Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 06:33 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,616,833 times

Advertisements

I for one don't believe that there is conclusive proof of a diet and MS connection however there has been numerous studies over the last several years showing a good correlation with having low levels of Vit-D and MS. I've also read on pubmed and other mainstream research sites showing a possible correlation with having Celiac disease and some autoimmune diseases.
IL23R: a susceptibility locus for celiac disease a... [Genes Immun. 2008] - PubMed result

Also having been quasi in the health and fitness field since 1985 (when i first started bodybuilding) have personally seen two people crippled up with MS who joined the YMCA and started to swim and later on lift weights and get off the SAD and no more fast food etc. and saw them both ''slowly'' get off their walker and leg braces as they regained their strength as it was amazing to see how diet and exercise helped them.

Lastly while nothing can or has been shown to cure ALS (which i agree with) however i have found some pubmed lab studies using SOD-1 mice showing that when they fed the mice a ketogenic diet (High fat, Low protein, Low carb) that it altered their clinical and biological manifestations of the disease.
A ketogenic diet as a potential novel therapeutic intervention in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis... [Neuro Science. 2006]- PubMed result

Which reminds me of studies showing the ketogenic diet helping many children with untreatable epileptic siezures iand nfact about 1/3 will become siezure free if implimenting the diet properly according to the foundation.
The Epilepsy Foundation - Ketogenic Diet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 06:39 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
There is also something to be said about this point:

If you are so willing to force a society to accept universal health care (or paying for other people's medical care), why is it so hard to accept the fact that people need to take better care of themselves first?

That's true health care reform - when individuals actually work hard and try not to get sick in the first place. Not force others to hand over dough so they can continue unhealthy lifestyles.

Of course there are things you can't help that happen to you. That is nowhere near the majority of health care spending, however.

Old 02-03-2010, 01:46 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,225,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
I for one don't believe that there is conclusive proof of a diet and MS connection however there has been numerous studies over the last several years showing a good correlation with having low levels of Vit-D and MS. I've also read on pubmed and other mainstream research sites showing a possible correlation with having Celiac disease and some autoimmune diseases.
IL23R: a susceptibility locus for celiac disease a... [Genes Immun. 2008] - PubMed result

Also having been quasi in the health and fitness field since 1985 (when i first started bodybuilding) have personally seen two people crippled up with MS who joined the YMCA and started to swim and later on lift weights and get off the SAD and no more fast food etc. and saw them both ''slowly'' get off their walker and leg braces as they regained their strength as it was amazing to see how diet and exercise helped them.

Lastly while nothing can or has been shown to cure ALS (which i agree with) however i have found some pubmed lab studies using SOD-1 mice showing that when they fed the mice a ketogenic diet (High fat, Low protein, Low carb) that it altered their clinical and biological manifestations of the disease.
A ketogenic diet as a potential novel therapeutic intervention in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis... [Neuro Science. 2006]- PubMed result

Which reminds me of studies showing the ketogenic diet helping many children with untreatable epileptic siezures iand nfact about 1/3 will become siezure free if implimenting the diet properly according to the foundation.
The Epilepsy Foundation - Ketogenic Diet

As usual you make great points here.

Dietary changes and exercise can have a profound impact on disease states, even ones you wouldn't think were possible or linked in any way.

The point I am making, and I believe even the OP, azriverfan has since alluded to is, nowhere near 90% of human illnesses can be traced to diet....and certainly not 100% of illnesses as has been claimed by another poster.

Lifestyle choices have a profound effect on health....that isn't even a debatable point.

It is also beyond debate that you can eat right, exercise, not smoke, get plenty of rest and STILL be blindsided by a chronic or even terminal illness that may have its roots in your genetics, your exposures (sun, chemicals, radon, etc), virus (HIV, HPV other viral mediated cancers, Hepatitis), or just bad luck.....and diet and exercise aren't going to offer any hope of cure...

Now the "big ticket items", heart disease, stroke, diabetes....diseases that may manifest because of lifestyle (or at least manifest at an earlier age) CAN be reduced, contained, modified and even cured in some instances by diet and exercise....

Heart disease is still the number one killer of men and women....TRUE health care reform aimed at modifying risk factors would not only save lives but $$$

Old 02-15-2010, 11:12 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,857,391 times
This couldn't be more right. Couple that with the latest information about retraining your body to lose fat and not muscle and you have a super winner.

Best way to lose weight

Old 02-16-2010, 08:12 AM

8,886 posts, read 5,368,429 times
I presently am scheduled for knee surgery next week. The injury was brought on by complying with the exercise recommendation of your post. Changing my diet won't improve it, either.

Old 02-20-2010, 12:42 PM

1,627 posts, read 3,216,684 times
IMHO, no two people are alike on all levels and no two people are alike in their thinking. All I can say is this. I feel better when I stay away from FAST FOOD, PROCESSED FOODS< SUGARS<HIGH FATTY FOODS and maintain my diet with fruits, nuts and vegetables and I exercise at least 30 mins a day. Am I any healthier than the next person who eats fast foods, fried foods, sugars and starchy foods? Perhaps not but if that person and myself are under the same amount of stress, chances are my body will be able to tolerate the stress much better.

Each of us know that eating the right foods, will make us feel better. So, why not want to feel better??

We are looking for the magic pill that will make us feel better without having to do all of the right things. It ain't going to happen.

I also believe that genetics has a important play in 30 percent of cancers.

Have a healthy year, feel better!!

Old 02-22-2010, 09:50 AM

1 posts, read 1,224 times
I think that it's important to eat the right quantity of food. Too much is dangerous for our body..

Old 02-23-2010, 01:54 AM

18 posts, read 57,594 times
Good post az, definately addressing the underlying issue as to why our country is 60% overweight.

Another contributor is lifestyle. People in other countries, especially Asia, walk futher to and from subway stations, workplaces, leisure and just going shopping near home. Women shop every day and often shuttle groceries on foot or by bicycle.

We Americans love our cars and the great conveniences they provide with (often) door to door service. With our cars doing the moving and hauling for us, we move less, and therefore burn far fewer calories. Add in an unbalaced diet and inevitably our fellow patriots experience expanding waistlines and all the chronic ailments you list.

Granted, we may not like walking to the store (which very well may be several miles away) so its imperative that we find healthy substitutes at the gym, pool or track. Finally, we need to incorporate those activities into a LIFESTYLE such that we don't feel obligated every time we "suit up."

Eat well, sleep well, and live well as the good doctor asserts.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:12 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,532,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Apparently we have have not been studying the same books. I can quote you documented proof that virtually all (with a few exceptions) of the ailments you reference above HAVE been successfully treated and cured via non-conventional (primarily dietary) treatments. The few that I am not aware of are ALS, Muscular Dystrophe and Glioblastoma. However, I can only read so many books. I am pretty confident that if I had all the time in the world to read all the books available, I would find instances where naturopathic treatments have cured these as well.

As far as cancer. There is so much documented proof out there of cures (ignored for financial reason by the AMA) that it would make your head swim. Not just one cure, but many. The INFORMATION IS OUT THERE for the reading. All you have to do is make a concerted effort to find it. And for everyone's sake, I hope that they make that effort.

20yrsinBranson
I know someone (or knew) who did an "alternative cure" to her cancer. She died within a year. These treatments have been shown to be bunk time and time again. Next thing you know, you're going to tell me homeopathy "has something to it."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss