Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 05:07 PM

188 posts, read 662,854 times

Advertisements

I'm 41 and wear a size 2-4. About 6 years ago I lost 43 pounds and SO FAR (fingers crossed) it has not come back on. I have not had to decrease my calories much yet, but that's because I lift weights and do interval cardio. I also weigh, measure and track my food - keeps me in line! fitday or mydailyplate.com + a food scale would be a good place to start. And lift weights!

(disclaimer, I have not had kids. This may have helped as well).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 08:41 PM

37,608 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherz View Post
I'm 41 and wear a size 2-4. About 6 years ago I lost 43 pounds and SO FAR (fingers crossed) it has not come back on. I have not had to decrease my calories much yet, but that's because I lift weights and do interval cardio. I also weigh, measure and track my food - keeps me in line! fitday or mydailyplate.com + a food scale would be a good place to start. And lift weights!

You are very lucky. I am older than you, eat about half what I used to, do 30 min or more of high intensity cardio (running, eliptical, step mill) and 2 or 3 strength training workouts a week. I am at the gym almost every day, and I work out HARD. But I have to watch every morsel that goes in my mouth, darn it!

Old 04-23-2009, 06:30 AM

756 posts, read 2,219,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
Hi, I'm 40 year old and can't have kids or a period but I'm a size 4 to 6! 5' 4" tall and 149.4 lbs today! I was once a size 16 / 205 lbs but I road biked 5030 miles to go down to 139 lbs and kept it off for 5 years between 140 to 152 lbs! But road biking takes time to work out! I combine it with commuting errands to save gas, time, and money and get a workout!

But this year I'm experimenting with weightlifting to build muscle to increase my metabolism so I just become a fat burning machine because of my muscles! I'm eating badly, cookies, candies, big dinners, etc... and it seems under control but if I need to lose some I'll hit a weightlifting / road biking session!

Yeah, size 10 is a porker! You'd probably look sexy in a size 6! Gladly I'm still a size 4 to 6!
I don't know where you shop for clothes, but I am 5'3'' and 149 pounds and wear a size 10. 8 if it's a VERY generous 8. NO WAY is 150 pounds a size 4-6 in America!

To the OP, I have gradually put on weight throughout my late 30's and I do have thyroid and hormone "issues". Yes, peri, pre menopause will slow down your metabolism and make losing weight difficult. Every time I cut out carbs and lost weight I gained it right back. I think cutting carbs out completely messes with our metabolism. Continue to cut back on the bad carbs and sugar if you can. Eat whole grain or small portions of pasta if you enjoy it.

More exercise. Try adding at least 1 or 2 fruit and/or veggies to each meal. That has helped me a lot. It feels so healthy to eat them, I don't want to follow with junk food. Same with exercising - on days I do it, I eat much better.

I understand your frustration!

Last edited by usmcfamily; 04-23-2009 at 06:40 AM.. Reason: Typos!

Old 04-23-2009, 05:28 PM

473 posts, read 1,517,785 times
I've just experienced a drastic change, too. I'm 46, normally 140 with a 5'3" frame. I've gained 40 pounds in 6 months! I'm eating less (yes, I'm keeping track) and am more active than I've been in the last 10 to 15 years. I can't lose no matter what I do.

I've had the thyroid test and all is normal. I feel something is really off, but it's hard to convince anyone. They all assume I eat like a pig.

All that's changed is I was put on Estradiol for perimenopause. If that's what's doing it, I'd rather be thin with hot flashes!

Old 04-23-2009, 05:54 PM

562 posts, read 2,403,290 times
Bummer dragonfly! I know how you feel, I'm certain that I'm not being a pig, but my female relatives are all giving me the look! You know, like "honey lay off the cookies!"

By the way,the poster who can wear a size 6 at 148 lbs and 5'4" is packing a secret! Come on Jesse you skinny B! Fess up, we all know your hormones are on your side!Plus it helps to be hip free.

I am exercising almost every day, and eating very little in the evening besides my healthy eating and cutting out the usual suspects- sugar , bad carbs, fatty foods. I'll just have to see where I end up. Ya know, I had to starve myself to be 123 lbs in my late 20's, but starving myself to be 139 seems less worthwhile. Ay,ay,ay....

Old 04-24-2009, 01:28 PM

137 posts, read 474,645 times
I have done one thing over the last three weeks that I had not done since I was in my 20's---counting calories. It is a pain to log every food and every number, but I am sticking to it and I have to admit that I am losing weight. My shorts and jeans are fitting better and I feel better. I am pretty much eating an unlimited variety of fruits and non starchy vegetables. I eat at least eight to ten servings a day because I am so hungry. I am still eating a piece of cheese once or twice a day. Of course I am also exercising every single day. If I miss a day it is harder to go back. My other big change is that I am not drinking any beer or wine. It stinks, but I want to fit back into a 10, which is not a porker size, for summer dresses and swim suits.
It is hard to lose weight, but I keep visualizing what I can be and where I want to be in three or four months. That helps a lot. And the counting never ends!!!
Have a great and active weekend!

Old 04-24-2009, 01:32 PM

137 posts, read 474,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherz View Post

Good for you, FeatherZ! Keep up with your routine; it sounds like it works well and you are committed to it! I think this is also a big part of the picture---finding what works well for each person is individual and needs to be looked at carefully.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:02 PM

4,391 posts, read 9,483,682 times
So much for the just turned 40, I am 50ish and noticed the metabolism change for sure. I am 5' 7" and in my 20's weighed 120-125 and thought I looked fine, maybe I was too thin I don't know. Then jump 20 years later when I turned 40 (and five kids later) I weighed 155 but lost 15 lbs and weighed 140 and almost looked anorexic. I don't understand how at 140 I looked to thin and at 120 in my 20's I looked normal. Now here I am 50ish and weigh 160 (and I can 8 on some things but mostly a 10 on others) but I would be happy to weigh 150. My question is how when you are younger 120 looks like the 140 at 40. Is it due to the widdening of the hips because of having children? I have had a hysterectomy also but still have my ovaries and I am not even sure if I have gone through menopause. I had my hysterectomy at 45.

Old 05-04-2009, 08:13 AM

352 posts, read 482,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
When I hit 41, I did not change my activity level and I did not change my eating habits and I gained 50 pounds within 6 months.

Yeah, your metabolism changes. Don't ask me why, don't ask me how but it sucks to high heaven.

20yrsinBranson
if you didnt change anything in your activity level or eating habits, 50 lbs in 6 mo is a lot ... did you have your thyroid checked ?

Old 10-10-2009, 02:31 PM

8,840 posts, read 4,804,457 times
I know this is an old thread, but I was looking for a similar topic and this popped up.

In the last 2 years(I'm now 41), I have gained 30 lbs. The first ten were not a surprise - I went back to work full-time, wasn't getting to the gym as much, some stress eating. The next 20 - I don't know. I've been trying on and off to lose it for months now. I'll track every calorie(1200/day goal), go to the gym more often(4-5X/week, cardio and strength training)and after several weeks, won't see a change. Then I get discouraged and stop tracking, and the cycle starts again.When I weigh in after being "off", though, my weight is still the same.

I've had to watch my weight my whole life, and on the whole I'm a healthy eater and I exercise, but this is SO discouraging. I went to the doctor to have my hormone levels checked, but everything was fine.

Is it really the age? This has been such a dramatic change for me. I haven't weighed this much since I was 8 months pregnant!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss