Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2008, 10:07 AM

3,975 posts, read 7,692,255 times

Advertisements

Hey! this is a great thread, I haven't read the entire thing, but I may like to join? I want to lose 12 lbs.
my problems are: 1) craving carbs, 2) non-motivated to work out. 3) Football Sundays when all I want are beer, fries, more beer, and beef tips or coconut shrimp.
Has anyone tried the "Walk Away the Pounds" from Leslie Sansone? does it really feel like you are getting a workout?
I'm going on a cruise at the end of Nov, and I'd like to lose my gut. I'm thin throughout my legs/arms, but my middle looks like I'm 3-4 months pregnant (which I'm not!)
Any diet tips? is this diet threas still going? How many calories are you guys consuming each day?
thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 11:14 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,646,444 times
glad to have someone else join the discussion. we're just sharing info soooo...Back in january, I started writing down everything I ate and worked to stay in the 1500 to 1800 calorie range. did ok on this and lost 10 lbs. still wanted to lose more, so at the beginning of sept, decided to kick it up a notch and start some exercising! began working out to the "bodies in motion" with gilad onthe fit tv channel and following the south beach diet. did pretty well and lost another 10. in the past two weeks, I have been backsliding..still exercising and trying to add more than just the 30 minute show, but have been really craving the carbs..mostly cracker type stuff and some sweets. trying to figure out where to go from here! everyone does something different. we just try to share our ups and downs!

Old 10-30-2008, 11:23 AM

thanks "sg"- I don't know where to start. Part of me wishes I was on a deserted island with no access to Heath bars, or beer, or vodka, etc. My cravings are things like choc. chip cookies, brownies, etc. Oh I forgot the carmel lattes, although I have been getting decaf, sugar free, skinny version. You lost the first 10 lbs just by diet alone? that's great!
Someone toldme that just cutting out sugar can do wonders!
I just need to start something!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgresident View Post
glad to have someone else join the discussion. we're just sharing info soooo...Back in january, I started writing down everything I ate and worked to stay in the 1500 to 1800 calorie range. did ok on this and lost 10 lbs. still wanted to lose more, so at the beginning of sept, decided to kick it up a notch and start some exercising! began working out to the "bodies in motion" with gilad onthe fit tv channel and following the south beach diet. did pretty well and lost another 10. in the past two weeks, I have been backsliding..still exercising and trying to add more than just the 30 minute show, but have been really craving the carbs..mostly cracker type stuff and some sweets. trying to figure out where to go from here! everyone does something different. we just try to share our ups and downs!

Old 10-30-2008, 07:40 PM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times
45 minutes of robust elyptical tonight, it was all I had in me after working out the last 2 days. Meter said I burned >600 cals. Dinner was about 5oz. of lean roast beef and a glass of apple juice (I will have a protein shake and a banana later). Lunch was a roast beef on wheat with lettuce, onion and tomato with a couple pickles and a yogurt with strawberries in it. Breakfast was munching on about 4-5 big handfulls of cheerios and a multi-vitamin. This is a typical days eating.

I will be at 195 tomorrow...>25lbs down and about 20-25 to go. Getting a trainer soon so I get the most out of my efforts. 8-9 weeks of effort approx.

Old 10-30-2008, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfangal View Post
Hey! this is a great thread, I haven't read the entire thing, but I may like to join? I want to lose 12 lbs.
my problems are: 1) craving carbs, 2) non-motivated to work out. 3) Football Sundays when all I want are beer, fries, more beer, and beef tips or coconut shrimp.
Has anyone tried the "Walk Away the Pounds" from Leslie Sansone? does it really feel like you are getting a workout?
I'm going on a cruise at the end of Nov, and I'd like to lose my gut. I'm thin throughout my legs/arms, but my middle looks like I'm 3-4 months pregnant (which I'm not!)
Any diet tips? is this diet threas still going? How many calories are you guys consuming each day?
thanks!
First, I dedicated myself to working out about 5 days a week for an hour or so average. I try to push myself each time and as I get in better shape I can do more.
Second, I consider that drinking a couple beers or having something really bad for me means another hour of cardio to get even. This gives me a lot of pause as I only have so many hours in the day.

You don't have to be this militant, I just finally had enough with a lot of crap in my life over the past 2-5 years and decided to focus myself. For some reason, I've always been most motivated by adversity and I have enough of that to fuel me for a good long time.

Old 10-31-2008, 07:13 AM

Hey "mathguy"- Congrats on your dedication. I know that I'm also not eating enough some days, I have sedentary job, then I go home and do nothing. Now, I should be as big as a house, but I'm actually quite petite, and people look at me in disbelief when I tell them how much weight I want to lose. But the problem is it's all in my mid-section. I wonder if it's stress related, I read that the hormone cortisol can cause mid-section weight gain.
I just know that I'm tired of feeling and looking (IMO) like crap! Plus the cruise I"m going on in 4 wks should give me motivation. I just have to buckle down and get my diet in order and start exercising, last night I did some tricep work and stretching, so I am trying! and I can start doing the stairs at work.
I'll use this weekend to go shopping, prepare some meals and report back on Monday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
First, I dedicated myself to working out about 5 days a week for an hour or so average. I try to push myself each time and as I get in better shape I can do more.
Second, I consider that drinking a couple beers or having something really bad for me means another hour of cardio to get even. This gives me a lot of pause as I only have so many hours in the day.

You don't have to be this militant, I just finally had enough with a lot of crap in my life over the past 2-5 years and decided to focus myself. For some reason, I've always been most motivated by adversity and I have enough of that to fuel me for a good long time.

Old 10-31-2008, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfangal View Post
Hey "mathguy"- Congrats on your dedication. I know that I'm also not eating enough some days, I have sedentary job, then I go home and do nothing. Now, I should be as big as a house, but I'm actually quite petite, and people look at me in disbelief when I tell them how much weight I want to lose. But the problem is it's all in my mid-section. I wonder if it's stress related, I read that the hormone cortisol can cause mid-section weight gain.
I just know that I'm tired of feeling and looking (IMO) like crap! Plus the cruise I"m going on in 4 wks should give me motivation. I just have to buckle down and get my diet in order and start exercising, last night I did some tricep work and stretching, so I am trying! and I can start doing the stairs at work.
I'll use this weekend to go shopping, prepare some meals and report back on Monday!
Sounds like you could get what you want just by adding a modest cardio workout with some ab work and light hand weights. Just 30min or with an exercise tape or power walk but I would throw in the hand weights to help tone you up, including your core. Just my 2 cents, I'm not a personal trainer, but I'm free! :-)

You can do it! You have a timeframe and a goal go get it!

Old 10-31-2008, 09:00 AM

Thanks "mathguy"! I'm going to try the "walk" tape, it utilizes hand weights. I actually don't mind bulking up a little, I need to build up my strength.
and I'll work on the sugar intake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Sounds like you could get what you want just by adding a modest cardio workout with some ab work and light hand weights. Just 30min or with an exercise tape or power walk but I would throw in the hand weights to help tone you up, including your core. Just my 2 cents, I'm not a personal trainer, but I'm free! :-)

You can do it! You have a timeframe and a goal go get it!

Old 10-31-2008, 09:05 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,646,444 times
sportsfangal,
I wish I was going on a cruise! You would be amazed at what 30 minutes can do. I get the fit tv channel at home and started working out to that. the bodies in motion with gilad does a nice variety of warm ups to get the heart rate up, some toning, ab work and a cool down stretch. sometimes they do weights, sometimes not! you would be surprised how just the walking in place and some stretching helps. It is important to just take those small steps forward and not get too discouraged with setback. just cutting out extra junk and paying attention to portions will really help.
I have a 13 yo son and he was getting a little belly. I tried to explain that he was eating too many snacks. we decided to focus on what a serving is. we started reading labels together and that made a huge difference. He isn't fat by any means(5'10" and was about 155) with his fall sports of football and practicing everyday, now basketball, he lost about 8 lbs and looks lean and mean! so portions and reading those labels also is a big help. start small!!!!

Old 10-31-2008, 09:21 AM

thanks "sg"- and kudos to for helping your son to eat better and keep up the sports! I think I will order the walk at home tapes with hand weights, and if I can keep my fridge stocked with healthier snack choices, I hope to be on the right track for long term health.
I can't wait for the cruise!! you're welcome to come along!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgresident View Post
sportsfangal,
I wish I was going on a cruise! You would be amazed at what 30 minutes can do. I get the fit tv channel at home and started working out to that. the bodies in motion with gilad does a nice variety of warm ups to get the heart rate up, some toning, ab work and a cool down stretch. sometimes they do weights, sometimes not! you would be surprised how just the walking in place and some stretching helps. It is important to just take those small steps forward and not get too discouraged with setback. just cutting out extra junk and paying attention to portions will really help.
I have a 13 yo son and he was getting a little belly. I tried to explain that he was eating too many snacks. we decided to focus on what a serving is. we started reading labels together and that made a huge difference. He isn't fat by any means(5'10" and was about 155) with his fall sports of football and practicing everyday, now basketball, he lost about 8 lbs and looks lean and mean! so portions and reading those labels also is a big help. start small!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss