Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 02:11 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times

Advertisements

My DH has a coworker who has lost 48 lbs on Nutrisystem. She was able to do this in about four months. I am soooo impressed - she looks terrific and says she feels great. She didn't really exercise - but she did walk several times a week. She is about 50 y/o, and w/ this weight loss, she has reached her ideal weight, so she was not morbidly obese (she is about 5'8").

So I was thinking . . . perhaps this would be a good way for me to lose those 30 extra pounds I have gained over the past six years.

What have your experiences been w/ Nutrisystem's plan? The plan she was on had "weekends off" - I guess you just have a simple diet plan to follow on the weekend, but am not really knowledgeable how that works.

Any stories you can share? Anyone tried it and kept their weight off?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 07:45 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,252,809 times
The food is horrible. It does not teach you to adopt new habits. Don't waste your money. Try lots of fruits, vegetables, chicken and fish. A little exercise, too.

Old 12-02-2008, 02:51 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,254,763 times
Make your own version at the beginning of the week. Get a food scale and some storage containers.

Old 12-03-2008, 03:18 PM

5,258 posts, read 9,140,673 times
I once knew a guy who lost 50 lbs. on NutriSystem. The bad thing is that he gained 80 lbs. over the course of the following year.

Old 12-06-2008, 06:59 PM

2,163 posts, read 4,340,227 times
I tried Nutrisystem and I agree with the above poster who said the food is terrible. It's better to follow a plan like Weight Watchers where you can eat what you want, as long as you do it in moderation and limit portion size. If you really want the food provided to you, Jenny Craig food tastes a LOT better than Nutrisystem. Jenny's pizzas and lemon cake are yummy. If I had the money right now I'd be on Jenny Craig but the economy has pretty much forced me to shop at the grocery store instead

Old 12-07-2008, 11:37 AM

1,043 posts, read 3,718,627 times
From what I was told, the food tastes absolutely horrible on Nutrasystems, and many people quit because of it. You might be able to find some people on Ebay selling their leftover orders to try it out and see if you like it before getting on the plan.

You may also want your DH to observe that co-worker for another six months and see if they keep that weight off too.

Old 12-31-2008, 01:06 PM

58 posts, read 223,828 times
I loved Nutrisystem foods; there's no secret that if you eat portions as small as they supplied you, you'd lose weight. Also, their small plastic serving dishes make great cat food dishes! If I could afford it I'd do it again in a heartbeat!

Old 12-31-2008, 02:34 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
My wife tried the food and it is on par with the TV dinner as far as taste.

Old 12-31-2008, 02:45 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,700,070 times
Someone gained 80lbs? I am not a fan of nutra system, but that weight gain has nothing to do with going off it. That's his own lack of motivation...

All NS is a portion control...You can eat 2 healthy choices frozen dinners or a subway sub and achieve the same results. Or you can eat nothing but salad, grill chicken breast, whole wheat bread, brown rice, oatmeal and water and lose tons of weight...

Old 01-07-2009, 01:23 PM

117 posts, read 334,510 times
I have to tell you, I tried this for one month and it did NOT work for me; I got the vegetarian option and the first thing I did was eat all the cookies. There's a whole bunch of chocolate granola bars and other goodies, and it was just too much of a temptation.

I ordered it because of the Marie Osmond commercial; the dinner looked so great. But the real thing was about half that size, naturally, and the little green things of lunch portions are nearly impossible to open.

Also, the food is not complete; you have to add fruit, veggies, protein and dairy. If I have to do that, I might as well do it the correct way in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss