Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 01:26 PM

55 posts, read 59,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicejb View Post
Wohooo!!! 13 lbs is really really good! How has your life changed? Have you gone shopping for new clothes now? What classes are you taking? Are you joining the aerobic classes at the gym? Last time you told me you were using the point system for every physical activity you embarked.

Are the foods delicious? I almost tried the nutri-system but thought better of shedding some cash on the cost. Trying to save, he he.

Congrats, dear lady!
Hi Alicejb: Good to hear from you and thanks for the encouragement. Nope, no new clothes yet. As everyone who has weight issues know, we all have clothes in our closet varying in sizes. I have my "fat" clothes, my "medium fat" clothes, my "healthy sizes" and then there are those smaller sizes put away for safe keeping..probably out of style now! LOL.

I have been doing alot of swimming in our pool...laps. Pool is 20X40 feet so laps are good. Then, I walk and of course there is the housework. I have just recently taken to doing curls with a 2 pound weight just to try to tone my arms a little.

The foods on this diet are amazing. I have been cooking out of their cookbook and nothing I have had so far tasted bad. It is all good!!

Class coming up this Saturday and I am so looking forward to going. I am making new friends and find other people's stories interesting and inspiring. I do have to admit that I am having a hard time when some of the people there get emotional over being heavy and am trying my best to encourage them. No one has any idea how sad a heavy person can be especially if they don't like themself. I have, fortunately always been a happy "fat camper" so to speak...no issues with liking Pam at all and can only hope that I can cheer a sad "soul" up when their spirits are down.

Talk with you real soon....Pam
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 10:18 AM

55 posts, read 59,698 times
Conn. Pam - Finished Week Six and Holding at 13.5 pounds lost

Hey everyone. Lost a half pound this week which is ok with me as I did feel I was losing too fast. It is good to not lose to fast because when you do, you can lose muscle mass and I don't want what little "mass of muscle" I do have to go away.

Class was inspiring this week; lots of good losses. The lady who sits next to me at class had been stuck at one point with her weight and just broke through with a 5 pound loss. We were all so happy for her. She said the difference was in her level of activity and also how dedicated she had been last week to tracking her food that she ate.

Each day we are given a certain number of points that we are allowed to have and when you eat something, you deduct points from that total. If you forget to deduct even a taste and have done a lot of "tasting" during the day, your points can get used up before you know it.

So, the moral to the whole dieting story has been, stay active and keep track of the foods you are eating. Sounds simple but can be tough at times as we are all still reeducating our eating habits in general.

Onward and downward I go.....wish me luck as I begin week six. I am liking me a whole lot better already and thanks for all your continued support. Those before and after pictures should be on here soon if I keep up this weight lost pace.

Conn. Pam

Old 08-23-2009, 03:08 PM

2,278 posts, read 3,922,122 times
Ms. Pam, will you please try or promise to show us some pics to show progress? Only when you're comfortable enough to. I'd love to see how far you've come along.

Good going and full speed ahead!!

Old 08-23-2009, 03:25 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conn Pam View Post

Each day we are given a certain number of points that we are allowed to have and when you eat something, you deduct points from that total. If you forget to deduct even a taste and have done a lot of "tasting" during the day, your points can get used up before you know it.
Wouldn't it be nice to be able to live life without going through this obsession with watching calories or points or carbs or whatever? You know, the way naturally not overweight people do.

Which would rather have, $1M cash or effortless goal weight?

Old 08-23-2009, 04:52 PM

4,391 posts, read 9,484,326 times
[quote=Charles;10415817]
Quote:
Wouldn't it be nice to be able to live life without going through this obsession with watching calories or points or carbs or whatever? You know, the way naturally not overweight people do.
Sure would, but that isn't an option for a lot of people. So I think it's great what she is doing and documenting it. She is interested in improving herself and making a change

Old 08-23-2009, 06:29 PM

[quote=Chickrae;10417038]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post

Sure would, but that isn't an option for a lot of people.
I agree. Having a tendency to be overweight, and therefore necessarily unhealthy, is a condition like diabetes, or asthma, or whatever - it has to be managed. Some people don't have a tendency to be overweight, (those with the "lucky" genes), just like there are people who don't have diabetes.

I was just at 31 Flavors here in Huntsville tonight. My wife and I were enjoying our ice cream outside (it is amazingly only 73F here tonight - that's frigid for Huntsville in August) and we noticed this family walk out. The mom was average, maybe a tinsy winsy overweight, but not a problem. The kids were not overweight. The dad was really thin and he had his Cotton Row 10K T-Shirt on. He looked like a runner. The mom and the kids were eating ice cream, the dad was not. I was so tempted to walk up to him and ask "Excuse me sir, I realize this is none of my business, but, our of curiosity, why didn't you get any ice cream?". I chickened out of course, but I really wanted to know.

I'll bet he just didn't want any. I don't think he even has to try. He has the "lucky" genes. I've had thin friends who would prefer a bowl of fruit over a bowl of ice cream even if they were nutritionally (calories, fat, etc) equivalent.

Last edited by Charles; 08-23-2009 at 06:46 PM..

Old 08-23-2009, 08:03 PM

It's hard to say why he didn't choose to eat the ice cream. Maybe he was full from dinner or maybe like you said he just didn't want any and preferes fruit.
I had always been pretty thin until about 15 years ago when I passed over that old age of 40. I guess my metabolism changed...well I am blaming it on that. Now if I look at a hamburger and fries it seems I gain 3 lbs. I think I have been trying to lose 15 lbs for the last 15 years trying one method or another. Did Jenny Craig about 8 years ago (which worked and I put it back on) Nutri system...lost 5 lbs or so but couldn't stand the food, and sorry to say 12 years ago, I did phen phen why...because eveyone in my neighborhood was doing it ( I probably have heart problems because of it, who knows) That was when I was very skinney. I decided whatever I do, it will be something I will do the rest of my life because I don't want to make the effort and w.watchers seemed to be the thing that could work because basically you just choose the foods you want and stay in the points for the day. So far it's working. I am down 5 lbs in a litte over two weeks and I haven't been hungry yet and I like what I am eating.

My mom has diabetis and has been over weight most of her life. She had a scare with an infection about a year ago and she basically almost died. It was a big enough scare to have her follow a doctors diet and she lost 60 lbs. She has about 15 more to go and she looks great.

Since there is diabetis in our family I stay pretty clear of sugar as much as possible and try to watch what I eat.

I think I had "lucky genes" until I got older and then something happened.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connecticut Pam View Post
Stay with me friends and I promise as soon as I reach a decent weight, I will post a before and after on here.
Haven't read an update in a while.

Old 09-08-2009, 12:15 PM

2,919 posts, read 6,829,346 times
Default Update on Pam!!

Pam will be back soon. She had computer problems which led to problems with her City-Data account, but we have been in touch and she will be back a.s.a.p.!!

She wanted everyone to know she is well and misses you!

Old 09-08-2009, 05:17 PM

Great, because I am very interested in her progress. She has had such good luck and she is an inspiration to all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss