Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 11:04 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times

Advertisements

^^^^^ I wish I were 21 again. Life was so much simpler when I knew everything.

Seriously though, metabolism changes with age. In addition, three pregnancies close together, with C-section deliveries, followed by caring for three young children for years, is going to take a toll on a body. Add in lack of time and sleep deprivation and things get extra tricky. Right about the time you get on top of that, middle age and/or menopause kicks in.

There are plenty of people who stay in shape through all of that, but it requires a huge committment and not everyone has the means to do it.

In any event, regarding your comment to lisalan about not "ranting" to her because she doesn't look overweight in her profile pic, I was wondering if you'd post yours so the rest of us could decide whether we wanted to rant to you about anything or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2010, 11:45 AM

1,904 posts, read 3,987,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post

Seriously though, metabolism changes with age. In addition, three pregnancies close together, with C-section deliveries, followed by caring for three young children for years, is going to take a toll on a body. Add in lack of time and sleep deprivation and things get extra tricky. Right about the time you get on top of that, middle age and/or menopause kicks in.

There are plenty of people who stay in shape through all of that, but it requires a huge committment and not everyone has the means to do it.

In any event, regarding your comment to lisalan about not "ranting" to her because she doesn't look overweight in her profile pic, I was wondering if you'd post yours so the rest of us could decide whether we wanted to rant to you about anything or not.
Let's not lose sight of the fact that the obesity epidemic in this country has nothing - ok extremely little - to do with c-section deliveries, slowed metabolisms, etc and everything to do with poor nutrition, lack of exercise and general laziness.

Sportsgeek20 may not have stated it in the most PC way but much of the problem is about people making excuses.

Old 10-14-2010, 11:55 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSoxFanGoingWest View Post
Let's not lose sight of the fact that the obesity epidemic in this country has nothing - ok extremely little - to do with c-section deliveries, slowed metabolisms, etc and everything to do with poor nutrition, lack of exercise and general laziness.

Sportsgeek20 may not have stated it in the most PC way but much of the problem is about people making excuses.
I agree with you for the most part. It was mostly his attitude that I was taking issue with.

Old 10-14-2010, 02:18 PM

610 posts, read 1,295,349 times
Political cerrectness is not my strongsuit. I'll admit that.
Redsox gave the message I intended, in a better way and that's it.

I'm gonna say good luck with getting true to yourselves, when you do, you'll see the c-secs, genetics etc isn't impossible mountains to climb, but sets of obstacles to conquer on your way to great health, I never called it easy, I never will, but the tougher the game, the prouder the win!
I hope i put it in a better way this time, Good luck.

Old 10-15-2010, 07:31 AM

1,904 posts, read 3,987,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsgeek20 View Post
Political cerrectness is not my strongsuit. I'll admit that.
Redsox gave the message I intended, in a better way and that's it.

I'm gonna say good luck with getting true to yourselves, when you do, you'll see the c-secs, genetics etc isn't impossible mountains to climb, but sets of obstacles to conquer on your way to great health, I never called it easy, I never will, but the tougher the game, the prouder the win!
I hope i put it in a better way this time, Good luck.
Well said.

Old 10-15-2010, 04:34 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,334,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post

Thanks Marlow. That profile pic was taken when my second was a little over a year old. That picture is about 2 years old. Since then I have had another baby and they're only 23 months apart. My third pregnancy took an even greater toll on my body. I am not obese but I am not at the weight I would like to be. I need to lose about 20 pounds.
Men will never understand what a toll pregnancy takes on your body and I don't sleep so that is screwing up my body as well.

Old 10-16-2010, 10:42 AM

610 posts, read 1,295,349 times
U'll take 10 lbs just be smart about what you do and don't give up if you hit a plateu for a little while.

what's you diet and workout plan?

Old 10-16-2010, 01:33 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,334,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsgeek20 View Post
U'll take 10 lbs just be smart about what you do and don't give up if you hit a plateu for a little while.

what's you diet and workout plan?
Sorry I don't understand what you mean about 10 lbs. I want to lose 20. I've been doing the 30 day shred and I have cut out all soda to start.

Old 10-16-2010, 01:49 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,670,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txsizzler View Post
First off, I wasn't "cap" screaming at you, was merely making points about what you said. True "cap" screaming is when you have full sentences, paragraphs, that have all caps.
Care to link me to a definition?

Quote:
Secondly, as you can see in your original post, you said "anyone over the age of 35", and that "you are describing a fantasy outside of America", when in reality, there are alot of people over the age of 35 that can eat what they want, without working out, and not having overweight issues. So, even though you didn't say "everybody", you sure as heck meant it, given "anyone over the age of 35".
Please. It is highly unusual to continue a diet of nachos and ho-hos over the age and 35 and to not have adverse physical affects. And in America in particular, the diet of an "I'll eat whatever I want" would be so chocked full of high processed foods... oh please. Don't be silly. It is being ridiculous and unrealistic to suggest otherwise. If that weren't true, 60+% of all adults wouldn't be overweight to obese. The majority is overweight for a good reason. Common sense, my man. Give it a try. It won't hurt you.

Old 10-16-2010, 02:30 PM

1,678 posts, read 4,010,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
Care to link me to a definition? .
No need to. A few words in caps is hardly screaming. Perhaps mildly intimidating, but not screaming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
Please. It is highly unusual to continue a diet of nachos and ho-hos over the age and 35 and to not have adverse physical affects. And in America in particular, the diet of an "I'll eat whatever I want" would be so chocked full of high processed foods... oh please. Don't be silly. It is being ridiculous and unrealistic to suggest otherwise. If that weren't true, 60+% of all adults wouldn't be overweight to obese. The majority is overweight for a good reason. Common sense, my man. Give it a try. It won't hurt you.
Wow.. way to rationalize what I said. Its as if you think the diet is completely made up of nachos and ho-hos. You seemed to forget about all the other things the "average" person eats here in America, besides the junk you just mentioned. I certainly did not advocate the lousy diets many overweight people have. I am just pointing out that not EVERYBODY (damn those caps!) fits your description, which, in your prior posts, seem to think they do. And, my dear lady, that is common sense . Perhaps you would care to give it a try? I will even hold the door open for you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss