Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 04:30 PM

1,143 posts, read 2,873,758 times

Advertisements

Funny! I still have my sense of humor after 7 LONG days of NO SUGAR TREATS!!!!!
My scale isn't working so I'm not exactly sure what I have lost but I know I have lost some weight because my pants are loose YEAH!!!!!!!!!

I had a friend who had his mouth wired shut after a surgery and he lost 30 lbs in a few weeks....but he gained it all back when he started to eat again Nice thought, though!!!!

Broiled flounder with steamed shrimp and wilted spinach for dinner tonight. My husband did beg me for some fresh corn tonight so since he was craving it, I bought it....I'll steam it and use fresh herbs to season. We are on track! I can tell that he has lost weight, too, but since he refuses to weigh I don't know how much. I just know that when I put my arms around him I can feel he has lost girth around the middle.

Thanks everyone.....as soon as I have my actual stats, I'll post them. I'll also share the menu items that turn out really well so that you won't have as much trial and ERROR, ERROR, ERROR as I am having Like the steamed pork chop debacle......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 07:19 PM

932 posts, read 1,677,295 times
Default My First Day

Hello to you all.

Today is my first day starting the well known Grapefruit Diet. Over the weekend I prepared by taking slimquick tablets twice a day. I really hope this works.

Anyway, my family has a history of being obese. My grandmother weighed in at 259 and she is probably 5'3. She went on L.A. Weight Loss and lost close to 103 lbs. She looks great and younger.

My mother is also overweight but has lost 25 lbs due to having surgery.

I am 5'9 and never was really that small... a size 10. Throughout high school I weighed 155 to 160 but since being in college I have gained 20+ lbs.

Now I'm into 14's. This diet will mean a lot since I'm going back to school at the end of Aug. I would love to lose that 20 lbs and more.The diet is said to make you lose 10 lbs in 12 days. I was wondering if anyone has done this specific diet?

Old 08-12-2008, 06:21 AM

1,229 posts, read 2,911,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMiiorHateMii View Post
Hello to you all.

Today is my first day starting the well known Grapefruit Diet. Over the weekend I prepared by taking slimquick tablets twice a day. I really hope this works.

Anyway, my family has a history of being obese. My grandmother weighed in at 259 and she is probably 5'3. She went on L.A. Weight Loss and lost close to 103 lbs. She looks great and younger.

My mother is also overweight but has lost 25 lbs due to having surgery.

I am 5'9 and never was really that small... a size 10. Throughout high school I weighed 155 to 160 but since being in college I have gained 20+ lbs.

Now I'm into 14's. This diet will mean a lot since I'm going back to school at the end of Aug. I would love to lose that 20 lbs and more.The diet is said to make you lose 10 lbs in 12 days. I was wondering if anyone has done this specific diet?
The grapfruit does have great fat burning properties and you will lose 10lbs in 12 days,BUT it is a diet and not a way of life so the end result will be the same!the metabolism will slow to a crawl you will enter starvation mode and gain it all back the moment you eat a slice of bread!Sorry for the grim outlook but stick to a life diet and exercise, in the long haul you will better off.

Old 08-12-2008, 07:27 AM

932 posts, read 1,677,295 times
Thanks HappyCamper5. It is easier for me to exercise while I am at school since we have a free gym on campus, also its is easier for me to lose weight when I am in school because I walk everywhere due to not needing a car in Philly. So when I get back I'll hopefully keep the weight off.

Old 08-12-2008, 06:25 PM

Well....checking in after 7 days and I'm heartbroken. I just weighed on working scales and I am EXACTLY what I started at. NO sweets...no sugar....no bread....
I swam for hours at a time and walked the dogs 5-6 times per day......the first few days I went down 2lbs and now the weight magically reappears even with all of the changes. I'm not giving up but, gee, I surely didn't expect this. I've been working really, really hard and my pants felt more loose....... this sucks. Has anyone had a delayed start to the weight dropping??? Everything I read seemed to indicate that you guys lost 5lbs immediately once cutting out the bread, sugar and sodas. I have not had ONE single FRIED or sweet thing ALL WEEK!!!!! UGGGHHHH. Sorry to be negative...I'm usually a Pollyanna but I was crushed when I had not lost 5 lbs.........

Old 08-12-2008, 06:33 PM

438 posts, read 1,730,893 times
Did you take measurements when you started so that you have that to compare against? Remember, muscle weighs more than fat and since you just started you are probably building your muscle. You can see progress in measurements and not see improvement in weight. Give it more time. As long as your pants are feeling more loose, that's more important than the scale.

Stay positive & good luck!

Old 08-12-2008, 07:15 PM

Oh no, I didn't. I didn't even think to do that.
Well luckily I didn't go off on a total binge because of what I thought was a set-back. I did indulge in a Skinny Cow ice cream sandwich (140 calories)....... I hadn't had anything all week and I was steamed about not accomplishing anything..... But I'll hit the gym first thing in the morning and keep at this. I'll also measure my upper arms, waist and thighs and chart them on my calendar and that way I can see if it is muscle instead. Thanks for the encouragement and the tip...... I feel more confident that I AM on the right track.

Old 08-12-2008, 08:06 PM

410 posts, read 1,293,186 times
Tinabean- don't give up!! It's completely normal for your body to be like... whoa, wait a second what's going on and it switches gears and doesn't want to drop weight, this is what my personal trainer told me. It took a good couple weeks to really start noticing weight loss and even then it was only a couple pounds a week. She told me after 3 months of a change in lifestyle/eating, your body will kick into gear realizing this is a way of life now and it will adjust and the pounds will start to come off.

I still struggle with this myself, but this thread has been inspirational to me and I'm very motivated to get back on track with many of the suggestions on this thread.

Hang in there!!!

Old 08-13-2008, 07:30 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,163,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinabean View Post
Well....checking in after 7 days and I'm heartbroken. I just weighed on working scales and I am EXACTLY what I started at. NO sweets...no sugar....no bread....
I swam for hours at a time and walked the dogs 5-6 times per day......the first few days I went down 2lbs and now the weight magically reappears even with all of the changes. I'm not giving up but, gee, I surely didn't expect this. I've been working really, really hard and my pants felt more loose....... this sucks. Has anyone had a delayed start to the weight dropping??? Everything I read seemed to indicate that you guys lost 5lbs immediately once cutting out the bread, sugar and sodas. I have not had ONE single FRIED or sweet thing ALL WEEK!!!!! UGGGHHHH. Sorry to be negative...I'm usually a Pollyanna but I was crushed when I had not lost 5 lbs.........
Are you doing any type of muscle training? Because muscle does weigh more than fat, which is why I don't typically use a scale, I go by how my clothse fit. As long as I can always fit into my 5's i'm good to go. Scales can be decieving....are you keeping track of your body fat percentage? That is also very accurate. My mom, now 49, had issues a few years back with keeping the weight off and she was diagnosed with underactive thyroid....no symptoms or anything she just couldn't loose even with working out hardcore. Might want to check with your Doc. just to be sure everything internally is cooperating....other than that....just watch your DCI and maybe add some weight training.

Old 08-13-2008, 09:19 AM

Thanks Azcater!
I don't know what is going on with my weight numbers but I've found that I've become OBSESSED with the number rather than the process so I'm going to stop weighing except for maybe twice a week. This morning the scale was back DOWN 2 lbs. Maybe water weight??? End of the day versus morning weigh-in difference???
I'm going to keep doing the things that folks have suggested and exercising as much as I can and not focus on the number because it is making me nuts. Good luck on getting back on track with your routine. Keep me updated on YOUR success!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss