U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 03:01 AM

1 posts, read 2,289 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I am a working executive, working long hours and addicted to fast food, usually eating while I'm in the office. I seem to eat whether I'm hungry or not and have got to a stage where I am unable to control my eating habit. Unfortunately, my weight is increasing and I'm being forced to buy clothes a size larger than normal. I can devote a little time to exercise, but is there a recommended safe way to lose weight? I've heard of all these diets, such as Atkins, that don't sound very healthy at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 04:34 AM

2,937 posts, read 4,543,062 times
See my current thread titled "I'm doing it the right way......". You have to make a complete change. Fad diets are going to be a waste of your time. I was going through the same thing you are until my body and mind finally had enough.

It's not easy, but once you start it does wonders for you physically and mentally.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:51 AM

4,589 posts, read 11,972,523 times
You can the problem is you don't want to.....your still getting a satisfying payoff from it. You have to choose to stop and become healthy. Until you actually make that choice for yourself your kinda stuck.

Old 01-09-2009, 11:16 AM

2,970 posts, read 6,268,522 times
Why don't you bring in homemade meals instead?

Old 01-09-2009, 12:04 PM

37,118 posts, read 45,641,400 times
You are very lucky, since you can easily cut out junk food and the weight will fall off. You can either make the choice or not. What's stopping you? Does someone tie you up and make you go to the drive-thru?
If you are eating fast foods when you aren't even hungry, you've got a lot more to worry about than whether Atkins is healthy or not.
If you live on this planet and have eyes and ears, you already know what to eat and what not to eat. As I said, you wouldn't need to do much to lose weight. No fried foods, no soda, no sugar, no sauces, and I wouldn't eat cheese either-it's just too high in calories. Eat as many fruits and vegetables as you want and eat enough protein so you aren't hungry... Piece of cake (but only on your birthday).

Old 01-09-2009, 12:12 PM

3,031 posts, read 8,046,017 times
Easy. If you eat too much junk food -- then don't buy it!

Old 01-09-2009, 01:31 PM

8,415 posts, read 35,322,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BramleyDinnes View Post
Hello everyone,

I am a working executive, working long hours and addicted to fast food, usually eating while I'm in the office. I seem to eat whether I'm hungry or not and have got to a stage where I am unable to control my eating habit. Unfortunately, my weight is increasing and I'm being forced to buy clothes a size larger than normal. I can devote a little time to exercise, but is there a recommended safe way to lose weight? I've heard of all these diets, such as Atkins, that don't sound very healthy at all.
Its a myth that you have to exercise to lose weight.
You just need to eat less than you burn. Count you calories or just go by the simple rule of eating 1800-2000 calories a day. Thats just healthy eating that covers your needs. Its easier to wean off chemically addictive food like that. You are not crazy. There are elements in that food that make you crave it etc. If you REALLY like fast food. Just make your choices reasonable.
I know I will never give it up totally myself so I just eat smaller amount when I get it. The funny thing is that eating reasonable sizes kinda makes me want other things because I can eat more food without getting fatter.

But anyway..The fast food calories are right one the box. Just get a little sheet of paper to write down how much you are eating and change it slowly.

I suggest to look up "spark people diet"

It will help. Plus the exercises are there for free too if you want to do them.

If you are feeling really zealous look into a little weekend detox. It really does help with those bad food cravings.

Old 01-09-2009, 05:04 PM

5,500 posts, read 20,068,246 times
Wake up tomorrow morning and have a cup of black coffee -- no sugar or cream.

And then pat yourself on the back. You've just taken your first step!

Old 01-11-2009, 04:26 PM

8,233 posts, read 11,275,050 times
Check out Pranic Healing... Master Cho does a technique that works. It is hard to explain and there will be many that think its BS, but I can tell you first hand it works. I adored cookies and was at a workshop and I did the practice with cookies... now I could care less about them, the addiction is gone. It works for smoking foods or other things. check it out. He travels the country giving free lectures and some at a charge but it will fix your issue.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:55 PM

931 posts, read 3,469,542 times
Stop going out to eat.

I am 99.9% you are buying this stuff on credit card or debit card.

Stop using your card to buy food. Only use cash. Look at the money you spend on this junk.

Breakfast is the easiest thing in the world to make.

Check out this thread for a new breakfast:

What should I eat for breakfast?

For lunch, you can still go out, but hit the salad bar at a grocery store.

If you are sitting in a chair all day, you don't need a lot of food.

Drink water all day. Always have water at your desk, When you are hungry, drink a glass of water.

After lunch, go for a walk around the building or parking lot. Bring coworkers with you. "Come with me or you are fired!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss