Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2009, 08:03 AM

2 posts, read 6,865 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am desperately trying to lose weight,I'm eating right,excercising 5 days out of the week on the ellipticall machine,treadmill,and crunches to help my stomach go down. I had a baby last year and it seems so hard to lose the weight.The only area I really want to lose is my stomach area. I heard about the Alli diet and was thinking about trying it. Is anyone familiar with this diet and how it works?as the regular way doesn't seem to be working quick enough for me. or any have any advice about how to lose the weight on my stomach quickly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 08:11 AM

72 posts, read 184,846 times
My husband and I are using Alli. We like it and can see results. It basically helps you loose like 50% more fat then just eating low-fat. You have to eat low-fat or you will have the side effect that most people talk about and that is the leaky BM. If you can eat low-fat I think it will work. You are already exercising so that is a big plus. So far I have lost 8 pounds with very little exercise just eating low-fat, not past 7 o'clock at night, no soda not even diet because it will still bloat you. I too have the "baby bulge" and wonder if I will ever get rid of it or is it just loose skin. I have seen my belly shrink and can fit into clothes that I could not button a month ago. We take one with every meal that we think is over 6 grams of fat. We just feel that it is wasting the pill to take one with anything lower than that. I think in the book when you buy the starter kit it allows for 15 grams of fat per meal to be safe from side effects. Go to their website and you can get a 10$ off coupon and learn a lot more. It is for sure worth a try. My hubby has lost 20 pounds already in a month, but he always looses faster than me.

Good Luck!!

Old 06-03-2009, 08:21 AM

2 posts, read 6,865 times
Thanks so much for the information. It sounds pretty good. I am willing to sacrifice in order to lose this belly fat. I was wondering if you can stop taking it after you get the results you want or is there a certain time frame you have to take it?

Old 06-03-2009, 10:47 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,449,778 times
Quote:
Is anyone familiar with this diet and how it works?as the regular way doesn't seem to be working quick enough for me. or any have any advice about how to lose the weight on my stomach quickly?
sassymommy33 Fitness experts agree that you can not spot reduce an area of the body. Google spot reduction myth for more info, Here's a good link
Quote:
There are two main types of fat in the stomach area. Visceral (pronounced viss-er-al) fat is stored deep inside your body. It surrounds and protects your internal organs. Subcutaneous (pronounced sub-cue-tain-ee-us) fat, on the other hand, is stored just under your skin. It's the stuff that wobbles when you jump up and down.
You may have diastasis recti (abdonimal separation) and need to do specific ab exercises to strengthen those muscles. To reduce your viscreal fat you have to lose weight overall. Healthy weight loss is 1-2 lbs. a week. That means if you want to lose 20 lbs it will take 2.5 - 5 months.

Many people have success by eating naturally. That means very few processed foods,no alcohol or sodas, no skipped meals. lots a fruits and veggies, lean protein and complex carbs at every meal and avoiding all saturated and trans fats, Basically following the USDA's Food Pyramid..
Quote:
Although there isn't an overweight person who wouldn't love to lose the weight overnight, the reality is that just isn't possible. There isn't a product or routine that can magically wash away the extra weight. But so many people are intrigued by the idea of "what if." What if it really works? What if it can spark my weight loss?

The problem with fad diets is that you become dependent on them. Even those products that do seem to help do not work in the long run and you can't keep the weight off. The minute you stop taking the product or plug back in the "forbidden" foods, you gain back the weight you've have lost, plus some.

A good rule to live by is to only start something you can comfortably continue for the rest of your life. It is important tolearn how to eat healthy, natural foods and make it a part of your new lifestyle.

Although there isn't an overweight person who wouldn't love to lose the weight overnight, the reality is that just isn't possible. There isn't a product or routine that can magically wash away the extra weight. But so many people are intrigued by the idea of "what if." What if it really works? What if it can spark my weight loss?

The problem with fad diets is that you become dependent on them. Even those products that do seem to help do not work in the long run and you can't keep the weight off. The minute you stop taking the product or plug back in the "forbidden" foods, you gain back the weight you've have lost, plus some.
Do you know your BMR? Are you also doing strength training?

Quote:
Basal Metabolic Rate Calculator
You expend energy no matter what you're doing, even when sleeping. Thus your Basal Metabolic Rate is the number of calories you'd burn if you stayed in bed all day - a tempting idea for some. If you've noticed that every year, it becomes harder to eat whatever you want and stay slim, you've also learned that your Basal Metabolic Rate decreases as you age. Likewise, depriving yourself of food in hopes of losing weight also decreases your BMR, a foil to your intentions. However, a regular routine of cardiovascular exercise can increase your BMR, improving your health and fitness when your body's ability to burn energy gradually slows down.

Old 06-09-2009, 07:08 PM

35 posts, read 102,619 times
I'm a big fan of Prevention magazine and bought the Flat Belly Diet since they endorsed it and the diet doesn't seem hard to follow. Its the first diet I have found that has worked for me (with the exception of Weight Watchers - that's a great program, too) and I have actually noticed a big difference in my belly bloat. I don't feel hungry on the diet and I actually have more energy. You may be able to check it out of the library to see if its something you'd like.

I should add that I have incorporated more weight/strength training in my routine and I think that has made a big impact as well.

Old 06-25-2009, 01:11 PM

628 posts, read 2,069,501 times
I agree with NCgirl, transition to more veggie/fruit diet with less meat. Flat stomach is 90% diet / 10% exercise. And it never happens quickly so you can give up on that idea.

Old 08-31-2009, 04:20 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
"PHARMACEUTICALS

FDA is probing weight-loss drug

The Food and Drug Administration is investigating reports of liver damage in patients taking alli, the only nonprescription weight-loss drug approved by the agency.

Regulators say they have received more than 30 reports of liver damage in patients taking alli and Xenical, the prescription version of the drug. The reports, between 1999 and October 2008, included 27 hospitalized patients and six who suffered liver failure.

Alli and Xenical are marketed by British drug maker GlaxoSmithKline, although Xenical is manufactured by the Swiss firm Roche.

Roche referred questions to GlaxoSmithKline. A spokeswoman for GlaxoSmithKline said there is no evidence the company's drug causes liver injury, noting that it primarily acts on the intestinal tract. She said alli's safety has been studied in more than 30,000 patients enrolled in 100 clinical studies."

from

Google Maps adds Southern California traffic information -- latimes.com (http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-consumerbriefs30-2009aug30,0,3406878.story - broken link)

Old 08-31-2009, 05:21 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,927,572 times
Why is it important to you to lose the fat "fast"? And, furthermore, what is your definition of "fast"?

Don't bother with diet pills. Calories expended > calories taken in = weight loss.

If you're eating properly and exercising 5 days/week, you WILL see results over time. Remember that typically the faster you lose the weight, the more you put your body into shock...and the more susceptible you are to gain in back once you slack on the diet/exercise (which will happen if you're crash dieting).

Old 09-01-2009, 04:00 AM

4,266 posts, read 11,418,220 times
Default Please see my previous post

alli linked to liver disease
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss