U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 02:01 PM

523 posts, read 1,938,085 times
Default Difference between fat and bloating?

I am a 32 year old female and I work out 4-5 days a week (weight lifting and cardio) and I'm about 16% body fat. My problem is that my lower abdomen almost always pooches out to some extent. If I clench my muscles, you can see 4-6 ab muscles but otherwise, my stomach sticks out. It can range from nearly flat to 3 months pregnant looking on a day to day basis. I've done a billion crunches, eat quite well--a lot of fruit, vegetables, lean meat, very little bread, etc, and overall am very toned. I'm wondering if maybe I'm just bloated most of the time or if it's fat. How do I tell the difference? And if it's bloating, how do I make it go away? It's really annoying because I have been working out and eating well for many years and it's a pain to have to keep my stomach muscles clenched every time I wear a bikini. It's also very out of proportion to be so small and toned everywhere except the stomach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 11:48 AM

8,424 posts, read 23,806,424 times
Did you have kids? Have you had a full check up lately?

Old 02-03-2009, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Did you have kids? Have you had a full check up lately?
Nope, never had kids and I'm definitely not pregnant. I've been this way for as long as I can remember. It probably sounds a lot grosser than it really is and usually it's mild to moderate fat/bloating (whichever one it is) but on some days, I'm definitely bloated on top of the regular (fat/bloating) and it's gross. Either way, it makes me self conscious and I want it to go away!

I have been to a gastroenterologist several times and he wasn't able to tell me either way and no medication seems to affect it.

Old 02-03-2009, 04:04 PM

931 posts, read 2,591,179 times
fat = fat
bloated = you need to go to the bathroom but can't

You can't spot reduce fat. If you want to it to go away, lower your food intake and increase your exercise.

Old 02-03-2009, 04:40 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,491,327 times
You may also be allergic to Gluten. A good portion of the population is and a lower belly pouch is one of the signs. Cut out products containing grains for a few weeks and see how your body responds. In fact I would cut out a lot of carbs all together. 90% of the time that does the trick.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:09 AM

917 posts, read 1,480,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanCutHippie View Post
You may also be allergic to Gluten. A good portion of the population is and a lower belly pouch is one of the signs. Cut out products containing grains for a few weeks and see how your body responds. In fact I would cut out a lot of carbs all together. 90% of the time that does the trick.
Just exactly what is gluten and what is it in? Is it in ALL bread? crackers? Basicly baked goods or more then that?

Old 02-04-2009, 08:55 AM

8,424 posts, read 23,806,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anu2 View Post
Nope, never had kids and I'm definitely not pregnant. I've been this way for as long as I can remember. It probably sounds a lot grosser than it really is and usually it's mild to moderate fat/bloating (whichever one it is) but on some days, I'm definitely bloated on top of the regular (fat/bloating) and it's gross. Either way, it makes me self conscious and I want it to go away!

I have been to a gastroenterologist several times and he wasn't able to tell me either way and no medication seems to affect it.
Try a fiber supplement and cut out any breads or sweets that you don't really care for. Fruit is ok(just sweets like cakes,candy etc are bad). Stop drinking fake sugars too. Stevia doesn't bloat most people like the splenda & equal if you need a sweetener.

Have 1 liter of smart water everyday and break up your meals, don't eat 2 hours before bed (digestion slows at sleep and can create a poof)The smart water because I have to wonder with all the working out if you are just always a little dehydrated. You will notice instant results if thats what you need.

If that way doesn't work then I try the absolute gluten free eating. It makes anyone look better but I know myself its not cheap or easy to do with certain lifestyles.

How did you have your body fat tested?
Do you think you eat enough calories/carbs/protein grams?

Old 02-04-2009, 11:38 AM

1,105 posts, read 2,491,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann in Oriental View Post
Just exactly what is gluten and what is it in? Is it in ALL bread? crackers? Basicly baked goods or more then that?
Its a protein found in certain grains. It is in most breads and baked goods which I dont recommend eating no matter who you are. I don't care if its whole grains or not. Whole Grains contain something called "anti-nutrients" aren't good either and like all other carbs turn to sugar in the blood. Honestly I would just cut out grains and simple carbs for a few weeks. I am almost certain you will see a drastic improvement.

Old 02-04-2009, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post

How did you have your body fat tested?
Do you think you eat enough calories/carbs/protein grams?

I have my body fat tested about once every 6 months or so by the owner/personal trainer at my gym. He uses calipers which I know aren't exact but even when I've done it the electrical ones (type in my hands or one built into a scale), it's in the same range. I think underwater body fat testing is the only way to get exact results but that's not happening. I'm pretty sure ~ 16% is correct. One can barely pinch any fat on me anywhere and I'm overall in great shape and very strong for a female (can do standard pullups and pushups no problem). I even have pictures of me in a bikini and you can see my ab muscles but if I weren't standing up very straight and clenching a little, my stomach would look fat. It's very weird.

I eat plenty of calories per day (2,000-2,500) and try to eat "good carbs" for the most part and I've always eaten a ton of protein. I will admit that in the past I have eaten white rice nearly every day, though, so that could be an issue. I have decided to try to cut out white rice altogether to see if that helps and I'm trying not to snack on anything like candy or other sugary foods.

Last edited by Anu2; 02-04-2009 at 01:21 PM..

Old 02-04-2009, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanCutHippie View Post
Its a protein found in certain grains. It is in most breads and baked goods which I dont recommend eating no matter who you are. I don't care if its whole grains or not. Whole Grains contain something called "anti-nutrients" aren't good either and like all other carbs turn to sugar in the blood. Honestly I would just cut out grains and simple carbs for a few weeks. I am almost certain you will see a drastic improvement.
I wouldn't mind cutting out grains and carbs for a while to see what happens but I cook a lot and have no idea how I would substitute...for instance, if I do any Asian food, with the meat and vegetable stir fry, I always have rice or noodles. What else could I do? I tried just eating the stirfry meat and vegetables the other day but it wasn't satisfying and I was still hungry so I ended up eating a spinach salad and then yogurt afterwards to fill myself up. I am planning on making lamb tonight for dinner and I'll just have a salad with that. It's really hard at lunch time, though--other than always cooking and bringing in food, what sort of quick meals can I buy at lunchtime that would satisfy the no grain/no simple carb requirements other than salads (which don't fill me up on their own)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss