U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 10:18 AM

18 posts, read 76,013 times

Advertisements

Just be careful when you're sick. You do need food. I would suggest trying chicken broth and adding some tofu shirtaki noodles to the broth to make it like noodle soup. The noodles are only like 40 calories for the whole bag. You can buy those at a Top Food and drugs grocery store or probably a nutrition store. Good Luck. I had a really bad up day yesterday. Way to much food. But that's not going to get me down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 02:04 PM

27 posts, read 82,889 times
Thank you for the suggestions hs69391. I have looked for those shirtaki noodles at our local Zehrs but they didn't have any - I will go tonight and look for them at the health food store (thanks for reminding me about them!)

I took an asperin and did Day 1 of my new "personal trainer" mp3 program: MP3 Fitness Training - Download Workouts to iPod: Total Wellness Consulting Toronto which I purchased and downloaded earlier in the summer and had decided today was the big start date. I had listened to it earlier and figured Day 1 was going to be a breeze. It was not! I can't believe how difficult I found it...but I am sick so I will take that into consideration. I have also had an Atkins shake for my down day and will have more later...but in all honestly, I am not hungry (probably a combination of being sick and from all the food I ate over the weekend at the girls' reunion). But I was determined that today would be my start date and so far so good!

Don't worry about eating too much on your up day - that is the beauty of this way of life and what will keep you from getting bored and tired and giving up on the whole damn thing. Being able to eat pretty much what you want on the up day is one of its benefits! And besides, as long as you are keeping your down days low in calories, you can't help but continue to lose weight. There will be up days where you eat more than other up days but it will all work out in the end.

Old 09-14-2009, 02:50 PM

Thanks for reminding me. I really needed that. If you have access to the EAS carb advantage shakes they are great for this diet. They only have 110 calories in them. I will be doing my daily jog as soon as my husband gets home from work. The down days do get a lot easier. Tea is my very best friend. LOL.

Old 09-14-2009, 05:06 PM

I just got back from the health food store and they don't have the noodles either...but they took my name and number and are going to see if they can get them in. When I get finished with the Atkins shakes, I will look for the EAS carb advantage shakes - thanks for the tip! How far do you jog? My husband and I have taken part in a "learn to run" clinic two years in a row but I still do not like jogging. I now have an elliptical machine where I can alternate biking and jogging. I really like it as it seems to do the trick with breaking up my boredom. Anyway, enjoy your jog!

Old 09-14-2009, 10:52 PM

I usually jog/walk 3 miles a day. It was really hard for me to get started. I started out slow and worked myself harder everyday. I try to jog at least 30 minutes straight and then I start alternating between jogging and walking. It takes about 45 minutes to finish. Elliptical machines are great I used to use one everyday then we moved and had to get rid of it. I hope your first day has gone great. Just remember you can eat tomorrow. I will be finishing the day with around 200 calories.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:45 AM

Wow - 200 calories! That's great!! I was under 500 so I am pleased. I have had a piece of home-made banana bread for breakfast this morning so all is well *grin*. 3 miles a day is really good! I was aiming for 5 km (I'm in Ontario, Canada) which is probably roughly the same, and it is a good walk/jog! I am sore from starting my "personal trainer" MP3 program yesterday but I am looking forward to being able to do it without dying. I am in my exercise clothes as I type and am about to begin Day 2 which is a cardio workout (I might find it easier). This first week is supposed to be just an introduction and he has said that if I'm finding it too easy, not to worry as it will be getting more difficult - yikes! Just goes to show how out of shape I am! After I finish up here, I have to hit the road and will be out all day, so have a good one!!

Old 09-15-2009, 03:59 PM

That's great that you made it under 500 on your first day not many people do. MMM banana bread my favorite. Good for you for starting a workout program. I don't think I could get through this diet without working out, it keeps me busy. Don't worry about being out of shape so am I. I am near Seattle Washington and everyone here either runs or rides bikes. So I figured I'd try running and I just love it. Have a great day.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:51 PM

I was surprised at how difficult I found the cardio - obviously I've been too easy on myself and need a "personal trainer" to push me out of my comfort zone. I am so stiff and sore...but I am determined and will be getting up early tomorrow to do my Week 1, Day 3 (circuit). I get to have Thursday off so I am looking forward to that! I will be working tomorrow on my 'down' day so that will be a challenge (I usually eat to get through the day). I don't think I overdid it today...although I did treat myself. How was your day?

Donna

Old 09-16-2009, 02:10 PM

Not to bad. I didn't do my run though just didn't feel like it. My daughter is coming down with a cold so I took care of her. Today is turning out to be pretty tough. I have had hardly any sleep because she kept me up all night. I will be doing my run today though. I'm going to try and stick to under 300 calories today we'll see.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:45 PM

I'm sorry your daughter is coming down with a cold - colds are certainly going around right now. Did you get your run in? I was pleased with myself because I usually give myself the days I'm working off (I only work 2 days a week) but I am in a 3-day seminar this weekend and knew I wouldn't be able to do it on the weekend, so although I am extremely stiff and sore, I got up early and continued to follow my personal trainer schedule - yay for me! I get tomorrow off (another yay!) and I will have to work something out for Friday. The program assumes you will work out 5 days a week but because this is the first week, I was given an extra day off. Next weekend I won't have the seminar and will be able to switch it to the weekend instead if I want. I found today harder food-wise too which I was expecting because of being at work. I have just tallied my calories and it's not bad at about 650 (including a bunch of Halls at 15 cal each)...but I am looking forward to tomorrow (an up day AND a day of rest - wahoo!) Have a good one tomorrow!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss