Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 11:20 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake77 View Post
Just might be.. you didn't answer my question.
I'm a physician not a chiropractor. Sorry we got off on the wrong foot. Good luck in your pursuit of med school.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 01-26-2010 at 11:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 12:28 AM

2,185 posts, read 5,014,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I'm a physician trained in traditional medicine so I believe everything is "hard science" However, I do believe that just because something has yet to be proven, it doesn't mean that such a thing will not one day be proven or doesn't have the potential to be proven with hard science. Nonetheless, bluedevilz was correct in his assertion. I should have been more clear because 90% of what physicians treat in actual practice can probably be addressed with diet, exercise and lifestyle changes. However, bluedevilz is correct, if we are actually examining the number of diseases, far more than 10% can't be addressed with lifestyle changes.

73% of the people who use percents can't back it, 94% of the people who question them are wasting their time, although 40% of the people who are reading this thread find amusing, 31% are just getting angry. 74% are taking sides the rest don't care.

I'll be brief, it's late and I am on a laptop getting ready for bed.

Unfortunatly, people aren't meant to live forever, it's in our DNA. It's the code that makes us who we are, if we have talent, how smart we are, and when we will die. It's already programmed and nothing we do can change that.

Atherosclerosis, cholesterol is the real enemy. Diet and exercise can help but cholesterol is produced in the body, some people produce more than others. Avoiding meat and taking medication is simply not enough for some people. That's just the way it is.

Autoimmune diseases, diet can not prevent nor is the cause of AD's. Diet in lupus can aggravate the disease, but it cannot prevent it or cure it.

There is another auto immune disease that is chronic and crippling and now there is research claiming it's not auto immune it could be in fact congenital and it's a problem with circulatory system. This is one study I hope pans out. It will give so many people their life back.

A healthy diet and active life style is good for everyone. But I can also say 90% of the diseases cannot be prevented with diet and exercise. That's just as valid as your claims because neither has been proved.

No one can change another's mind. You're set in your ways, as am I (although I didn't used to be I suppose).

I just got smarter, what I do is private and no I am not one of the drug industry's sheeple.

But it is offensive as if it's the fault of people who are seriously ill because of their diet and lack of exercise.

Old 01-27-2010, 01:03 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times
Quote:
Unfortunatly, people aren't meant to live forever, it's in our DNA. It's the code that makes us who we are, if we have talent, how smart we are, and when we will die. It's already programmed and nothing we do can change that.
I don't think we are really in disagreement. However, if you are physician, then you know the vast majority of patients that you see have conditions that can or could have at one point been controlled with lifestyle changes. The point of this thread is people are ignorant about how much of an impact lifestyle changes can affect conditions that are seemingly not related to lifestyle change. And I will completely acknowledge that I was wrong and irresponsible to use the term "90%" And I agree with your sarcasm and the point you were trying to make.

Quote:
Atherosclerosis, cholesterol is the real enemy. Diet and exercise can help but cholesterol is produced in the body, some people produce more than others. Avoiding meat and taking medication is simply not enough for some people. That's just the way it is.
Yes, but what percentage of patients are you referring to? The overwhelming majority of people with hyperlipidemia can attribute that to multifactorial reasons. Only a tiny percentage are homozygous for familial hypercholesterolemia in which their levels are so high that statins really can't lower it. The vast majority of patients with hyperlipidemia can be controlled with statins, diet and exercise. Atherosclerosis is not limited to just cholesterol, inflammation plays a big part in this as well.

Quote:
But it is offensive as if it's the fault of people who are seriously ill because of their diet and lack of exercise.
I'm sorry if you got that impression, it wasn't my intent. I want to provide hope and encourage people to adopt a healthy lifestyle while they still can.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 01-27-2010 at 01:11 AM..

Old 01-27-2010, 09:03 AM

3,440 posts, read 8,040,288 times
Quote:
73% of the people who use percents can't back it, 94% of the people who question them are wasting their time, although 40% of the people who are reading this thread find amusing, 31% are just getting angry. 74% are taking sides the rest don't care.
Yea I agree, especially in regards to posters who rebut post after post because they're obviously incapable of having a civil discourse.

Quote:
Yea, I have read this too. The term they use is "dna sequencing errors." However, studies show that exercise slows down the aging of cell DNA.

Exercise apparently slows aging of cell DNA

Quote:
Your right Cupcake, although I still stand with the OP in that 90% of peoples health problems can be avoided though diet and exercise. People who are born sick or become sick from outside pollution is a completely different topic.

Last edited by Morphous01; 01-27-2010 at 09:13 AM..

Old 01-27-2010, 09:32 AM

3,440 posts, read 8,040,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Apparently we have have not been studying the same books. I can quote you documented proof that virtually all (with a few exceptions) of the ailments you reference above HAVE been successfully treated and cured via non-conventional (primarily dietary) treatments. The few that I am not aware of are ALS, Muscular Dystrophe and Glioblastoma. However, I can only read so many books. I am pretty confident that if I had all the time in the world to read all the books available, I would find instances where naturopathic treatments have cured these as well.

As far as cancer. There is so much documented proof out there of cures (ignored for financial reason by the AMA) that it would make your head swim. Not just one cure, but many. The INFORMATION IS OUT THERE for the reading. All you have to do is make a concerted effort to find it. And for everyone's sake, I hope that they make that effort.

20yrsinBranson
Unfortunately your information falls on deaf ears due to the pervasive passiveness that makes up this TV watching, video game playing generation.

Old 01-27-2010, 10:01 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,621,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post

Yea, I have read this too. The term they use is "dna sequencing errors." However, studies show that exercise slows down the aging of cell DNA.

Exercise apparently slows aging of cell DNA
Yeap i agree and there are numerous NIH (National Institutes of Health) Pubmed and other mainstream (university/biomedical) research studies i've researched showing ''Gene Expression'' via exercise and how that gene expression brings on health to the human body whether it's anti-inflammatory or arterial endothelial function etc.

Exercise and gene expression: physiological regula... [J Physiol. 2002] - PubMed result

http://www.biomedcentral.com/1472-6793/5/5

Last edited by Six Foot Three; 01-27-2010 at 10:19 AM.. Reason: Changed Links - 6/3

Old 01-27-2010, 01:02 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
90% of most medical problems can be fixed w Diet and Exercise
Replace the word "fixed" with "prevented" and you'd be even more correct.

Old 01-27-2010, 01:50 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,001,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea2010 View Post
Also, why is it that all the junk food (like hamburger helper, frooty loops and such) are way cheaper and put on sale way more often than healthy food?

Why is it that organic food is so expensive? Making it nearly to impossible to be "the average joe" and to eat healthy?

It is like, if you are poor or middle class, you are sentenced by society to eat junk food. But if you are high class, you have an option to eat better.

I guess, that is how social classes were meant to be....
I don't know about that. I think part of the reason for the obesity epidemic is not only that we eat the wrong things, we also eat too much of it.

I imagine that if portion control was instituted while buying organic or healthier foods, the price would be pretty comparable. You pay a higher price, but buy less of it.

Old 01-27-2010, 02:37 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,067,614 times
Question Hanging on by a thread.

My wife and I quit drinking alcohol so we are drinking a lot of water now and she has a thyroid issue that went undiagnosed for about 40 years. She has lost 100 pounds and I believe that rapid weight loss can increase purine production. She is now passing small black flakes and peppercorns, I think they are calcium. Will taking Allopurinol help prevent the formation of these stones ? She has a big titanium plate holding her spine together and was told an MRI would be useless to see if she has a huge dangerous stone lurking in a kidney that could later require treatment we can't afford. Is there another way to see a stone in a kidney ? I take Allopurinol for gout to rid myself of uric acid and wondered if that could help my wife with her stone issues. I had passed a jack-stone myself once and I measured it with a digital caliper in metrics and it was a jagged black lava-rock looking thing, in the shape of a teardrop and measured 6.5 mm x 8.5 mm x 10.5 mm ! Now my poor wife knows what I went through.
We can not go for a bunch of lab analysis and doctor visits just for nothing but I don't want her kidney to burst from a blockage
My huge stone was not seen by my MRI and I don't have any metal to mess up an image, would an ultra sound see a big stone ?
Anyone have any advise for us ? We are hanging on by a thread here. (Pun intended !)

Old 01-27-2010, 03:06 PM

809 posts, read 1,862,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea2010 View Post
I agree with OP. I also think though that it is more than just eating right and being active.
In addition to eating right and being active you gotta get rest(sleep) at least 8 hours a day, drink water and drop the soda, beer, etc...if you must have a brew, make it once a month and not everyday. the key is to lower the impact of bad foods on the body. if you can get to 85% vegan, you're dooing way better than somebody eatin g100% junk daily.

Quote:
We need to eat a more alkaline diet, reduce the acidic foods and then be more active. Some people think that eating chicken is healthy. Yeah? But what type of chicken are we talking about? For sure not fried. And how about non-organic? No! not good at all!
I can show you a chicken processing plant that would make your skin crawl. chicken is the worst of all.

Quote:
And produce? If it is not organic, you are feeding your body pure chemicals! Eventually, that is going to catch up to you and mess you up too!

Of course, someone that eats "healthy" even though the food is filled with pesticides and whatnot, is healthier than someone who is eating junk food like fastfood fries or boxes foods....but you know what I mean.

Also, why is it that all the junk food (like hamburger helper, frooty loops and such) are way cheaper and put on sale way more often than healthy food?

Why is it that organic food is so expensive? Making it nearly to impossible to be "the average joe" and to eat healthy?

It is like, if you are poor or middle class, you are sentenced by society to eat junk food. But if you are high class, you have an option to eat better.

I guess, that is how social classes were meant to be....
the key is Organic. and Your last sentence is inaccurate because if you people took th emoney they spent on junk food and prescriptions from getting sick off eating the junk food, and spent it on good food, it balances out.

Class has nothing to do with it. it's a mental thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss