Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2010, 02:43 PM

2,015 posts, read 3,380,668 times

Advertisements

I travel often and have a terrible time not gaining weight while I travel. Workouts are generally cut out which doesn't help.

I lost about 25 pounds and had about 7 or 8 more to go last spring/summer. Felt great. Worked out nearly every day, ate right, very little beer or wine consumption.

Then I spent a month in Australia (till mid Dec), most of that time with family. Someone was always setting down baked goods, beer, nuts, nachos, BBQ meats in front of me. I know I could say no some of the time but they look hurt when I say no, and my willpower seems to take a holiday.

Now I'm visiting my family for the holidays. Oink oink. I feel just terrible. My belly is huge and last summer it was nearly gone. When we go home in a couple of weeks I know I'll be able to lose all the weight and get fit again.

But what about next time? How does everyone avoid gaining weight on holidays/vacations? I've got a long holiday this summer as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 05:10 PM

302 posts, read 885,449 times
You have to stick with the same plan. It SUCKS, especially with all that good food around, but you have to stay on course.

I still order healthy and nutritious choices. If you absolutely need to eat those goodies, than try as small of a portion as possible so you get some of the deliciousness

Use where you are as an excuse to do other exercising! Go on hikes, swim, see nature....if you are vacationing in a city, walk around, go dancing at night, etc.

Old 01-05-2010, 06:38 PM

2,015 posts, read 3,380,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreams View Post
You have to stick with the same plan. It SUCKS, especially with all that good food around, but you have to stay on course.

I still order healthy and nutritious choices. If you absolutely need to eat those goodies, than try as small of a portion as possible so you get some of the deliciousness

Use where you are as an excuse to do other exercising! Go on hikes, swim, see nature....if you are vacationing in a city, walk around, go dancing at night, etc.
What's tough right now is being in Michigan snow and cold. I do not do winter sports. However, both of the houses we visit have treadmills. so I could use those.

A biggie for me on holidays is that I give myself a licence to pig out which included drinking beer and wine. Just cutting those down would make a difference. I don't order desserts at restaurants. When family bakes something for us we feel obligated to have some. But, yes, I could make it a tiny serving. I think it's harder when we are at family's homes. Restaurants are much easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss