Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 07:37 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,712,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
I have been on a dinner as the only meal routine for years, I have never eaten breakfast for an extended period of time and occasionally have lunches. I assume that my metabolism would slow down due to this behavior but like any machine, my body needs to consume fuel so would it not go for the fat stores? I have never healthfully dieted before and I am looking to start I would appreciate some suggestions if anyone has any.
I read somewhere that David Letterman the talk show host does this. Why I remember this, I don't know, but I have met other people in recent years who do the same. They only eat one meal a day to control their weight and they seem to do well by it. Remember it's the total calories consumed in a day that matter, not when you eat them, that count. You can fast for a day if you want, but if you make up for it by consuming double or triple the amount of calories in the next couple of days, then you accomplished nothing.

I could not live this way as I prefer to have a small amount of food every couple of hours to give me energy. If this works for you and doesn't effect your life in any harmful way, then try it and see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2008, 06:16 AM

656 posts, read 1,985,549 times
I have found that keeping my blood sugar normal all through the day is the best thing I can do for my body - my best results have been eating 3 healthy meals and 2 healthy snacks. I've often found that when I miss meals I end up craving unhealthy foods and go down the slippery slope.

Eating healthy throughout the day really is the best way to nourish and fuel your body.

Old 11-26-2008, 04:03 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,253,875 times
Quote:
I have been on a dinner as the only meal routine for years, I have never eaten breakfast for an extended period of time and occasionally have lunches.
I'm similar. I never eat breakfast during the week, and for lunch I have an apple and one and a half servings of dry roasted lightly salted peanuts followed by a stick of Trident. Then I eat dinner later on. I generally don't do much snacking either.

On the weekends if I'm pretty active I'll eat more, but then there are some weekend days when my first meal is at 6pm.

I do try to look at total calories (I average about 1700 calories/day).

I will say that if you're going to fast for a day that you need to be careful. Watch for that blacking out feeling from standing up too quickly. I did a fast several years ago and nearly blacked out and realized I needed to get some calories in my body pronto.

Old 02-07-2009, 04:55 AM

4 posts, read 11,427 times
My girlfriend has always been obsessed and miserable about watching her weight. After trying umpteen number of things following are the 2 that eventually did produce good and reasonably results for her and made her happy:

[url=http://jughead123.xhmtl.hop.clickbank.net/?tid=1]The Master Cleanse Book Everyone's Raving About[/url]

[url=http://jughead123.thedsp.hop.clickbank.net/?tid=1]Best Diet Program, Healthy Meal Plans, Eating for Weight Loss, Health Foods[/url]

Old 02-07-2009, 04:57 AM

4 posts, read 11,427 times

Old 02-08-2009, 09:34 AM

65 posts, read 140,614 times
Quote:
What are the negative effects (other than hunger) of not eating for a day or two and just consuming water and perhaps other liquids? I ask this because I can get through days just fine without eating at all and was wondering if this was a safe route to losing weight.

I think that this is the information that you are looking for:

Prolonged hunger
Depression
Reduced sex drive
Fatigue
Irritability
Fainting
Sinus problems (especially post-nasal drip)
Muscle atrophy
Rashes
Acidosis
Bloodshot eyes
Gallbladder disease
Seizures
Malnutrition, possibly leading to death
Subsequent weight gain

Now none of these things sound as if they are a heck of a lot of fun to deal with and is losing a few pounds worth the risk.

Try eating sensibly, no junk, and nothing after 6 PM ... as you do not seem to have a problem giving up food totally you shouldn't have a problem making this a rule of your life.

Know that nutrition is something that we all need for if we do not eat, we cannot live. Obesity is harder to overcome than any other addiction (in my opinion) if you are an alcoholic, you can certainly live without alcohol, if you are a drug addict you can live without the drugs, however the addiction to food, that is another story as we cannot give up our addiction because if we do, we die.

Please there are so many resources out there for you to learn from, find a sensible plan that includes more than the consumption of water.

Old 02-08-2009, 09:44 AM

65 posts, read 140,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITChick View Post
I read somewhere that David Letterman the talk show host does this. Why I remember this, I don't know, but I have met other people in recent years who do the same. They only eat one meal a day to control their weight and they seem to do well by it. Remember it's the total calories consumed in a day that matter, not when you eat them, that count. You can fast for a day if you want, but if you make up for it by consuming double or triple the amount of calories in the next couple of days, then you accomplished nothing.

I could not live this way as I prefer to have a small amount of food every couple of hours to give me energy. If this works for you and doesn't effect your life in any harmful way, then try it and see.

And David Letterman has a cardiac condition .... makes you wonder if he's been doing this for years then well, I can only assume that the lack of nutrition has contributed to his unhealthy heart.

Old 02-08-2009, 09:55 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,200,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbeysMom View Post
And David Letterman has a cardiac condition .... makes you wonder if he's been doing this for years then well, I can only assume that the lack of nutrition has contributed to his unhealthy heart.
He drank,smoked and was under one of the highest stress jobs. I think that had a lot more to do with it. Up and coming in the 80's, I'm sure he used coke too. Hid father also died at a younger age (57). (genetics)

But from dave himself:
Salon Arts & Entertainment | The top 10 reasons David Letterman's heart bypass operation was a good thing

Profiles in Heart Disease - David Letterman

Old 02-08-2009, 10:03 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,200,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbeysMom View Post
I think that this is the information that you are looking for:

Prolonged hunger
Depression
Reduced sex drive
Fatigue
Irritability
Fainting
Sinus problems (especially post-nasal drip)
Muscle atrophy
Rashes
Acidosis
Bloodshot eyes
Gallbladder disease
Seizures
Malnutrition, possibly leading to death
Subsequent weight gain

Now none of these things sound as if they are a heck of a lot of fun to deal with and is losing a few pounds worth the risk.

Try eating sensibly, no junk, and nothing after 6 PM ... as you do not seem to have a problem giving up food totally you shouldn't have a problem making this a rule of your life.

Know that nutrition is something that we all need for if we do not eat, we cannot live. Obesity is harder to overcome than any other addiction (in my opinion) if you are an alcoholic, you can certainly live without alcohol, if you are a drug addict you can live without the drugs, however the addiction to food, that is another story as we cannot give up our addiction because if we do, we die.

Please there are so many resources out there for you to learn from, find a sensible plan that includes more than the consumption of water.
Sorry but that just doesnt happen if you dont eat for a day unless you are diabetic or have other blood sugar problems(fainting) People fast for 12-24 hours all the time for simple blood draws or even days for colon checks.
You can get gall bladder problems from losing any weight at all. It amps the problem if you do it too fast or follow a low fat diet. If that is something that is a special concern to the dieter they can do a liver flush.
You can be malnourished and eating everyday. Most obese who live on the more junky type food are. How often you eat has nothing to do with how nourished you will be (granted you do fasting correctly)

For OP:
Just another way to rotate cals that operates on the same principles of the life preserving CRON method:

Alternate-Day Calorie Restriction – The Johnson UpDayDownDay Diet™

Old 02-12-2009, 10:35 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,299,076 times
I've known people including my dad that have gone without food for a month to do a cleansing of the body. No food, just liquids. My dad did mostly water and welches grape fruit juice.
I cannot think of any negative effects it would have just drinking liquids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss