Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 09:01 PM

269 posts, read 913,335 times

Advertisements

For the poster who posted ... it's a myth you have to exercise to lose weight ... I have an even bigger myth for you ... it's a myth you don't have to exercise to lose weight. If you take in x amount of calories and never exercise, initially you will see weight loss but then your body will adjust accordingly and compensate for that calorie deficit ...and that's when you will hit a plateau. Exercising properly you get muscle, muscle burns calories while you sleep ... fat doesn't. OP go to calories per hour . com it will explain to you why exercise is important as well as healthy choices ... and not some bizarre diet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 09:04 PM

931 posts, read 3,801,332 times
Someone who is extremely over weight can lose 10-15lbs by just changing the foods they eat and without doing any exercise.

However, in order to lose any more substantial weight, you must incorporate exercise.

Old 01-27-2009, 09:06 PM

269 posts, read 913,335 times
How long will that weigth stay off then?

Old 01-27-2009, 09:08 PM

931 posts, read 3,801,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txhawk36 View Post
How long will that weigth stay off then?
The 10-15lbs? Well as long as they continue the healthy diet. They might even lose a little more. If they go back to their normal eating, it will all come back + more.

Old 01-27-2009, 09:08 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,439,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BramleyDinnes View Post
Hello everyone,

I am a working executive, working long hours and addicted to fast food, usually eating while I'm in the office. I seem to eat whether I'm hungry or not and have got to a stage where I am unable to control my eating habit. Unfortunately, my weight is increasing and I'm being forced to buy clothes a size larger than normal. I can devote a little time to exercise, but is there a recommended safe way to lose weight? I've heard of all these diets, such as Atkins, that don't sound very healthy at all.
Just order vegetables and salads or meats. Tell them no potatoes! And drink water during dinner. Alcohol makes you drink more.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:28 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,633,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txhawk36 View Post
For the poster who posted ... it's a myth you have to exercise to lose weight ... I have an even bigger myth for you ... it's a myth you don't have to exercise to lose weight. If you take in x amount of calories and never exercise, initially you will see weight loss but then your body will adjust accordingly and compensate for that calorie deficit ...and that's when you will hit a plateau. Exercising properly you get muscle, muscle burns calories while you sleep ... fat doesn't. OP go to calories per hour . com it will explain to you why exercise is important as well as healthy choices ... and not some bizarre diet.
I agree with the first part. The human body is very quick to adapt. If you cut calories, you'll initially lose weight. But it won't be long after your body adjusts and learns to make due with fewer calories. The idea that you don't have to exercise to lose weight is a myth. If something's too good to be true, it usually is.

The only part of your post I would dispute is about muscle building. Muscle does burn more calories than fat. But there are two problems with trying to gain muscle as a means of losing fat. One is that gaining muscle requires taking in more calories whereas losing fat requires taking in less. These goals run in conflict of one another. The other problem is that muscle doesn't burn as many calories as people think. That's another myth that's really taken root. It still burns more than fat, but the impact has been overstated. If your goal is to lose fat, then you should exercise for two reasons. One is to maintain the muscle that you have and the other is to create a bigger caloric deficit without slowing down your metabolism.

Old 01-28-2009, 01:21 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,245,644 times
Ok I see you haven't learned the magic of calorie shifting. I HAD to do this because I had to lose weight without regular exercise.

When I dropped inch wise again I would maintain every day for a month or two depending on what my body liked. It was easier to hold a steady weight when my body fat was lower and my weight was lower.
I got all the way down to the 130's this way with the proper amt of body fat %. (20-22%)

I exercised here and there but it was in no means a religion. Basically just a few weeks with stints here and there when I was in the 140s doing HITT.

After that you cant lose much weight without exercise unless you eat perfectly. I cant do the large cuts anymore. Anything under 1000-1200 for a female would of stalled me out.

Another thing I personally notice...Its nice to save the muscle rebuild for post loss. When you increase your calories from a calorie cut place you metabolism will be slower and you can turn those bumped up calories into muscle with lifting and resistance your body will respond to FAST because it hasn't been doing it all through the diet. Besides the more muscle than fat burning thing is about 15%...
If you lost 15% more its not really much if you wont stick to what you are doing.

Cardio takes out muscle too if you dont have the nutritional support or overextend yourself . So if you are really looking to maintain on a diet you should just lift and not look to lose more than 1 lb per week. Keep your cardio to 30-60 minutes 5-6 days a week.

I just wanted the weight off because of pain. its a lot easier/more desirable to exercise now than when I was bigger. If someone told me I had to exercise to lose weight when I started I would of probably just quit right then and there. But I did it my own tweaked way and got exactly what I wanted without making myself miserable all the way.

Old 01-30-2009, 01:46 PM

2 posts, read 3,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
Wake up tomorrow morning and have a cup of black coffee -- no sugar or cream.

And then pat yourself on the back. You've just taken your first step!
I like that! That's great. very true!!

Old 02-07-2009, 05:01 AM

4 posts, read 11,462 times
Default Detox the junk food

My girlfriend has always been obsessed and miserable about watching her weight. After trying umpteen number of things following are the 2 that eventually did produce good and reasonably results for her and made her happy:

[url=http://jughead123.xhmtl.hop.clickbank.net/?tid=1]The Master Cleanse Book Everyone's Raving About[/url]

[url=http://jughead123.thedsp.hop.clickbank.net/?tid=1]Best Diet Program, Healthy Meal Plans, Eating for Weight Loss, Health Foods[/url]

I think one of the above is actually about undoing the effects of junk food.

Old 02-07-2009, 07:00 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,573,417 times
I recently lost 45 pounds (Over a 3 year period)) by eating healthy. I could eat anything I wanted, I just choose NOT to. While on the diet I discovered something that shocked me... When I ate carbs or drank a soda, the next day, my appitite was out of control and I was so hungry, I just shoved the food in without a thought.

How about taking at least 5 pieces of fresh fruit to work with you and eat that when you get hungry? Have a BIG salad for lunch (no bacon bits or croutons and limmited salad dressing)...

While on my diet, I avoided fast food and processed foods, made everything from scratch myself so I could control what was in what I ate.

Once you make up your mind to do it, you can loose the weight.. do NOT set a time frame on loosing weight... like I said, I did it over 3 years. Once I reached my goal weight, I had enjoyed eating like I was for so long that I continued to eat like that and lost more weight than I planned. I had planned to stop loosing at 130# and have finally figured out how to maintain my weight at 122# for the last 6 months. I STILL have to watch my carb intake or I will eat everything in sight the next day without a thought.

What you eat/drink CAN make you hungry so figure out which foods make you hungry and avoid them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss