Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 10:42 AM

1,236 posts, read 4,046,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
I was going to remind the OP that we are not here to condemn other people, but you all have done a good job of that. Thank you.

I hope I don't sound unsympathetic to anyone who is in the position of trying to feed their family on a small budget.

It's just distressing to see so many people who are struggling with their weight and limited funds, who make food choices based on factors other than than nutrition

I don't think anyone wants to be harshly critical of individuals who are in the position of making the choice between a eating a healthy banana or processed noodles. Maybe it's "tough love" ? ---- (but I hope I don't sound insensitive, cuz I'm not).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2008, 07:07 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,162,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
I don't think anyone wants to be harshly critical of individuals who are in the position of making the choice between a eating a healthy banana or processed noodles. Maybe it's "tough love" ? ---- (but I hope I don't sound insensitive, cuz I'm not).
Well. Being as how I was in a bad situation (yes, partly my fault), I can tell you that a healthy banana is just not as filling of a meal as "processed noodles". Like several of us have stated, some cheap extras *frozen bags of veggies, for instance* and not using the sodium-nasty packet can easily turn the $.25 packet of cheap noodles into semi-healthy entire meals.

And like I said, until you live in that situation, you don't know. I wouldn't call your statements to be insensitive - but I would put them on the same level as a "backseat driver" so to speak. I'm not trying to sound mean, but it is a lot easier to sit back and make judgement calls when not in the driver's seat having to decide when to make that turn, when to yield, when to push the pedal to the metal.

To give an idea, imagine coming home today (Tuesday) to find that just about everything is gone. Your bank account(s) wiped out completely. You have $5 in your pocket and now you must feed yourself until Friday.

In fact, I challenge anybody who wants to make such critical marks to do this. Put $5 in your pocket and feed yourself for the next 3 days on it. Do not eat or drink anything in your house. However, the last rule is that you must eat at least 3 meals a day and reach at, or above, your recommended caloric intake.

Old 12-16-2008, 07:13 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,247,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
Well. Being as how I was in a bad situation (yes, partly my fault), I can tell you that a healthy banana is just not as filling of a meal as "processed noodles". Like several of us have stated, some cheap extras *frozen bags of veggies, for instance* and not using the sodium-nasty packet can easily turn the $.25 packet of cheap noodles into semi-healthy entire meals.

And like I said, until you live in that situation, you don't know. I wouldn't call your statements to be insensitive - but I would put them on the same level as a "backseat driver" so to speak. I'm not trying to sound mean, but it is a lot easier to sit back and make judgement calls when not in the driver's seat having to decide when to make that turn, when to yield, when to push the pedal to the metal.

To give an idea, imagine coming home today (Tuesday) to find that just about everything is gone. Your bank account(s) wiped out completely. You have $5 in your pocket and now you must feed yourself until Friday.

In fact, I challenge anybody who wants to make such critical marks to do this. Put $5 in your pocket and feed yourself for the next 3 days on it. Do not eat or drink anything in your house. However, the last rule is that you must eat at least 3 meals a day and reach at, or above, your recommended caloric intake.
Try a banana and a glass of milk.
You will be full. I swear its like the magic breakfast filler.
Blend it all up with steel cut oats in a blender and you will be full as all h- e double hockey sticks.

Old 12-16-2008, 07:54 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,162,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Blend it all up with steel cut oats in a blender and you will be full as all h- e double hockey sticks.
Well, for starters, I'm lactose intolerant. Banana and milk is a surefire way for me to start painting toilets.

However, the banana and milk thing is a great breakfast. As for lunch and dinner - I don't think so. That's why we have instant noodles.

Currently, my personal fav is this bean vermicelli instant noodles (can't read Korean otherwise I could give you a brand) at $.59 a package. The entire package is only 204 calories and only 180mg of sodium which is a lot less than the so-called "Healthy Choice" so heavily loved. They have it at the Asian Grocer down the street from me.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:15 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,145,103 times
Quote:
I agree, but how much do those oats cost? And you can't eat that for every meal.

Old 12-17-2008, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
Well, for starters, I'm lactose intolerant. Banana and milk is a surefire way for me to start painting toilets.

However, the banana and milk thing is a great breakfast. As for lunch and dinner - I don't think so. That's why we have instant noodles.

Currently, my personal fav is this bean vermicelli instant noodles (can't read Korean otherwise I could give you a brand) at $.59 a package. The entire package is only 204 calories and only 180mg of sodium which is a lot less than the so-called "Healthy Choice" so heavily loved. They have it at the Asian Grocer down the street from me.
LOL!

well I guess it would be anti-filling for you then

I like those noodle things too. I haven't got them in awhile. I usually get this huge 5 dollar bag from the Asian grocer that sells restaurant sized stuff.

I think though if anyone is totally lost..Look to ethnic cooking that comes from less than privileged countries and you will find tons of stuff you can afford. My favorites are Chinese, Japanese, ♥MEXICAN♥, Indian.

Old 12-17-2008, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anadyr21 View Post
I agree, but how much do those oats cost? And you can't eat that for every meal.
Freakin cheap. You can get 2 pounds for about 5 bucks.

And if you want to be lazy about things Quaker oatmeals are cheap too and always going on sale. And you CAN eat that for every breakfast. You can also use oats as filler in meatloaf that you can have for lunch.

Old 12-17-2008, 06:35 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,145,103 times
Quote:
Freakin cheap. You can get 2 pounds for about 5 bucks.

And if you want to be lazy about things Quaker oatmeals are cheap too and always going on sale. And you CAN eat that for every breakfast. You can also use oats as filler in meatloaf that you can have for lunch.
Ew, I hate oatmeal (and dont get me started on the nastiness that is Cream of Wheat). I'd rather starve .
Quote:
Put $5 in your pocket and feed yourself for the next 3 days on it. Do not eat or drink anything in your house. However, the last rule is that you must eat at least 3 meals a day and reach at, or above, your recommended caloric intake.
Can that include sampling at Target Supercenter, Sam's and Whole Foods?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss