U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 08:36 AM

1,232 posts, read 1,341,499 times
Default thinking of doing my own Nutrisystem type diet

I was on their website and everything looked great, then went and searched this forum and everybody pretty much said the food is yucky, which I suspected anyway.

Here's my idea for a do it yourself Nutrisystem/Jenny Craig type diet, tell me what you think, or even better, has anyone out there done anything like this?

Breakfast - Fiber one bar

Snack - 10 almonds

Lunch - South Beach Diet frozen pizza or flatbread sandwich (I've had them and they are reeeaaallly good), piece of fruit

Snack - bowl of oatmeal with a bit of brown sugar and splash of milk

Dinner - South Beach diet frozen dinner

Snack - chocolate protein shake

What does anyone think? Am I going to be starving to death? I tend to eat big portions because I get soooo hungry, that's my problem. But I'm thinking with all the snacks maybe I'd be OK>

So NS and JC are about $400 a month. Those SB meals are around $4 per, so that's two per day, times 30 days, would be $240. Then maybe $100 for everything else? Does that sound about right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 09:23 PM

1,452 posts, read 2,664,193 times
With Nutrisystem and JC you have to supplement the food with snacks, etc, so I'd say you're coming out ahead.

I found the biggest problem with any diet is the amount of work involved, you're always involved with food, buy food, prepare food, plan diets, you're always thinking about food! If Nutrisystem works, its because its thought out for you.

But I lost weight once doing almost exactly what you're doing, buy my own prepared diet meals, South Beach or whatever, supplement it with sensible side dishes, and I did lose 10 pounds! The trick, as you're finding, is to have your meals pre-prepared for you. Just take it to work, or have it at home, less fuss, more weight loss.

Helps if you live alone so you don't have to be tempted by other people's food.

Old 08-12-2009, 09:25 PM

1,452 posts, read 2,664,193 times
Also if you like big portions, eat a lot of "nothing" a big salad mainly of lettuce, type A veggies,diet salad dressing, I found just eating a big bowl of something helped with the cravings. Also, I read somewhere that the very act of chewing helps satisfy appetites.

Old 08-12-2009, 09:44 PM
NCN

14,084 posts, read 12,018,864 times
I had a neighbor who when away on business for a while and just to have something to eat that he could prepare in the microwave, he did 2 tv meals a day and if I remember correctly, cereal and fruit for breakfast. And once again, if I remember correctly, he lost somewhere around 30 pounds before the business was finished, which may have been 4 to 6 weeks. I don't know if he had other food, but I doubt it because he would have been really busy.

Have you counted up the number of calories this would be and calculated how many calories you would need to lose weight. That is really the secret, plus finding the foods that have that many calories that will satisfy and fulfill your hunger. I will post a link in a minute to a calculator that will help you decide. Please remember to be patient and keep with the diet too. You didn't put it on in a day and it will not come off in a day. It really wouldn't be healthy if it did.

If you are losing weight, please be sure to exercise too. We had another friend that went on WW points and just did the diet and his desk job. He ended up having back surgery and the doctor told him that his fat had been supporting the bones in his back and when he lost weight without exercising, it left a void that did not support. If he had exercised it would have produced muscle and he MIGHT have avoided the problem.

Tool: Calorie calculator - MayoClinic.com

The diet calculator on this website takes a minute to load, so if your computer is as slow as mine tonight, just go to the website and wait until the calculator comes up. If you start clicking around, you may never find it.

When you discover the number of calories it should take to maintain your present weight, just subtract 500 calories per day for a one pound per week loss and 1000 calories per day for a 2 pounds per week loss. One pound equals 3,500 calories. If you try to eat too little, your body will think it is starving and will not give up the weight, so I would suggest subtracting 500 calories first and then if that does not work, you can try using fewer.

It is my opinion that most people are not successful on a diet because they try to lose it too fast. Slow and healthy is the way to go. I think that is why the WW points diet is so successful. It allows you to not starve your body.

So don't forget to recalculate about once a week.

Last edited by NCN; 08-12-2009 at 10:13 PM..

Old 08-13-2009, 12:32 AM

10,920 posts, read 9,539,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claud605 View Post
I was on their website and everything looked great, then went and searched this forum and everybody pretty much said the food is yucky, which I suspected anyway.

Here's my idea for a do it yourself Nutrisystem/Jenny Craig type diet, tell me what you think, or even better, has anyone out there done anything like this?
Nutrisystem is a low gylcemic diet. Both the Abs Diet and the South Beach Diet follow the same basic principles. I would just pick up a cheap copy of South Beach (pretty easy to find) and you'll be ready to go.

Old 08-13-2009, 05:46 AM

1,232 posts, read 1,341,499 times
thanks everyone, I think I'm gonna try it, seems like it would be so easy and that is what I need I think. I'm starting Monday - haha- no really. I'll keep everyone posted.

Old 08-16-2009, 02:36 PM

4,162 posts, read 5,650,395 times
Smart ones are good dinners too. I would always have a salad about 1/2 an hour after your lunch entre and dinner entre. That is something I learned when I was on the Jenny Craig progrma. As marylee54 mentioned, salad does help with cravings and keep you full, not to mention its good to help digest your other food also.

Special note: Love those fiber one bars. They do keep you feelilng full not to mention lots of fiber. I think only 2 points on the W.W point system)which is what I am doing now) The honey/carmel ones are my favorite. Never eat two of those in a day though....bad idea. I was cramping so bad.

Old 08-23-2009, 11:25 AM

1,475 posts, read 3,343,143 times
Claud605, I've lost 19 pounds doing what you are doing. I've been doing it for almost 3 months. TONS of vegetables, very little alcohol and sugar, some exercise.

Good luck!!

Old 08-23-2009, 11:40 PM

4 posts, read 14,303 times
Default counting calories and meetings at TOPS

the problem with any of them pre packaged foods is that you never learn how to eat properly on your own..i cant afford to buy from JC or NS so i cook all my meals..so what i am doing is counting calories...i eat 1500 each day...i am very obese but its slow but steady..
i eat my 3 meals and 2 snacks in between..i switch some of my ingredients for low cal or sugar free which helps alot..
i do some exercise..pedal bike and bands..

Old 08-25-2009, 01:49 PM

5,552 posts, read 8,713,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chatty53 View Post
the problem with any of them pre packaged foods is that you never learn how to eat properly on your own..i cant afford to buy from JC or NS so i cook all my meals..so what i am doing is counting calories...i eat 1500 each day...i am very obese but its slow but steady..
i eat my 3 meals and 2 snacks in between..i switch some of my ingredients for low cal or sugar free which helps alot..
i do some exercise..pedal bike and bands..
how do you like TOPS? I've heard some stuff about it and it sounds good and seems pretty inexpensive (<$30/year). thinking of joining a local group myself
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss