Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2008, 08:05 AM

3,975 posts, read 7,691,495 times

Advertisements

wow, that is really cool! you are dedicated. I need to lose 12 lbs of mid-section fat - beer, fries, heath bars, brownies, etc!
I think I need to keep a food journal. I just orderded an in home walking tape and glove weights.
I'm running out of time before my cruise! oh well, at least if I could get rid of about 5-6 lbs by then, I'd be a little happy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Motivation Tip:

I have a list of weights on my dry-erase board starting when I was >220. I cross each one off as I hit them for motivation. So the board reads 220, 215, 210 etc. (You can use smaller increments like 2-3lbs if you aren't out to lose 50lbs like I am.)

Anyway, helps to motivate me to push through when I stall at a point....I crossed off 195 this morning after about 10+ weeks.

It's a little daunting though, I'm really happy I have lost >25lbs now just considering I STILL want to lose another 20ish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 01:14 PM

78,347 posts, read 60,547,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfangal View Post
wow, that is really cool! you are dedicated. I need to lose 12 lbs of mid-section fat - beer, fries, heath bars, brownies, etc!
I think I need to keep a food journal. I just orderded an in home walking tape and glove weights.
I'm running out of time before my cruise! oh well, at least if I could get rid of about 5-6 lbs by then, I'd be a little happy!
You can do it!

Yep, an entire lifestyle change in terms of eating and exercise...I don't even *think* about my eating anymore....I just don't get that hungry and when I do I turn to lean protein, fruits, veggies etc. As I get more weight off, I'm transitioning from heavy cardio to more wieghts...I would *love* to ripped up by Christmas. Not bad for an old dude lol.

Old 11-05-2008, 01:34 PM

3,975 posts, read 7,691,495 times
I think you are going to exceed your goal! you may be lookin' hot by Thanksgiving at your rate!!!
last night, I had the weight control grilled chicken at Cheesecake Factory. it was delicious! and surprisingly NO cheesecake!!! but, on the other hand, I had 2 martinis! I may have been better off with cheesecake! oy vey!
I know I need to prepare my meals ahead of time, grill bunches of fish and chicken and keep froz veggies and fruits on hand. gee, I can talk about it but for some reason, I can't DO it!!! but today, I had a lot of water, ran up a few flights of stairs at work. I can't wait for that tape! I hope it helps. and if I keep my "cheat" day to only Sunday (football, you see) then that should be ok, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
You can do it!

Yep, an entire lifestyle change in terms of eating and exercise...I don't even *think* about my eating anymore....I just don't get that hungry and when I do I turn to lean protein, fruits, veggies etc. As I get more weight off, I'm transitioning from heavy cardio to more wieghts...I would *love* to ripped up by Christmas. Not bad for an old dude lol.

Old 11-05-2008, 04:52 PM

3,131 posts, read 11,644,916 times
Yeah, I imbibed last night as well! had 3 captain and diet cokes! along with some chips and dip, celery, cocktail meatballs and some nuts. decided to go back to recording my food consumption. at least it keeps me accountable! raked leaves for an hour and a half too!

Old 11-05-2008, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfangal View Post
I think you are going to exceed your goal! you may be lookin' hot by Thanksgiving at your rate!!!
last night, I had the weight control grilled chicken at Cheesecake Factory. it was delicious! and surprisingly NO cheesecake!!! but, on the other hand, I had 2 martinis! I may have been better off with cheesecake! oy vey!
I know I need to prepare my meals ahead of time, grill bunches of fish and chicken and keep froz veggies and fruits on hand. gee, I can talk about it but for some reason, I can't DO it!!! but today, I had a lot of water, ran up a few flights of stairs at work. I can't wait for that tape! I hope it helps. and if I keep my "cheat" day to only Sunday (football, you see) then that should be ok, right?
A suggestion, buy deli-meat or packages of sliced turkey....95-97% lean. Meals at home for me are typically a chunk of that meat, a glass of juice and some fruit like a banana. (occasionally a protein shake) That's it...easy peasy...lots of lean protein...hardly any carbs. You don't have to grill\freeze blah blah blah just grab and go.

I had a beer last night (cocktail hour date) but just one and then some water.

P.S. Unsalted, unbuttered popcorn is a GREAT secret wheapon. I used to eat that when I wrestled and had single digit body fat.

Old 11-05-2008, 09:12 PM

single digit body fat..can't even imagine that one! that must be a real goal to strive for.

Old 11-05-2008, 11:36 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,046,149 times
I remember it.... I used to be a competitive gymnast, so just about nil on body fat, and boyo, do i miss my abs....sigh....
At this point, Id just like to find something non-squishy in my belly lol I feel like a totally different person.... although, i suppose 3 c-sections made a slight difference too!
anyhow, I didnt do to bad today, I slept in WAY late, and missed out on breakfast, had a roastbeef sandwich for lunch w/lowfat mayo, then for dinner, a piece of shakeNbake chicken, and a bowl of sliced cucumbers and some cherry tomatoes. For variety, instead of always just water, im having ice tea (homemade) a few times a week.
my indulgence tonight was a slice of pumpkin pie. but it just didnt taste quite as good as I thought it would. Which is a very good thing, cuz I cheated today w/the YUMMIEST drink. I went to starbucks and got a grande peppermint twist mocha. Oh, am I ever gonna have to exersize extra for THAT one!
dieting is so hard in these fall/winter months...so much comfort food everywhere and hot mocha/coffee drinks to die for. sigh......

Old 11-06-2008, 07:14 AM

I just have to get rid of the halloween candy. had some more yesterday! was a really good day until about 8 p.m. last night! no control here!!!!

Old 11-06-2008, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgresident View Post
I just have to get rid of the halloween candy. had some more yesterday! was a really good day until about 8 p.m. last night! no control here!!!!
Grazing is the killer of diets. My wife did this when our kids were young...just a couple chips here while making them lunch, finishing off a pizza crust or two or having a hersey's kiss with the kids...the little bits that would add up to that extra 500cals or so a day of "off the record" eating.

Grazing is also mentally debilitating, you think you are dieting and it's hard and it's "just not working" so you give up.

It's really simple, Calories in minus Calories expended. No one gains calories from osmosis or breathing in air etc. If we were tossed on a desert island with minimal provisions we would all lose a ton of weight.

Old 11-06-2008, 08:07 AM

Retired 4-5 pairs of pants today that had a 40 inch wasit. I can no longer cinch them on with a belt without looking *wierd* and could take them off or on full zipped and buttoned lol. Wearing 36's now comfortably.

Weighed 193.8 this morning
Goals:

December 1: <=185
Ultimate: 170, fit, cut and healthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss