U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-28-2009, 04:15 PM

133 posts, read 267,387 times
Default Gym Etiquette

I'm somewhat of a gymrat newbie and would like to know from other fellow gym goers, is there some sort of gym etiquette (kinda like NYC subway etiquette).
Today I was enjoying my work out and low and behold, every machine I would go on for about 15 mins, this girl would follow me and stand behind me huffing and puffing because she wanted to use it...
I mean there was plenty of other equipment and machines she could of used until I was finished. Is there some sort of limit of time one should use a machine if someone else is waiting, or was she just being a ........? lol
The reason I'm asking is because about a month ago someone at my gym impolitely accused me of hogging a treadmill that I was on for only 15 mins.
Maybe I should just switch gyms?
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2009, 11:53 PM

8,424 posts, read 23,359,491 times
Report them, they can't bully you off a machine and no gym want that type of client. Any gym I was in had a list with slots. You signed in for the machine and looked at the sheet for when it would be ready. But tell the mngmt. Usually use of machines are allowed for up to an hour with cardio things.

Old 12-29-2009, 10:04 AM

41,347 posts, read 45,359,696 times
Wear head phones. Listen to nice music. Ignore them. Seriously. That's why God created Ipods!

Old 12-29-2009, 02:58 PM

12,980 posts, read 17,728,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dance_or_REBEL View Post
Today I was enjoying my work out and low and behold, every machine I would go on for about 15 mins, this girl would follow me and stand behind me huffing and puffing because she wanted to use it...
What the heck kind of machines are you using if every machine you go on you use for 15 minutes? I can understand a treadmill or elliptical because those are the only machines where you can use for some extended time. But if you were using non cardio machines then you needed to either finish your set or allow her to work in with you in between sets. If you were on ANY non cardio machine for 5, 10, 15 minutes or more then YOU are breaking gym etiquette.

This "every machine" part of your post is what is disturbing. Hope you werent using say a leg press machine, and just sitting there in between your sets, I would definitely report you.

Old 01-01-2010, 09:17 AM

15,219 posts, read 12,763,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dance_or_REBEL View Post
I'm somewhat of a gymrat newbie and would like to know from other fellow gym goers, is there some sort of gym etiquette (kinda like NYC subway etiquette).
I mean there was plenty of other equipment and machines she could of used until I was finished. Is there some sort of limit of time one should use a machine if someone else is waiting, or was she just being a ........? lol
The reason I'm asking is because about a month ago someone at my gym impolitely accused me of hogging a treadmill that I was on for only 15 mins.
Maybe I should just switch gyms?
If you were on a cardio machine like a treadmill, bike, stairmaster, etc., I would say she is the one being rude.

But if you are using a weight machine for up to 15 minutes and rest between sets without offering to let her work her sets in between yours, then you are the one being rude.

Old 01-02-2010, 06:22 PM

6,606 posts, read 8,539,841 times
Gym etiquette is a half hour for the machine. If you are on there for longer, I could see why she would be huffing for ONE machine. Her following you around is just ridiculous. Ignore her or turn around and look her in the eye and ask her if she has a problem.

My GF who does NOT let people bully her actually had a woman come up to her and say "That is the treadmill I run on, you need to move". My GF said no. The woman took my GF water and towel and put it on another treadmill. I was shocked that my GF actually got off the treadmill and moved. She was too tired to deal with the woman at 5 am.

If you are talking about weight machines, that is different, you can ask her if she would like to 'work in' her sets with you. You do a set, rest while she does a set, and switch back.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:56 AM

278 posts, read 637,927 times
The gym I go to has signs, 20 minutes on cardio machines. When it's not too crowded people tend to ignore that limit though.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:15 PM

1,048 posts, read 1,434,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovinOutWest View Post
The gym I go to has signs, 20 minutes on cardio machines. When it's not too crowded people tend to ignore that limit though.
That's awful. 20 minutes is not a good enough cardio workout.

Old 01-11-2010, 05:47 AM

15,219 posts, read 12,763,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecam222 View Post
That's awful. 20 minutes is not a good enough cardio workout.
Agreed; I would not join a gym that put those kind of limits on cardio machines. There are a ton of them around, I am sure everyone can find one to suit their needs.

They are busier this time of year but that usually drops off by February.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:23 AM

1,597 posts, read 2,272,560 times
Everything I know about gym etiquette I learned from SEINFELD; wipe down your machines after use and don't pee in the shower!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss