubbles. They absorb and remove toxins. Cut way back on meat and ramp up raw and slightly cooked veggies. If you hate vegetables, at least buy something like KyoGreen which is a green powder made up of dehydrated wheat grass and other grasses which when you mix with OJ, simply turn the juice green. But when you ingest it, it is like getting a blood transfusion - literally. They say under a microscope the cellular formation is very similar to that of a red blood cell. So it is easy to assimilate and is like eating 5 servings of raw leafy green veggies -- very nutritious!

If after doing all that you still aren't losing weight, you might have an underactive thyroid which you can find out if you have by taking your basal cell underarm temperature first thing in the AM before you even sit up in bed. in fact I'd do that tomorrow if you have been working out as long as you have and not lost ANY weight. Leave the thermometer under your arm for 10 mins. Normal temp should be 97.8 and 98.2. Below 97.8 might explain why you are haing a tough time losing weight as your metabolism is partially shut down. Getting your thyroid working again naturally will get your metabolism going again.

You can take homeopathic Thyroid tablets that you can get in a good health food store. AFter a few weeks, it should start to get your metabolism going again. If not, private message me and I can refer you to a good experienced Naturopath who does phone appointments who can help. If you'd rather not wait. I can give you the website and contact info sooner.
Thanks alot, I will try out these things and see how they work out. If I notice some changes, I will post them.

Thanks again, very helpful post.

Old 07-30-2008, 12:03 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,317,959 times
1)you might be dehydrated, which by all the sweating you're doing, you probably are. Drink a ton of water- 10, 8oz glasses. Your scale will NOT move if you're dehydrated- your body will hold the water for safety.
2)Count calories. Go online and check how many you should be eating for your height and sex.
3)Eat more fiber. Try weight watchers, it works.
That's all it is- calories in and calories out.
GOOD LUCK! and don't give up

Old 08-09-2008, 10:52 AM

15 posts, read 52,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureMover08 View Post

I have some questions:

Thanks.
Yes you should have results in one week or even a few days! Great for you! You can build muscle and burn fat at the same time. Did you know that your cardio burns is oxygen to your cells and you burn fat even more? You are doing that!

So my question is what you are eating and if it is enough and if it is balanced. Do you eat enough to burn and to increase your metabolism?

Old 08-09-2008, 07:17 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,166,449 times
Eat more. You need to feed the machine. Don't fill up on empty calories, but increase the number of times you eat. Three meals a day, three more could be a meal replacement drink (high protein since that will kick your metabolism up more than carbs or fats), some veggies or fruits, or high fiber muffins or cookies.

If you don't want to eat a bunch of veggies every day, drink a V8 or two each day. Three servings of veggies in the 12oz bottles, they cost about $1.50 each so cost isn't much more than a latte or a couple of Gatorades.

Oh, and don't overtrain. Your body needs time to rest and recover. Overtraining will force your body into survival mode and cause it to keep the weight on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss