Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2009, 11:06 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,414,745 times

Advertisements

I baked a huge ham, so of course I have a ton of leftovers and was looking to see if I could fit it into my everyday diet. I never thought of ham as a lean meat, but I just looked at calories on the package and I swear it says 3 oz (lean only, fat separated off) is 100 calories. Skinless chicken breast is around 150 calories for 3 ounces, isn't it? How can ham possibly have fewer calories than chicken? Or am I reading the package wrong? I have been known to do that.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 11:26 AM

1,828 posts, read 3,775,505 times
Any kind of meat, unless it is fried in fat,is not that high in calories.

Old 01-12-2009, 12:10 PM

17,876 posts, read 27,269,911 times
I don't see it on the nuitrition guide on the site, but Schwans gives ratings for the low calorie and low fat foods and the sliced ham tops the list and is even in fact lower than the boneless, skinless chicken breasts.

Here's Customer's Ratings for the product you're talking about, sliced ham.

Old 01-12-2009, 01:38 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,165,779 times
Ham is really low cal. Just don't eat the fat or the sugar coatings.

Calories in Ham, Sliced, Regular

Its 50 cals for a regular slice. It was one of my first calorie surprises too.

Old 01-12-2009, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
I don't see it on the nuitrition guide on the site, but Schwans gives ratings for the low calorie and low fat foods and the sliced ham tops the list and is even in fact lower than the boneless, skinless chicken breasts.

Here's Customer's Ratings for the product you're talking about, sliced ham.
Wow, amazing! I just finished packaging it up for the freezer in 9 oz, 300 calorie portions. I'll be eating well for about 2 years. Okay, I guess it wasn't that big a ham, but there's a LOT in the freezer.

Old 01-12-2009, 02:52 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,287,460 times
at some people, people got this idea that red meat like pork and beef are just plain bad for you and poultry and fish are the only healthy choices for meat out there, which just isn't true. some cuts of beef and pork are jut as lean/leaner than certain cuts of a chicken. I learned this a while back b/c I too thought pork and beef were evil (thank god I can enjoy pork chops again!)

I think one problem w/ ham is that it's often baked covered w/ honey and brown sugar and even maple syrup, which can up the calories

Old 01-12-2009, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Ham is really low cal. Just don't eat the fat or the sugar coatings.

Calories in Ham, Sliced, Regular

Its 50 cals for a regular slice. It was one of my first calorie surprises too.
ooh, that's an interesting site, good info!

Old 01-12-2009, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
at some people, people got this idea that red meat like pork and beef are just plain bad for you and poultry and fish are the only healthy choices for meat out there, which just isn't true. some cuts of beef and pork are jut as lean/leaner than certain cuts of a chicken. I learned this a while back b/c I too thought pork and beef were evil (thank god I can enjoy pork chops again!)

I think one problem w/ ham is that it's often baked covered w/ honey and brown sugar and even maple syrup, which can up the calories
Luckily, I hate sweet meat with a passion. I do not understand how people can choke down honey hams. My mother used to bake regular smoked ham with a pineapple glaze that was like pineapple ice cream topping. Yuck! Then for leftovers she'd fry it up in slices, dump a bunch of brown sugar on each slice and put a pineapple ring (which ahd been fried in butter) on top. No wonder my siblings and I grew up obese.

Eevee, do you happen to know which cuts of beef are lowest in calories?

Old 01-12-2009, 09:25 PM

can't remember right now, but there are a few books and websites (the site pitt_transplant linked to looks great and has some info) w/ this info. if I'm remembering correctly, tenderloin (beef and/or pork) is supposed to be quite lean. I honestly have issues keeping all the different names for parts straight in my head!

Old 01-13-2009, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
can't remember right now, but there are a few books and websites (the site pitt_transplant linked to looks great and has some info) w/ this info. if I'm remembering correctly, tenderloin (beef and/or pork) is supposed to be quite lean. I honestly have issues keeping all the different names for parts straight in my head!
Me too. I've tried to figure it out before, but all the different cuts confuzzle me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss