Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 05:12 PM

155 posts, read 252,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
B12 shots are only good for people who are deficient in vitamin B12, which most people are NOT.
So true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 11:28 AM

4 posts, read 31,657 times
B12 does not cause weight loss. Rather, it creates an environment conducive to weight loss by providing massive increases in energy. B12 is a key ingredient in 5-Hour energy, and for good reason. Administered IM or SQ, the vitamin's effects are amplified. Basically, people with more energy are less sedentary and therefore burn more calories. If you get the increase in energy and just sit around doing nothing, you won't lose much, if any.
For the record, this is coming from a guy who has lost 114lbs as of this morning, and B12 has been a key part of that. If you're looking for weight loss injections, I would recommend seeking out a local HCG clinic and supplementing with B12. You can order your own B12 online, and including syringes it ends up being about $3 per ML/CC injection initially, then drops closer to $2 once you have already bought the box of 100 syringes. Get the 31g 5/16" 1cc insulin syringes for maximum comfort.

Last edited by CEMock; 05-09-2012 at 11:46 AM.. Reason: More info.

Old 05-09-2012, 04:42 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEMock View Post
B12 does not cause weight loss. Rather, it creates an environment conducive to weight loss by providing massive increases in energy. B12 is a key ingredient in 5-Hour energy, and for good reason. Administered IM or SQ, the vitamin's effects are amplified. Basically, people with more energy are less sedentary and therefore burn more calories. If you get the increase in energy and just sit around doing nothing, you won't lose much, if any.
For the record, this is coming from a guy who has lost 114lbs as of this morning, and B12 has been a key part of that. If you're looking for weight loss injections, I would recommend seeking out a local HCG clinic and supplementing with B12. You can order your own B12 online, and including syringes it ends up being about $3 per ML/CC injection initially, then drops closer to $2 once you have already bought the box of 100 syringes. Get the 31g 5/16" 1cc insulin syringes for maximum comfort.
B12 does not cause weight loss. You do not need it if you are not deficient.
5-Hour Energy contains caffeine. You'd get the same results from coffee.
HCG does not cause weight loss.

Old 05-09-2012, 05:01 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,812,763 times
Quote:
I have no idea what your program was in order to lose all that weight (by the way, congrats!), but B12 was not part of it. B12 does not help you lose weight, and if you are not deficient in it then it does ZERO.
As far as HCG goes, its nothing but an expensive and sometimes dangerous scam.

Old 05-09-2012, 05:55 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,563,757 times
I always thought B12 shots were for pernicious anemia. I worked in internal medicine years ago and that was the diagnosis that covered the shots.

Old 05-10-2012, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
B12 does not cause weight loss. You do not need it if you are not deficient.
5-Hour Energy contains caffeine. You'd get the same results from coffee.
HCG does not cause weight loss.
1. What's in a 5-hour ENERGY® shot? Who'd have thought that a consumer-level product would contain more than one ingredient?

2. Nothing causes weight loss. If you eat like an athlete but don't work out, you won't lose much weight. If you work out but eat like a pig, you won't lose much weight. Weight loss is a lifestyle thing, not any one thing. HCG and B-12 help when combined with a specific regimen, but neither one of them actually "burn fat." In my own experience, they are merely force multipliers.

3. Numbers? You seem to have such strong opinions, but can you back them up against the 2lbs I lost in the last 24 hours, bringing the total loss to 116? Have you tried an HCG clinic or regimen?

Maybe I wasn't clear enough. B-12, as I said in the first sentence of my original post does NOT cause weight loss. It merely increases energy. Saying you don't need it if you're not B-12 deficient is (in this context) like saying you don't need caffeine if you're not caffeine deficient. B-12 for weight loss is not about what you need, and B-12 does not burn the fat for you (Good Lord, I feel redundant saying this, but apparently once wasn't enough), it just gives you a boost of energy which is amplified through intramuscular/subcutaneous injection resulting in a tendency toward more activities. These activities are what burn the fat.

As for HCG, if you have weight to lose, try it out. Follow the program, do the injections and see how much weight you lose. The HCG does not burn fat, it's just a force multiplier to a VLCD that causes a release of stored fat and prevents starvation mode thereby mitigating loss of lean mass.

Again, if you have other information, show me some numbers.

Old 05-10-2012, 06:15 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,812,763 times
Quote:
1. What's in a 5-hour ENERGY® shot? Who'd have thought that a consumer-level product would contain more than one ingredient?

2. Nothing causes weight loss. If you eat like an athlete but don't work out, you won't lose much weight. If you work out but eat like a pig, you won't lose much weight. Weight loss is a lifestyle thing, not any one thing. HCG and B-12 help when combined with a specific regimen, but neither one of them actually "burn fat." In my own experience, they are merely force multipliers.

3. Numbers? You seem to have such strong opinions, but can you back them up against the 2lbs I lost in the last 24 hours, bringing the total loss to 116? Have you tried an HCG clinic or regimen?

Maybe I wasn't clear enough. B-12, as I said in the first sentence of my original post does NOT cause weight loss. It merely increases energy. Saying you don't need it if you're not B-12 deficient is (in this context) like saying you don't need caffeine if you're not caffeine deficient. B-12 for weight loss is not about what you need, and B-12 does not burn the fat for you (Good Lord, I feel redundant saying this, but apparently once wasn't enough), it just gives you a boost of energy which is amplified through intramuscular/subcutaneous injection resulting in a tendency toward more activities. These activities are what burn the fat.

As for HCG, if you have weight to lose, try it out. Follow the program, do the injections and see how much weight you lose. The HCG does not burn fat, it's just a force multiplier to a VLCD that causes a release of stored fat and prevents starvation mode thereby mitigating loss of lean mass.

B12 does not give you any energy. It only helps if you are deficient in it. Period. HCG is a scam. But hey its your life and your money.
Personally I do not think you are giving yourself enough credit for your weight loss. You did it, not your bogus supplements. Why give credit to the placebos?

Old 05-10-2012, 06:27 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:

Vitamin B12 will not do anything to "increase energy". If you are not deficient in B12 for some reason, taking extra does nothing.

HCG does not cause weight loss. Eating 500 calories per day causes weight loss, a significant amount of which is muscle, not fat.

B12 and HCG are placebos, for weight loss, nothing more. They do nothing but make the cash registers ring for the people who sell them.

How many calories per day are you eating? What are you doing for exercise?

Old 05-10-2012, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
B12 does not give you any energy. It only helps if you are deficient in it. Period. HCG is a scam. But hey its your life and your money.
Personally I do not think you are giving yourself enough credit for your weight loss. You did it, not your bogus supplements. Why give credit to the placebos?
The biggest reason for giving credit is for the lack of progress with other supplements or without any. Again, try posting numbers to support your opinions.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Vitamin B12 will not do anything to "increase energy". If you are not deficient in B12 for some reason, taking extra does nothing.

HCG does not cause weight loss. Eating 500 calories per day causes weight loss, a significant amount of which is muscle, not fat.

B12 and HCG are placebos, for weight loss, nothing more. They do nothing but make the cash registers ring for the people who sell them.

How many calories per day are you eating? What are you doing for exercise?
Have lost no strength as evident in my 3x/wk weightlifting regimen, and through weekly body comp. analysis I have lost no muscle. Of course, with HCG, it is accompanied by VLCD (<500cal). B12 increases energy. There would be no reason for the people at 5-Hour to put 500mcg of it in their drinks otherwise. Of course, I wouldn't have to tell you this if you had ever had one.

Again Suzy, if you are unable to present a study or experience to the contrary (as in real numbers, not just opinions stated as facts), then you hold very little sway with someone who has used B12 and HCG in the course of losing literally a whole person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss