Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2022, 01:31 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,401,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina14 View Post
I am morbidly obese and, in August, my A1c was measured as being in the pre-diabetic range. I had been referred to a diet doctor (a doctor of internal medicine who specialized in weight loss); and she had already started me on Metformin. She wanted to have me use Ozempic (injections); but my insurance wouldn't cover it. Then she got me on Topiramate, after some negotiation with my insurance company.

The first week was a bit difficult, because my mouth went dry and my taste of foods was initially quite affected (but not my taste of smell). I'd read somewhere that Trident Sugarless Gum could help; and I went out and bought some, and it certainly did, lessening the dryness in my mouth (so did my increased drinking of water, but it was really the gum that helped the most).

In the following weeks and months, the Topiramate (75 mg a day) suppressed my appetite somewhat and definitely suppressed my cravings (which for decades had been the main stumbling block to my successful weight control). I found I could put off my desire to binge, I would still binge; but not do it as often and not eat as much when I did so - most of the time, when I had the urge to overeat, I'd talk myself into waiting until I lost another few pounds.

My A1c has gone down; I'm no longer pre-diabetic; I've lost 35 lbs. since November and I plan on losing more. I have also lost my fondness/taste for fried foods, bread/bread products, and cheese, a shame, but I can live without them for awhile. I can still have a sandwich if it's a wrap and not between two slices of bread.

My left knee, which used to bother me sometimes, hardly bothers me at all. I've gone down one size for sure in pants/jeans and two in some pants/jeans (the stretchy ones); and two sizes in shirts.

I'm hoping to continue taking the Topiramate/Metformin for at least another six months.

Has anyone else who might be new to this topic started taking Topiramate within the last few years for weight loss? Would like to hear your stories.
Metformin isn't for weight loss. It's a pharmaceutical treatment for high blood sugar caused by diabetes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2022, 08:04 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,605,001 times
My doctor (who prescribed the Metformin) told me that it helps the body's insulin become more sensitive and can facilitate weight loss.

I have never had diabetes and hope never to get it.

Old 04-17-2022, 09:48 AM

3,234 posts, read 3,191,046 times
I was prescribed Topiramate many decades ago due to chronic migraines. The name of the drug was Topamax. I lost some weight, probably about 10 lbs., but not much more. It cut my appetite but not by a lot, and that could be due to the strength I was prescribed.

I was getting about 3, 4 migraines a month and I was down to about 4 to 6 a year, so it was a great drug. I was seeing a neurologist recommended by some nursing clients of mine and he made all the difference in the successful treatment of my migraines. I was chubby and also could afford to lose a few pounds, but the doctor made sure I saw him on a regular basis to not only monitor the migraines but also my weight. He didn’t want the medicine to induce anorexia.

I finally was weaned off the medicine after about 5 or 6 years as I entered menopause. Turns out my migraines were hormonal. At any rate, I did loss some weight although it was not a weight loss wonder drug for me, since my dosage was prescribed to target my migraines. I do remember some fogginess. And having to watch my alcohol intake, when I did enjoy a glass of wine or two.

Good luck to the OP. I also came from a family that centered around food, especially lots of it, and especially sweets. Those behavior traits embedded since childhood are so difficult to break.

Old 04-17-2022, 09:22 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,605,001 times
My parents were definitely not centered on food; that's my particular vice. I do think that there is a tendency for addictive behavior on my mother's side of the family; my mother smoked for 80 years until lung cancer ended her life in her early 90's; and her sister became an alcoholic in her late middle age. (my mother liked good food, but was quite disciplined in how much she ate) I had no desire to smoke; and I hardly ever drink alcohol; but I have very strong cravings for certain foods; cravings that for years were often too strong to resist, and the Topiramate/Topamax diminishes those cravings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss