Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 04:03 PM
'M'

1,956 posts, read 3,202,023 times

Advertisements

stevenJay1 / bande1102 .... I've also heard that intermittent fasting is good...but think what I read didn't recommend it if you had weight to lose (??) It definitely has a lot of experts behind it. Does anyone know exactly how it works and will it work if you need to lose weight?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2016, 10:13 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
As the topic was started in 2008 it would be nice if the op would drop by to give us an up date,what worked what didnt,any advice for others?

Old 10-06-2016, 12:04 PM

1 posts, read 1,172 times
based on your current weight and with the cardio you're doing, you can eat way more than 1000-1200 calories and still drop weight. Eating at such low cals isn't sustainable in the log run. use a TDEE calculator online and see what your maintenance calories are and subtract 250-500 cals to lose.
Great to hear you got back into the swing of things.

Old 10-29-2016, 03:09 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,641,967 times
OP, Hope you met your goal!

Last edited by WestCobb; 10-29-2016 at 03:27 AM..

Old 11-26-2016, 08:30 AM

510 posts, read 448,228 times
Default My weight loss routine

For breakfast and lunch eat smart ones/weight watchers meals. Heat them up in microwave, rinse them off under water to reduce sodium, reheat again for 1 minute and eat.

Home made dinner -using small plate. Usually meat and vegetables.

Four days a week do push-ups and squats-no weights needed.

On weekends allow myself 2 slices pizza and and about 2 tablespoons of ice cream. It's easy and it works for me.

Old 11-26-2016, 10:10 AM

162 posts, read 212,911 times
This post is so old, I wonder if the OP ever lost the weight?

Old 12-11-2016, 01:28 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,424,435 times
My best advice would be to stop eating processed foods. Subway and Lean Cuisine are still crap - lower calorie crap, but crap nonetheless.

It takes time and planning, but start making meals, packing lunches, etc. On weekends I get stuff ready for the week. I plan meals and always make enough for leftovers, which I take to work and eat for lunch. I always have hard boiled eggs on hand, which I eat for a quick breakfast along with some fruit. I use my crockpot a lot.

I was recently diagnosed with a rather severe gluten intolerance, so I had to make changes out of necessity. But it made me realize how much processed food I really ate, even stuff I thought was "healthy." Of course I dropped gluten, but I also took it upon myself to drop pretty much all grains and treat dairy as a treat. I'm not saying you have to go that far, but it really does make a difference. It automatically cuts down carbs and sugar. I basically follow a Paleo-style diet (with the exception of the occasional dairy, like some Feta on a salad).

I have struggled with my weight my whole life - binge eating, etc. This is the only time I have really say I don't have any cravings. It sucked at first, but I can not believe how much better I feel. Headaches and fatigue I used to chalk up to work are just gone. And I still have the same job, so that hasn't changed.

Old 12-11-2016, 01:32 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,424,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
When it all comes down to it, the adage "eat less, move more" still applies. What confounds me are those who insist that removing entire food groups from the diet (barring medical reasons, of course) is some sort of weight loss secret. The "secret" is that you are eating less. You'll lose weight if you practice portion control and moderation. Weight reduction IMHO really doesn't have to involve any sort of special diet. You eat what you enjoy but less of it. Or, if you can find a healthier alternative, choose that for more caloric bang for the buck. But I don't subscribe to "no sugar" "no carbs" "no fat" "no...."
But some foods, mostly carbs and processed foods, cause people (like me) to have terrible cravings. Processed foods have additives that actually make you hungrier (same goes for sugar). So for a lot of people, practicing portion control while still eating a lot of those foods is simply not sustainable.

Old 12-13-2016, 07:44 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
But some foods, mostly carbs and processed foods, cause people (like me) to have terrible cravings. Processed foods have additives that actually make you hungrier (same goes for sugar). So for a lot of people, practicing portion control while still eating a lot of those foods is simply not sustainable.
Processed food may or may not have additives that make a person feel hungry but you also included carbs and I don't agree. eating a balanced meal that comprises multiple food groups, including carbs, doesn't cause cravings and overeating. Readily available simple carbs don't fill a person up, and even then everything has its place. I regularly eat both simple and complex carbs throughout the day and I'm still able to practice portion control. For example I eat a simple carb snack that's premised and 100 Cala and that's it. My body is on a regular feeding schedule to avoid cravings and overeating

Old 12-17-2016, 03:17 PM

2 posts, read 1,650 times
I think you just need to reduce calories consumption,that way you can lose weight fast but you still got to eat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss