U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-15-2009, 12:24 PM

2,243 posts, read 3,784,122 times

Advertisements

I went and bought the Iron Gym yesterday and in the little pamphlet it came with it mentions that you should eat all your fruit before 1pm? Why is that?
Anyone else ever heard that? What is the reason behind it?
I thought fruit was fine to eat at any time of the day.

It also says you should eat all heavy starches like pasta, rice, oatmeal before 1pm as well and eat six small meals a day with no more then 3 hours time in between meals- yikes who has time for that.

Last edited by Autumn07; 06-15-2009 at 12:25 PM.. Reason: mis-spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 04:40 AM

8,809 posts, read 15,153,447 times
Every single person you ask will tell you something different. I wouldn't worry about fruit after 1p.m. It's just someone's idea, it doesn't mean anything.
The latest i eat fruit sometimes is 2 hours before bed. I like having an organic apple or a couple of small oranges as a late night snack while reading or online. Never makes you gain weight, quite the opposite really.

Old 06-17-2009, 03:20 PM

2,243 posts, read 3,784,122 times
PinkString,

Thank you for the reply.

Old 06-18-2009, 04:44 PM

19 posts, read 44,406 times
I have always followed the concept of fruit ONLY on an empty stomach for digestion and fruit excusively till noon (Fit for Life book reccomends this) and feel great. I highly reccomend following the principals in that bookI have never felt better and never have any stomachaches or discomfort after eating thanks to the rules it has on food combinations.

Old 06-20-2009, 10:21 AM

42 posts, read 91,102 times
Yes, Fit for Life was where I first learned about food combining, too. The thought behind "only fruit" until noon is that the body is still in an elimination cycle until that time; fruit being a cleanser is considered not to interfere with that. The plan did, however, allow for fruit at other times of the day, so long as there had been at least a 3-hr interval since the last (properly combined) meal.

I don't follow it so strictly anymore but continue to adhere to the fruit being the first food consumed each day. For the record, I did lose 40 lbs in 6 wks while following it to the letter. That was postpartum so much of it was pregnancy gain. I believe much of the benefit I received was due to the "whole foods" focus.

Old 06-21-2009, 08:09 AM

1,356 posts, read 1,243,447 times
PinkString is correct. You will hear different things from different people

I would say that you can eat fruit throughout the day. I have heard that when you are eating meals, fruits should be the first thing that you consume. Then wait 20 to 25 minutes so that the fructose from the fruit can be digested. Afterwards, you can eat the rest of your meal. I have also heard that it takes about 2 to 3 hours for the rest of the meal to be digested. So, after that, you can eat another fruit. I really have not heard anything about eating fruits only before noon or 1pm.

But, as I said before, many people will say many different things. Ultimately, it all depends on what works best for you.

Old 06-21-2009, 08:43 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,524,808 times
Most ppl should eat fruit in the morning or before a workout. Fruit is sugar and has the SAME effect as good old table sugar in the body. Granted it has certain vitamins/minerals but nothing that can't be found in vegetables which are overall healthier. My advice is to consume fruit early in the day or around workouts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss