Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 08:17 AM

1,249 posts, read 2,461,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post

I don't think its good to get a food addict addicted to drinking instead. It can tend to switch the addiction of food to drinking. And being heavy is way better for you than being a full blown alky.
I agree with you on both points.

Also, drinking lowers your inhibitions. Makes one much more likely to give into a craving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 03:58 PM

386 posts, read 1,364,096 times
One things that works for me is combining my sweet craving with something healthy. For example, when I crave chocolate, I cut up a banana and swirl it with Hershey's syrup, or have a sliced apple and swirl it with caramel topping - I don't need a lot of the syrup, just enough to get the satisfaction for my sweet tooth. The piece of fruit helps fill me up and is healthier than eating several chocolate bars or several caramel squares. Hope that helps.

Old 01-24-2010, 09:35 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,243,693 times
Smile This was actually a question in our local newspaper today...

I'm going to try and bring it in and post it. I know I'm a terrible, emotional eater and it probably goes way back.

There are certain foods like bananas that I just can't be in the same room with - that is one of the foods I was forced to eat. I was very thin as a child and my parents belonged to the Clean Plate Club.

My husband suggested I try Nutrisystems just for a month - has anyone tried it? Maybe it would be a jumpstart for me.

Old 01-25-2010, 05:06 AM

792 posts, read 1,176,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason28 View Post
If you aren't an idiot or an alcoholic, which I happen to be both, you could also try having a couple beers or a glass of wine before bed.
Jason, thank you for your honesty. I even had a laugh at what you wrote. I understand what you are saying.

There are some very good answers here!

Old 01-25-2010, 05:22 AM

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]I was on Nutrisystem way back when they had you taking these pills that I don't think did any good. I quit.
Years ago I lost weight eating Lean Cuisine's for every meal which was about 900 calories a day and I joined the Y and exercised every morning. I know that's not the healthy way but it worked. For me, having what I could eat in a little tray and knowing that's all I get helped me. Also the fact that I lost 6 or so lbs. at a time was really an encouragement to keep going.
Then I got divorced, became a Christian, stopped smoking crack and doing meth. Before I knew it I'd gained back the 60 lbs.
Anyway, I'm thinking of joining Curves. Has anyone ever done this?
[/FONT]

Old 01-25-2010, 11:35 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,207,740 times
The alcoholics I have known who quit alcohol entirely always turned to sugar afterwards. I don't know if this is universal but I have known several who started consuming large amounts of sugar once they were alcohol-free. Alcohol is nothing more than a fermented sugar so there is probably a connection there. So I don't recommend alcohol as a sugar substitute.

As one who LOVES sugar, myself, I can tell you that the best way I have found to get off sugar is to go on a low-carb, low-fat, lots of veggies, plenty of protein diet along with plenty of exercise plus plenty of water and just tough it out for the first 7-10 days. Once your body has made the metabolic shift from a high carb/sugar diet to one without those high levels, it becomes much easier to pass up the high sugar foods. Then, it ceases to be a matter of will power and becomes a matter of discipline. I hope you can really understand that difference. Once in a great while, I splurge and have a sweet dessert but I never have them in the house--only when I'm at a family dinner or a birthday party or some occasion like that. And the next day I'm back to my regular diet so I don't fall back into the pattern again. I use both Splenda and stevia on foods and drinks (coffee, tea, oatmeal, etc.) that I want to be sweetened. I also will sprinkle Splenda on apples for some extra sweetness. I also don't eat a lot of starches because those are rapidly metabolized to simple sugars.

Good luck and I hope these suggestions help.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:53 AM

476 posts, read 1,134,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
My husband suggested I try Nutrisystems just for a month - has anyone tried it? Maybe it would be a jumpstart for me.
With Nutrisystem, you'd likely be trading a sweet tooth for high sodium /processed food. Any pre-packaged/preservative laden meals are going to be less healthful than actual lean protein, veggies, fruits, and whole grains. Still, if it's portion control you need then Nutrisystem may be helpful. Admittedly, I know nothing about any of those programs (Nutri, Jenny etc) but it sounds like a diet, rather than a lifestyle you can enjoy and sustain. Once you quit the diet, you'll be back to satisfying your sweet tooth.

Old 01-26-2010, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
tough it out for the first 7-10 days. it ceases to be a matter of will power and becomes a matter of discipline. I hope you can really understand that difference.
"Tough it out" I think is the key to stop the cravings. Then you say, "willpower" then "discipline" in that order.
I'd never thought of it this way but you are absolutely right. You gave me something to think about. Those two words are very powerful.
Thank you.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:22 PM

Bette, I heard this advertised on our local radio station today.
I think I may try it. They say it's guaranteed to make you feel full and they have a 14 day free trial.
They have lots of tools on their website too.
[url=http://www.rightsizeonline.com/]Weight Loss, Appetite Control, Hunger Management, Meal Replacement, Nutrtional Supplements from RightSize Health & Nutrition[/url]

Old 02-08-2010, 08:25 AM

196 posts, read 564,218 times
Craving sweets means your diet is lacking good carbs. Balanced diet should fix the problem. If you consume 50% of your daily calories intake from carbs you shouldn't have any sweet craving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss