Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 04:33 AM

7 posts, read 28,178 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am new here and I need to lose 50 lbs. I have never tried to lose weight before, but now my Dr. says I need to drop some weight because it is bad for my knees, I have knee problems and he said that all my weight doesn't help my problem at all. I always felt fine with my 198 lbs, untill my knees starting giving me trouble. So I guess it is time to do something !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2008, 09:57 PM

625 posts, read 1,581,972 times
Smile Good Fortune

That's the spirit....go,go,....go,go,go. and don't start by having a final big blow out meal to celebrate your big diet plan. It's easy to imagine a super diet when your belly's full but it only makes things harder the next day. I did that a couple of times when I was younger and I have seen a few other people do it. Good fortune to you.

Old 09-14-2008, 02:48 AM

Thank you for the info. I am not sure how I am going to start my diet, this is not easy for me, I have 2 kids which I have to cook for, I do cook them healthy meals, but like kids they do like their junk food sometimes, you know, fish sticks, french fries. So, of course, I do eat with them, I have to change this. I am sure I will find some help in this forum.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:39 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,537,946 times
Good luck to you, Hillery on your search for a weight loss program for yourself. You can do this. However, you really must want to do this yourself for yourself. What I mean is that when someone else tells you that you 'must' do something, too many times we rebel. I have lost a lot of weight and do not ever want t put any of it back on. I am now a diabetic and recently had total knee replacement surgery. Mstly due to my excess weight.

It didn't happen overnight. I thought about what I needed to do and set a start date for myself and went from there. It has taken me about 12 months to get where I am. I am a senior (read old lady). So the sagging skin and failed muscle tone is a result of not doing the exercises that I should have done. Even good old walking would have helped. However with the bad knees this does present a problem. May need to get a treadmill as I did and use it.

Again, I wish you the best of luck and hope that you will just decide what it is you really want and then go for it with a strong determination. Oh, you can eat a few of what you are fixing the kids, but remember, you are the shopper, don't buy these foods all of the time. Try to change their eating habits along with yours.

Old 09-19-2008, 09:55 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,842,538 times
I get upset when I keep seeing the word "diet" used so frequently. In my mind diets are things you get on and then fall off of. You need to retrain your brain to think in terms of healthy eating habits which is a plan for a lifetime. Almost without exception people who diet to lose weight invariably regain what they've lost and then some. If you can be satisfied with small losses over a lengthy period of time then you will likely have found a pattern you can live with for the rest of your life. That saying, "Slow and steady wins the race" has never been more true than when applied to reshaping your body with sensible eating habits that you embrace for the rest of your life. For me it has been adopting what is often called the Mediterranean Eating Plan which has resulted in a 25 pound loss over the last five months. Certainly it isn't the fastest or biggest but I feel satisfied and think I can continue this pattern for the rest of my life. The real biggie has been stopping the endless snacking that I used to do. Good luck and just stop thinking of yourself as "being on a diet."

Old 09-19-2008, 10:04 AM

Yep, Diet is a terrible word, never really thought about it that way. It sure doesn't give you a positive feeling when you hear the word. Maybe that is the first step I should take and forget the word Diet. I sure don't want to diet for the rest of my life, I have to make a plan that I can stick with and also enjoy. I did start swimming with my kids, they enjoy it and I do too, now I gotta get down to the eating problem.

Old 09-20-2008, 12:07 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,038,119 times
"Eat more, not less!"

That was the advice which helped me the most!

But eat more of the good stuff.

Cook/prepare TWICE as much green veg, carrots, squash, mushrooms, salads, fruits - all the things that are 'free' foods on WW - plus have a good sized portion of protein and and pile your plate high!!

Carbs are good - rice, pasta, baked potatoes and beans but not the processed, fried or sugary ones. Just cut right back on the bad carbs, fries, sugars and fats - and replace them with MORE of something good.

And invest in a pair of really good running shoes, that will take some impact off your knees, and walk for 45 minutes a day, every day.

Old 09-21-2008, 07:34 AM

Southdown, that is very good advise, I do make vegies everyday with dinner, but I guess I could make more, where can I get a list of these free foods? I try to go swimming every second day with the kids. Walking is boring, is there anything else I could do? I really like doing things with my 2 kids, they would never go on a walk with me.

Old 09-21-2008, 04:58 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,537,946 times
How old are your children? Make up games for the walks. Just like driving games. Count birds, butterflys, kitties, puppies, different trees. People, anything!!! then keep a list and at the end of a certain time frame, reward with their choice of games to play at home, direction of next walk, TV program to watch, anything that would interest them and you. Make it fun for all of you. Good luck.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:13 AM

Thank you, I could try the game thing, my kids are 9 and 7. They might go for that, they are the right age for games like that. I will try it tomorrow and see what they think of it. Maybe we can turn it into a bike riding thing. I would have to try to ride one again, haven't done it since I was a kid. Worth a try. I hope that I can ride a bike with my knee problem, must be OK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss